Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obsolete technology - some old, some almost new!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
    I'll never give up my Leicaflex, can even take pictures when the battery is dead.
    & yeah, I'm a sucker fold old stuff, not "old stuff" but old stuff! & yep; I also had a Imperial once, a red -60 Crown coupe, one of the best cars I've had & one of those I regret that I sold.
    My oldest guitar is a Noso from 1950, made in Finland by a guy named Noso, there's a facebook group for them but I'm not in it. It's a big fat guitar, no case I have is big enough. Never plays it anymore, have to many other guitar & sometimes I think I ought to sell it but it never seems to happen.
    Oh, almost forgot my oldest thing: the tugboat from 1902, updated 1958 from steam to MaK.
    & so on...
    I am sorry, but "MaK" does not register with me. What is that?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Rosstude View Post
      This thread spoke to me, as I'm in the middle of a move and clearing out room by room.
      We love our rotary phones, they just sound good, and feel so good in the hand. My wife loves her pink princess phone, and I like the look of the big black Bell systems phone on the desk.
      The floppy disks, old digital cameras, and VCR tapes on the other hand, have served their purpose, and have gone.

      Being a true CASO, I've become a cable cutter, and no longer have a land line. This gizmo may be of some interest, I now can use my rotary phones via Bluetooth,
      http://www.myxlink.com/xlink_bttn.aspx
      I might be interested in buying that gizmo, but the instruction sheet associated with the link you provided shows it connected to a land line -- so I'm confused about what it can do. Correct me if I'm wrong: you cut your land line and use it to connect your rotary phones to your cell phone provider -- right?
      Skip Lackie

      Comment


      • #33
        I have an identical Pickett aluminum slide rule. It was high-tech and supposedly more accurate than the bamboo ones.

        I guess that means I'm as old as you. LOL!

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
          I might be interested in buying that gizmo, but the instruction sheet associated with the link you provided shows it connected to a land line -- so I'm confused about what it can do. Correct me if I'm wrong: you cut your land line and use it to connect your rotary phones to your cell phone provider -- right?
          I found the concept interesting. It looks like there are two units, BT and BTTN. The BT looks like it uses the cell phone providers connection and you plug the "landline" phones into it. The phones would, I guess, ring when the cellphone number rings and you could answer them and call through the cell phone system. It seems to work on bluetooth so a cellphone would need to be within range of the box.

          At least that's what it looks like to me. Bob

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Rosstude View Post
            We love our rotary phones, they just sound good, and feel so good in the hand. My wife loves her pink princess phone, and I like the look of the big black Bell systems phone on the desk.
            When you state 'feels so good in the hand', this one comes to mind: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ericofon

            Craig

            Comment


            • #36
              Gary; MaK is the diesel engine that replaced the steam engine. This one is an MS423, 390hp by 370rpm but at 250rpm without tow she makes 7 knots & has 4-6 inches water on aft deck.
              The ship lays for sale outside Groningen, Holland now.
              www.scheepsmakelaardijgoliath.nl/schepen-aanbod-detail/150968/150968/

              Ah Craig, the Cobra! yep, every family had one in the 60-70's, they were great & as any old telephone they lives on for ever & ever...
              Last edited by Noxnabaker; 06-04-2019, 12:55 PM.
              sigpic

              Josephine
              -55
              Champion V8
              4d sedan

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                I found the concept interesting. It looks like there are two units, BT and BTTN. The BT looks like it uses the cell phone providers connection and you plug the "landline" phones into it. The phones would, I guess, ring when the cellphone number rings and you could answer them and call through the cell phone system. It seems to work on bluetooth so a cellphone would need to be within range of the box.

                At least that's what it looks like to me. Bob
                Its the BT I'm using, not the BTT I originally linked to.
                It does indeed use bluetooth to link the cell phone (up to 3) to the land-line wiring in your house. Yes, the Bluetooth range is limited to about 30'. You must cut the old connection at the incoming box with the BT, I think the BTT allows land-line and bluetooth to cell. There are some cool features, it rings once for #1 cell, twice for #2, etc. Also you can access programing options with a laptop, and boost ringer power is for old phones.
                When I retired my company phone went away naturally, so I had my long time home number moved over to a call. The added $15 a month for cell, is far better than the $75+ I was paying out to old Ma Bell/ATT.
                I really like this set up, now that I'm retired I don't carry my cell as much, its on the shelf when I'm home. Plus I can block calls, and other cool features on the cell.
                sigpic
                Ross.
                Riverside, Ca.
                1957 Provincial X2
                1958 Transtar

                Comment

                Working...
                X