The last time I saw one of those.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
    Another group fast disappearing are the 1995-2000 Chrysler Cirrus, Dodge Stratus and Plymouth Breeze models. At least around here in New England. Some of the next generation are still seen from time to time.
    I still see some around here. A reasonable number considering the number originally sold (as compared to GM). A nice appearing Cirrus goes by our house daily. It is one that I arranged to get sold for the widow of the original owner (never even got a thank you - I wasn't looking for a commission, just an expression of thanks for getting it sold for her after her friends had been unsuccessful). I sold a new 1999 Breeze to a policelady. Years later, she moved in just up the street and still had the car and it still looked new. Years after that, she gave it to her mother to use (more than 100K on it at that time). More recently, it went to a neighbor just up the street who gave it to her son to drive to high school. Very recently, I see that the son replaced it with a Honda. I know that it had the optional 2.4 litre engine because that is all that we stocked. I don't see many 1990s cars of any make in regular use around here.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Some readers may even finding the mention of these cars offensive, but they were really good cars for their time. When I met my, now X-wife, she was driving a new 1974 Toyota Corolla. My X was not a fan of the 1967 Camaro RS that I was driving. One day I slid under the Toyota to change the oil, and armed with my grease gun to lub it, but there were no zerk fittings. The next time she chided me about the Camaro, I made the comment we'll see what that thing looks like when it has 125K miles on it. Well I had to eat my words. About 1996 when I stopped driving the Toy when it had 275K miles on it, and still had it original struts and running gear in place. It was still running, but the valve seats were gone, and I needed to adjust the valves about once a month, so I gave up driving it. When was the last time anyone saw their last rear wheel drive Toyota, including the classy little Cellica? How about a Honda CVCC?

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
        I thought a Chevy citation was something that a law enforcement officer gave to the driver of a Chevrolet when they had been pulled over for speeding.
        According to post 15 here--------> https://forums.aaca.org/topic/328631...lly-so-scarce/ You're right!!

It appears the entire 1980-85 X-body cars are 'Can't remember when I last saw one', not just the Citation.

Craig

Comment

This is an interesting post to me as I was a car salesman in the era of these car. This week at Adesa Auto Auction in Indianapolis I found a tired gray Chevrolet Celebrity. This was the successor car to the Citation. Back in the day I sold many truckloads of new Celebrity models and drove many new Celebrity's as demos. I was so uninterested in the malaise of the car at the auction I really didn't go over to look at it. It had to be the oldest car there. Almost no cars in the 1980s go to the dealer auctions they mostly head to the auto recyclers as there is no demand for parts.
          As for the Citation sighting in I sold many of the Pontiac Phoenix new and can't remember seeing one of those for more than a decade.

Husband of Lark VIII girl

Comment

A late friend's brother worked for GM back in the day and said from the mid-'70s through the early '80s GM stopped rust-proofing to their cars for cost-cutting reasons due to the expenses of meeting safety and emissions mandates. That goes a long way of explaining the dearth of quality GM vehicles left out there today.
            Last edited by Gunslinger; 06-30-2019, 09:15 AM.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Best selling item in Detroit.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-2T9qhnR8A

Comment

Rare sighting of a herd of wild ponies stopping at a watering hole. I guess I've seen my quota of Pinto's (AKA WMD) for the rest of my life.
                http://www.theconcordhomeinspector.c...nto%20Herd.jpg
                Last edited by JayBird; 06-30-2019, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  One day last week, I spotted a DeLorean going the other way on a county road about one mile from our home.

All of those DeLoreans are sitting in storage, awaiting the day when they will bring big money. They won't, of course.

Much of the DeLorean originated from the Lotus Esprit, so the handling wasn't an issue, but they used the puny little PRV 130 HP V6 and ended up costing $25K. It was about as fast as the contemporary Toyota Celica, which cost $7000 and was better built.

We considered buying one until I drove it. Delorean even put an 85 MPH speedometer in it. Gag.

Had they gone with the 350 HP Lotus esprit engine, those cars would be worth serious money today.

Comment

Last summer I was taking my late Dad's '84 Ford Ranger compact pickup back to the farm after some repairs when I was in a wreck. So, the Ranger has been here since. I am going to the farm for the week tomorrow and hopefully the Ranger goes too.

For the past few weeks, after getting some new tires on it (old ones probably 20yrs old and dry rotted), I have been driving it to work to get some use out of it. I was looking at a repairs log I made up for it and see it has had about 2k miles in the past 6yrs.

Those early Rangers were everywhere back in the 80s and early 90s and a lot were sold. But, they have mostly disappeared except for the occasional restored or modified 4x4 one. Dad's was used as a farm truck and is the basic 2wd model with rubber floor and few options. It was designed for its era and is not happy on the interstate at 70+ mph. Its geared for 55mph. This one has the optional V6 engine and even with that is quite underpowered on the interstate. They were a OK vehicle and I expect they all were driven into the ground, especially the base models.

The other week I came out of the office to go home and noticed a young intern from the office giving it a look over. Said intern is probably 21 or 22 and may have never seen a early Ranger before. It was already old when he was born.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
                      All of those DeLoreans are sitting in storage, awaiting the day when they will bring big money. They won't, of course.

Much of the DeLorean originated from the Lotus Esprit, so the handling wasn't an issue, but they used the puny little PRV 130 HP V6 and ended up costing $25K. It was about as fast as the contemporary Toyota Celica, which cost $7000 and was better built.

We considered buying one until I drove it. Delorean even put an 85 MPH speedometer in it. Gag.

Had they gone with the 350 HP Lotus esprit engine, those cars would be worth serious money today.
                      I agree with most, but not all of this. I had a DeLorean on order for months/years. During that time, the price kept going up. When mine came in, I took it for a ride. It drew a huge amount of attention. It also bottomed out leaving the dealership, leaked in a light rain and had insufficient power. I refused delivery on mine. The dealer didn't mind because he had a list of people that wanted one just to have one.

During a period of time, the 85 MPH speedometer was a federal requirement.

In the last couple of days, there was one sold at the B-J auction in CT. IIRC, it brought $16,000 (no reserve).

I do see one on the road around here occasionally.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                      X