No announcement yet.

The last time I saw one of those.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last time I saw one of those.......

A Chevy Citation...

Only this past week I saw one on the road

Per Wikipedia, the last one was made June 21, 1985; or 33+ years ago.

Chevrolet Citation production
    Year Sales
    1980 811,540
    1981 413,379
    1982 165,557
    1983 92,184
    1984 97,205
    1985 62,722

So, more likely a older one than later one.

It was definitely a "survivor" grade unit (would anyone ever restore one?). Vintage patina with a chunk of something hanging below dragging on the road.

Jeff in ND

Funny you should mention one of those. Friday AM I passed a Orange Chevette that would be about the same time frame or possibly earlier. Body was in good shape and the paint was shinny and no visible rust. I had a 72 that I drove the wheels off and then passed it on to my son as his first car. It finally took a major collision to put it down and that was due to no value left. As opposed to other GM products of that era, that little devil just started, ran and never let us down.

Bob

Comment

I was a salesman at O'Reilly Chevrolet on the first day they went on sale. Lots of excitement and one of the people I "uped" was actually a zone representative from Ford! Started out with a big bang because the cars at the time were reasonable priced, drove well and just felt different that anything else Chevy had to offer. Remember back then it was the Chevette, Monza, Nova, Malibu, Monte Carlo, and Impala/Caprice.

Sadly within a year, if you optioned up a Citation, price would top at $9,000. Then there were the recalls and transmission failure and bye bye Citation.

By the way, what other car had a model name of Citation? Easy question, I know.

Bob Miles

Comment

Edsel , Ed

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
          Edsel , Ed
          Yup, that the one. Another Edsel model was the Pacer, and Ford must have liked the Ranger name so much they used it for the smaller pick up. If you change one of the letters in a model of the Edsel you get Corvair.

Other than the Ranger and to some degree the Citation, the other models were not as successfully used by other auto builders. At least Ford did not take the suggestions of poet Marianne Moors's name thoughts of "Utopian Turtletop," "Pastelogram," "Turcotinga," "Resilient Bullet," "Andante con Moto" and "Mongoose Civique".

Yup went a little off topic but hoped it brought a smile to you.

Bob Miles

Comment

I thought a Chevy citation was something that a law enforcement officer gave to the driver of a Chevrolet when they had been pulled over for speeding.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Grandpa on my Mom's side had a '81 Olds Omega (same chassis as a Citation). I drove it once about 20 miles on a rural highway. It was the first time I ever drove anything with FWD and was not impressed with the handling. Maybe something was wrong with it but it seemed hard to keep it between the lines. His next and last car was a '87 Olds Cutlass Ciera and that was less squirrelly IMO.

Jeff in ND

Comment

FWD cars of that era were noted for torque steer though some were better than others in that regard. In mid-70s Honda Civics the torque steer could be bad enough to want to jump in the adjacent lane if you hit the throttle too quick.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Last week I saw a Yugo in Payson, AZ. Maneuvered to catch up with it to positively identify. It was orange, and didn't appear to be a restoration of any type. Thought those things had disappeared years ago.

tempestan

Comment

One day last week, I spotted a DeLorean going the other way on a county road about one mile from our home.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Saw a Vega buzzing across town about two weeks ago. It had been hot-rodded long ago, and it looked like the driver was the one who had originally done the hot-rodding of it. It was in grey primer with huge rear tires and something sticking out of the hood.
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I probably had at least a couple hundred of those in their time (Citation/Omega/Phoenix/Skylark) as a used car dealer. I can tell you that as a whole they or excellent cars for their class and time. I am sure that I own pretty much every model, body configuration, trim level, and drivetrain combination. Sure, there can be a lemon in any group, but overall they were rocksolid dependable cars. The only consistent problem I remember with them was drivability with the early V6 carbureted versions. The iron Duke based 4 Tech engine was absolutely unstoppable.

Will they ever be collectible? The answer is, they already are. Thousands and thousands of people remember driving them into the ground as good little cars. And a lot of kids grew up in them. Now most of them remember them fondly, and have interest in having one as a memento of the time. Pretty much the same as every other collectible car.

Personally, I would jump right on a copy of the first car that I ever gave Linda when we first started going together: ‘81 Omega two door, four-cylinder, stick shift on the floor, blue with those really great blue velour seats. I taught her how to drive a stick shift in that car, and it never gave us a minutes trouble. We only got rid of it because I found a real pretty Pontiac 6000 that was a few years newer, but that’s another story :-)
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by tempestan View Post
                          Last week I saw a Yugo in Payson, AZ. Maneuvered to catch up with it to positively identify. It was orange, and didn't appear to be a restoration of any type. Thought those things had disappeared years ago.
                          I still see some late '80's/early 90's Ford Festivas (which is essentially a Kia) used on a daily basis around here.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                            (Citation/Omega/Phoenix/Skylark) Will they ever be collectible? The answer is, they already are.
                            I'd sure like to know who's collecting them. I can't say I've EVER seen one at a car show, and I've attended many. Not counting F-body Camaro/Firebirds, trucks or Fieros, the only GM products from that era I've seen at car shows are one or two J-body convertibles and maybe one all-original very low mileage Chevette.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                              Yup, that the one. Another Edsel model was the Pacer, and Ford must have liked the Ranger name so much they used it for the smaller pick up. If you change one of the letters in a model of the Edsel you get Corvair.
                              Ford did market a 'Corsair' in England from 1963 - 1970. It was an upmarket model from the Cortina, and below the Zodiac/Zephyr range.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X