Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bug screen

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Just for the record, are mosquitoes here are in two sizes. The females are tiny, and the males are much larger.

    Coincidentally, the females are much smaller, but they are the only ones that suck blood out of you. I will leave it to others to draw similarities to the human species…
    This is a good one. This reminds me of a joke a heard in one in of the first reboot episodes of Hawaïi 5-0.
    " Why would you marry? Just find a woman who hates you and buy her a house!"
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #17
      Those big screens also served another purpose. Back when there were a lot more gravel roads, rock chips in the paint were very common. The screen could deflect a lot of that gravel.
      Many cars got 'nose jobs', a standard body shop procedure of refinishing just the front of a car and blending in the new paint.
      So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

      Comment


      • #18
        Thanks for the precision, Dwain. So, these were the ancestors of the current front end bras? I know these are common in the USA but almost unheard of around here. I saw my first and last one some twenty years on a Pontiac Trans Sport.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #19
          Those front end bras were popular in the 80s and 90s into early 00's but I don't think I have seen one on a newer car (last 10+ yrs). Seems that fad has passed; at least in these parts. Big grill guards on pickups are not as common as they used to be either although there are still many around.

          Interesting how car add-on fads come and go. There for a while, wood bead seat cover/overlays were all the rage and I am not sure you can even get them anymore unless there are stashes of NOS ones left over from the heyday.

          Jeff in ND

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
            Those front end bras were popular in the 80s and 90s into early 00's but I don't think I have seen one on a newer car (last 10+ yrs). Seems that fad has passed; at least in these parts. Big grill guards on pickups are not as common as they used to be either although there are still many around.

            Interesting how car add-on fads come and go. There for a while, wood bead seat cover/overlays were all the rage and I am not sure you can even get them anymore unless there are stashes of NOS ones left over from the heyday.
            Dealers are putting on the pressure for customers to spring for 3M Paint Protection Film which is nearly invisible, which seem to cling on well, and doesn't trap moisture under it like those bras did.


            Those wood bead seat cover/overlays can cause painful injury if the seat is air-bag equipped, which is why I believe they are banned. In fact, they don't recommend seat covers at all if the seats are equipped with them.


            Craig

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              Dealers are putting on the pressure for customers to spring for 3M Paint Protection Film which is nearly invisible, which seem to cling on well, and doesn't trap moisture under it like those bras did.
              I used this film on one of my vehicles (during a rally to hold the numbers on the doors) and on a bicycle. It's costly but does the job well.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #22
                "Interesting how car add-on fads come and go."

                Anyone remember the aftermarket single headlight in the middle of the grill that was popular back in the late '50's early '60's? It was kind of a fore runner of DRL's
                "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
                R.W. Emerson

                Comment


                • #23
                  My dad mounted a clear accessory light in the grill of his 61 Lancer wagon. It went where a dodge badge was before I think. He did it with several cars back then. I think also the 59 rambler american I learned to drive in.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by dleroux View Post
                    "Interesting how car add-on fads come and go."

                    Anyone remember the aftermarket single headlight in the middle of the grill that was popular back in the late '50's early '60's? It was kind of a fore runner of DRL's
                    Yes, I do remember those. My dad had one on his 1964 Plymouth wagon. Studebaker actually did offer it as a factory accessory in 1965: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...0-Idiot-Lights

                    Craig

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                      Dealers are putting on the pressure for customers to spring for 3M Paint Protection Film which is nearly invisible, which seem to cling on well, and doesn't trap moisture under it like those bras. Craig
                      I have a 3M invisible bra on my '02 Avanti. It does the job very well...especially considering how prone Avantis are to road rash in the front.

                      The only negative is there is a faint line at its rear edge that can be seen...I get occasionally asked about the "scratch" that runs across the hood.
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Bringing back this old thread....

                        This weekend, going through a stash of old negatives, I found a never before seen picture of my Dad's older sister leaning on the driver side fender of the family 1937 Ford. Photo must date from mid 40s. Aunt was married in '47 and the '37 Ford got replaced with a new '49 Mercury.

                        This is a detail crop of the larger photo.

                        There is definitely a add on fitted bug screen on the grill of the car. A screen with a sewn bound edge and has some spring things to hold it to the actual grill bars.

                        Click image for larger version  Name:	B8zRczK.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.7 KB ID:	1880791

                        I've never seen this picture before this weekend. Aunt is in sort of a awkward pose and there are some light leakage overexposure issues elsewhere on the photo so maybe they tossed the print back in the days. The other interesting to me aspect of this picture is there are literally 1/2 a handful of pictures with this car in somewhere in them and all are portions of the back or side of the car and none show the grill.

                        EDIT: OK looking at this some more, this must be '44 or earlier... Supposedly, it was '44 when a woven wire fence got put around the house to keep the chickens away (you can see a chicken on the left edge by the house!!!) and after that you could not park a car up by the house. That fence was in place until around 2000 or so. No free range (or any other ) chickens on that farm since the early 70s.

                        Jeff in ND

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Ref ; post # 18

                          Huh...,what ? I thought you guy's invented the bra (ssiere) . Was't that about.... in the roaring 20's

                          Us silly Yankee's started burning them when I was in college during the 60's .

                          Am I off topic

                          OK back to Studebaker's.... I saw a 65 Cruiser (brand new in Escanaba from Bero Motors) with the white running light as we called them back then. I went to Bero's parts dept. bought a light kit and installed it on my 54 Commander coupe. NOBODY wants to know where I drilled the mounting holes . That summer of 65 I was stopped twice by 'the fuzz' asking why I had a white light on the front of my car..and that it may be illegal . So now if you have a running light out you will get a warning ticket to get it fixed . I am ALWAYS a trend setter ahead of the curve .

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                            Bringing back this old thread....

                            This weekend, going through a stash of old negatives, I found a never before seen picture of my Dad's older sister leaning on the driver side fender of the family 1937 Ford. Photo must date from mid 40s. Aunt was married in '47 and the '37 Ford got replaced with a new '49 Mercury.

                            This is a detail crop of the larger photo.

                            There is definitely a add on fitted bug screen on the grill of the car. A screen with a sewn bound edge and has some spring things to hold it to the actual grill bars.

                            Click image for larger version Name:	B8zRczK.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.7 KB ID:	1880791

                            I've never seen this picture before this weekend. Aunt is in sort of a awkward pose and there are some light leakage overexposure issues elsewhere on the photo so maybe they tossed the print back in the days. The other interesting to me aspect of this picture is there are literally 1/2 a handful of pictures with this car in somewhere in them and all are portions of the back or side of the car and none show the grill.

                            EDIT: OK looking at this some more, this must be '44 or earlier... Supposedly, it was '44 when a woven wire fence got put around the house to keep the chickens away (you can see a chicken on the left edge by the house!!!) and after that you could not park a car up by the house. That fence was in place until around 2000 or so. No free range (or any other ) chickens on that farm since the early 70s.
                            That's a nice find, Jeff. I am not sure I would have noticed it without your comment. Well, this makes sense as these two cars were driven in the same area. Well done too about the datation of the picture. It has always been my belief that us old car lovers have to be half mechanics, half historians and half archaeologists to do our job properly.
                            Nice evening to all.
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X