Just bought this 1987 Avanti survivor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought this 1987 Avanti survivor

Just bought this 1987 Avanti 24,000 original mile survivor. Unmolested car all original right down to the 28 year old tires, which I plan to replace ASAP. My question is should I save and keep the original tires?
    Last edited by avanti76; 10-13-2015, 09:37 AM.

There will be lots of opinions about keeping the original tires. I wouldnt simply because they are not safe to use and I dont think Stude folks will ever get that anal in regards to judging. In my opinion they would just be a useless pile of scrap tires. Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Out of curiosity, what is the Serial Number (last digits)? The 1987 that I bought new was S/N ---006 (the fourth one for public sale).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

studegary here you go.

Comment

Originally posted by avanti76 View Post
          studegary here you go.

Thanks. It looks like 159 on my monitor (may be 059). June 1987 would put it toward the end of South Bend Production. The change from South Bend to Youngstown was August/September 1987. There were 186 1987 models.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Some more shots of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by avanti76 View Post
              Some more shots of the car.
              I like the rear 3/4 view of this Avanti....The tu-tone green paint job with tan side moulding looks different.....and very nice!

Comment

Pitch the tires and remove the trunk rack!

Comment

KEEP the original tires. They don't eat much, nor take up much space. What would a 1963 Avanti owner give for a set of five original tires? I know, I bought a rough used set a few years ago, perhaps just for sentimental value. stupak

Comment

Pitch the tires when you purchase the new ones, quickly I hope. No bigger PITA than storing tires for a while and then trying to get rid of them.

Nice shape for an 87. I agree the trunk rack just isn't a good fit for the Avanti style but it will take a bit of body work and paint to eliminate so it's not terrible. Bob

Comment

Right ON, sweetol... It's hard to imagine original tires for an '87 Avanti EVER being of any value. But, as a friend keeps telling me, "There are all kinds."

Comment

I don't think it's worth the paint hassle to remove the trunk rack.... leave it

Comment

I wonder if any of those interior door panels are available ???

Comment

Working...
                          X