silly question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silly question

Hi All, I have a silly question. I bought a 54 Champion coupe a while ago that someone was drag racing and pretty much ruined the car and frame, however they did leave the door handles on and something I hadn't seen before. Factory scratch guard's! When I asked a couple of guys about them they all said that they were pretty rare. Are they?
    Attached Files

Welcome to the SDC Forum!
    The "silly" questions are those not asked. No, the guards are not "rare". There are probably plenty of other parts of that C body coupe that are more desired/valuable.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hey...Welcome to the forum...mostly things are "RARE" if a seller perceives you value "rare." There are some folks who hang out here on the forum, that will take issue with you that drag racing "ruins" a car. Lots of us have ruined them and never drag raced.

The best way to determine if something is "factory," is to buy the factory manuals. There are chassis, body, and shop manuals. There are supplementary "accessory" booklets as well. Hang out here and someone will post the necessary links to finding where to get these. Be patient though, this week is our big annual worldwide gathering, and lots of our folks are busy buying, selling, and visiting among themselves in St. Louis. Again, welcome
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That accessory is popular enough that it is reproduced and available from Studebaker vendors.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0303.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1699898Thanks for the replies guys. I have been Drag and circle track racing for 40 years and the way they did this car it is ruined. I have never seen such a hack job in my life PLEASE don't take issue with me saying that, LOL. Also while I was removing the dash top of my 60 lark I found the coolest thing. A raffle ticket for Studebaker employees only for a 60 lark 4-door wagon V-8. It was sandwiched between the top and bottom of the two dash pieces and held in with a screw. It must have not been a winner,LOL

Comment

I would consider that raffle ticket to be both interesting and rare. Thanks for posting it.

EDIT: I wonder how the car got that raffle ticket. At first, I thought that the ticket was put into the car at time of build, but that wouldn't have been possible because the car is a 1954.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I found the ticket in my 60 Lark 4-door. it had to be put in when the dash was put together because it was in between the top and bottom of the dash pieces and held I with a screw that holds the two pieces together. I thought it was very cool. when I worked for gm in the mid 80's we used to find beer cans and cigarette packs in open body cavities.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo-Baker View Post
                when I worked for gm in the mid 80's we used to find beer cans and cigarette packs in open body cavities.
                Which pretty much confirms...during my communications threatening GM with litigation over my '80's cars...that they were merely garbage cans on wheels.

Have not had or wanted any of their garbage since.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Mo-Baker View Post
                  when I worked for gm in the mid 80's we used to find beer cans and cigarette packs in open body cavities.
                  I can confirm that.

In 1988, a customer of mine bought a Chev truck for work brand new, and from day-one, the defroster lever would never slide over to its limit for maximum defrosting, and had it to the dealer numerous times afterwards (under warranty) for 'adjustment'. One cold day, he was so angry at it, he kept slamming the lever over a few times until something 'gave'. After a few forceful 'hits', an empty cigarette package that was rolled up fell out from the heater slot under the dash. Obviously, that empty package was the culprit that was wedged in the damper that directed heat to the windshield impeding its operation. It was definitely a 'factory install' as the brand of cigarettes was never sold in Canada, and it had the Surgeon General's warning on it.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                  X