Grandpas 1940 President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandpas 1940 President

My grandfather was a WW2 Navy vet. Came home, got a job with the post office, and had 10 kids. After all the kids moved out and started making their own families, my grandfather decided to build a car. In the mid 70s he found this 1940 Studebaker President on one of his mail routes. He worked on it and finished it in the early to mid 80s. He passed away in May of 2015 at the age of 90 and the car was handed down to me. One thing he always wanted was for this car to stay original and for everyone to love and appreciate it. I have it sitting in my garage right now, I sit and stare at it almost every night. I'll take it for a drive around the neighborhood and occasionally out on the street for a couple miles. It has an over heating issue that I am trying to fix, but other then that, the Pres drives like a champ!! I can't wait to drive it to a car show and show it off. Here she is, hope y'all enjoy!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20150715_152907.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1748215 Click image for larger version

Name:	20141219_125046.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1748216Click image for larger version

Name:	20141219_125040.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1748217Click image for larger version

Name:	20150514_191133.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	1748218Click image for larger version

Name:	20150514_191117.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	1748219

"Spilling a beer is the adult equivalent of a kid letting go of a Balloon."

You have a great looking Studebaker.
    We are hoping to see you and your Studebaker in Branson for the Ozark Trails Orphan Car Show Sept 11-12.
    See you there.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

Beautiful car. Drive it with pride.

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by Okiejoe86 View Post
        My grandfather was a WW2 Navy vet. Came home, got a job with the post office, and had 10 kids. After all the kids moved out and started making their own families, my grandfather decided to build a car. In the mid 70s he found this 1940 Studebaker President on one of his mail routes. He worked on it and finished it in the early to mid 80s. He passed away in May of 2015 at the age of 90 and the car was handed down to me. One thing he always wanted was for this car to stay original and for everyone to love and appreciate it. I have it sitting in my garage right now, I sit and stare at it almost every night. I'll take it for a drive around the neighborhood and occasionally out on the street for a couple miles. It has an over heating issue that I am trying to fix, but other then that, the Pres drives like a champ!! I can't wait to drive it to a car show and show it off. Here she is, hope y'all enjoy!!
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]46010[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]46011[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46012[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46013[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46014[/ATTACH]

Wow, what a great legacy. Your President is gorgeous!!! I'm sure you'll be able to work out any issues with the car. I hope you enjoy owning and driving such a special car.
        Roger
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Clearly, that car is a labor of love. Enjoy the memories of your grandfather while making memories of your own.
          Andy
          62 GT

Comment

My only prewar car was a 1940 President sedan (to go along with 100+ postwar cars).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Okiejoe86 View Post
              the Pres drives like a champ!!
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]46010[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]46011[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46012[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46013[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46014[/ATTACH]
              Oh, I hope not! While the Champ was a good truck, that babe oughta nicer than a Champ, especially as handsome as it is. Clearly, your grandfather had great taste. It must run in your family.

Comment

You sure have a car to be proud of. That is a beautiful car. As for the overheating issue, I highly recommend you knock out the freeze plugs and pressure wash the coolant passages. You will be amazed to see how much rust and debris accumulates in the bottom of those cooling jackets. I once knew a fellow who had a new Chevrolet pickup that kept overheating. After several trips to the dealership, they knocked out the freeze plugs and found the cooling passages full of casting sand!

Comment

Originally posted by truckguy View Post
                  You sure have a car to be proud of. That is a beautiful car. As for the overheating issue, I highly recommend you knock out the freeze plugs and pressure wash the coolant passages. You will be amazed to see how much rust and debris accumulates in the bottom of those cooling jackets. I once knew a fellow who had a new Chevrolet pickup that kept overheating. After several trips to the dealership, they knocked out the freeze plugs and found the cooling passages full of casting sand!
                  I actually just completed that project last week! It had about 4 inches of gunk at the bottom. I have only driven it about 4 miles and the temps have stayed cooler compared to previous drives. I am now working on the brakes to free them up some.

Comment

That car looks familiar. Would you care to give us your Grandfather's name? Or did he ever live in Georgia?
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                      That car looks familiar. Would you care to give us your Grandfather's name? Or did he ever live in Georgia?
                      He has never lived in Georgia. He lived most of his life in Washington State.

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                        That car looks similar to many. My own 1940 President sedan was also black (a common color for them). The last that I knew, "mine" was in Maine.

EDIT: In looking again, the subject car appears to be brown, not black.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I'm so happy the forum got fixed so that we could enlarge and enjoy these pictures. I once owned a four cylinder Pinto station wagon that was this color. One of the worst "Clown car" pieces of crap ever! I thought it had turned me against anything wearing this color.

After seeing this President...no more! If I owned this one...a familiar quote stating something like..."From my cold dead hands!"...would be the response to anyone wanting to wrest it away from me.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That's a really nice President, OkieJoe. Take good care and enjoy it. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I appreciate all of the positive feedback!!

Comment

Working...
                              X