No announcement yet.

My last project car - and it's a Stude!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My last project car - and it's a Stude!

Greetings all. Like most gearheads I've spent far too much time and money on project cars in the past - but managed to kick the habit for several decades. Friend Fred Buchholz (an SDC member) talked me into looking at a forlorn '55 Champion coupe that just needed love. He's such a smooth talker. Here are a pair of pictures of the jewel. The car is a '55 with a '53 nose, the engine is a '63 289 (and I assume same year automatic) with a '56 dash. The real seller though was the genuine JC Whitney seat covers! I assume it ran at some point with the newer combo but the wiring is scary. Although it sat for years, I was able to turn the engine over pretty easily by hand after loading the cylinders with Mystery Oil.

I'm building a shop nearby and won't do more with the car until I have time, but it hasn't stopped me from thinking about the car's resurrection. I will probably do a modified but I will stick with the 289. Once the body's off the frame I'll be better able to decide.

I look forward to researching the wealth of info this site provides. Oh, and I joined the SDC!
    Attached Files

Welcome to the forum and to SDC Wayne!

Keep us abreast of progress on the project........and remember, we love lots of pictures!
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Cool Project!

Your last though?

Looks like it will be a fun one.

Comment

I assume you have the chrome grill. I have access to a '55 parts car if you are so inclined.
        Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
        jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

This will a log term project as I have several other priorities that will keep me from getting it done too fast - and I'm not getting younger! My 50's and 60's buggies weren't all that old and rusty when I owned them! Thanks for the source offer Tim.

Comment

The only selling job I had to do was to get him to go look at it. The design and the fact that the body is relatively solid really sold it. I'm looking forward to being the helper on a Stude project rather than the soloist!
            Fred

Comment

Working on my last car project myself. My car is same as yours, except with 3 speed and O.D. I think you chose a good one. Good luck.

Comment

One more post on my future project. Donor car!
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wh22366 View Post
                  One more post on my future project. Donor car!
                  Cool, keep us well informed with pictures and frequent progress posts. And, ignore the "you are ruining the car by modifying it" folks that will inevitably comment. There are many on this forum who like and appreciate modified cars, but unfortunately our voices sometimes get drowned out by the vicious attacks of the small band of "purists" who think it is their calling to constantly criticize modified cars.
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                    Cool, keep us well informed with pictures and frequent progress posts. And, ignore the "you are ruining the car by modifying it" folks that will inevitably comment. There are many on this forum who like and appreciate modified cars, but unfortunately our voices sometimes get drowned out by the vicious attacks of the small band of "purists" who think it is their calling to constantly criticize modified cars.
                    "Vicious attacks"? I have seen criticism, but everybody is entitled to an opinion. Few are mean about how they comment.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Comment

One of Studebaker's best loved designs. As far as the purist vs modified people, I am just happy to see a Studebaker get back on the road and be seen with smiles by everyone when it is done right and reflects the pride of the owner.

Bob Miles
                        Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                          X2! If you haven't seen it there's an excellent thread on Hawk modifications here;
                          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-Modifications
                          Gary

Comment

I had read the Hawk modification thread awhile back. It's a good one!

I don't get caught up in the stock vs. modified conversations as I've danced to my own tune for a long time now. Love cars and the shape of the C/Ks. My coupe sat in a field for 8-10 years and I look forward to putting it back on the road.

If you look just beyond the C4 in the picture in my last post you'll see a piece of a building I'm doing where my Studebaker project work will commence. I still need to do windows, siding, power, install a lift and move my shop gear in. My guess is a spring start on my car. Thanks to all for the support.

Comment

Good luck on the project! Hope it all goes good, it looks like a fun project!

Comment

Working...
                              X