Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time Studebaker Owner

Hi Guys,
    Me and a friend have just bought our first Studebaker project, a 1942 President, she looks in pretty good condition and we are hoping to turn her into a WWII US Army staff car, we have had her running and moving but still need to fix the water pump so we can get her up to running temperature. Anyway I just want to say "Hi" and post some photos, there was a lot of lose parts crammed in the car when we bought it, so I am sure I will be coming back on here to ask lots of questions as our rebuild progresses.
    Regards
    Mick Wilson
    UK

Last edited by mick.wilsom; 10-15-2014, 10:51 AM.

Welcome aboard!! Also, you got some neat trucks in that shop!

Comment

WELCOME, MICK !
      That's a great find, and dressing it as a staff car makes a lot of sense. I can see you are well in to the military vehicles already.
      If you haven't joined the Studebaker Drivers Club it would lend you great benefits. The Antique Studebaker Club as well, specializes in pre-war vehicles.

You also have a very active Studebaker Owners Club-UK
      Studebaker Owners Club UK - United Kingdom

One meeting yearly at the Pre 50 Club 'Rally of the Giants' - Blenheim Palace, Woodstock, Oxfordshire OX20 1PP
      Newsletter: Stude Examiner
      Chapter Web Site: www.studebakerownersclub.org.uk

President

Paul Eccles
      United Kingdom

Newsletter Editor

Greg Diffen
      86 Greville Road
      Warwick, CV34 5PJ
      United Kingdom
      44 (0) 1926 733 484
      yodiffman@yahoo.com

Secretary

Rex Burr
      United Kingdom
      rex.burr@tiscali.co.uk

Treasurer

Rex Burr
      United Kingdom
      rex.burr@tiscali.co.uk

Webmaster

Beryl Fooks
      United Kingdom

Membership

Rex Burr
      United Kingdom
      rex.burr@tiscali.co.uk
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Got some neat stuff there. Do you have a Weasel?
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Appears to have found an excellent home.

Comment

A 1942 Studebaker President is an extremely rare find...Good luck with it!

Comment

What engine does it have?

Comment

Thanks guys, that workshop is not mine but I do have a few WWII military trucks, M16 halftrack, Brockway 666 crane truck, DUKW, Chevy trailer unit and two GMC trucks but thought I would try rebuilding a civilian US car for a change, there is a US car shop near to me but they have said that getting parts may well be a problem as the 42 President was only in production for that one year? I was hoping that it would be the same or similar to the 41 Champion as there seamed to be a lot of parts for sale for that model but as you guys probably know its nothing like it. The engine is from what I have been told is a 5.5 litre but I could be wrong.
                Here is some footage of the first time we fired her up the other day
                video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

I never understood why some people rev their cold engines so much instead of waiting for the oil to get warm?
                  Worn pistonrings & valveguiders is my first thought at these times...
                  For the rest I'm happy for you guys & I really like the dark blue colour but you might paint it matt green?

Comment

The 250.4 cid President engine would convert to 4.1 litre. This engine was in Presidents and early Commanders from the early thirties. Virtually nothing from the Champion models would apply but much from earlier Presidents and some Commanders may. Richard Quinn my prove me wrong but I believe about all that was changed between '41 and '42 was the grill.
                    You would be well served by purchasing copies of the original factory body and chassis catalogs for precise part numbers and applications.
                    SI lists the body catalog as part # 800433 and the chassis catalog as # 800248. The shop manual is also available as # 800415.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by Nox View Post
                      I never understood why some people rev their cold engines so much instead of waiting for the oil to get warm?
                      Worn pistonrings & valveguiders is my first thought at these times...
                      For the rest I'm happy for you guys & I really like the dark blue colour but you might paint it matt green?
                      Always ran first start like it, with new oil and filter after getting oil pressure on the starter motor and never had a problem.
                      And yes it will be green.... like all my other kit.
                      Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      The 250.4 cid President engine would convert to 4.1 litre. This engine was in Presidents and early Commanders from the early thirties. Virtually nothing from the Champion models would apply but much from earlier Presidents and some Commanders may. Richard Quinn my prove me wrong but I believe about all that was changed between '41 and '42 was the grill.
                      You would be well served by purchasing copies of the original factory body and chassis catalogs for precise part numbers and applications.
                      SI lists the body catalog as part # 800433 and the chassis catalog as # 800248. The shop manual is also available as # 800415.
                      Thanks for the helpful advice Rockne10, I will start looking for them manuals.

Comment

Okay I'll ask this question a different way, What Stude engine was a straight 8, or why does it have the 8 spark plugs. Inquiring minds want to know. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Lamar View Post
                          What Stude engine was a straight 8,
                          ALL Presidents were straight eights, 1928 (313.1 cid), 1929-32 (336.7 cid), 1933-42 (250.4 cid), and '33 also offered the President 92 with 336.7 cid.
                          In 1929-30 the Commander 8 was 250.4 cid. the 1930-32 Dictator 8 was 221 cid. In 1931 the Commander 8 was 260.4 cid and returned to 250.4 in '32.
                          In 1933 the Commander 8 was 235.7 cid. In 1934 the Commander 8 was 221 cid. In 1935 it used the 250.4 cid. There were no straight eights other than Presidents after 1935.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                          X