1959 Lark 2DR Regal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 Lark 2DR Regal

Hi everybody, just thought I'd join up here and post a few pictures of my Lark and hopefully get some answers to a few question. Been lurking on the Forum since I got the car a few months ago but just recently made an account.

She's a 1959 2Dr Regal, 259 V8 3 Spd Auto. Originally a Salmon Pink Colour.

Hoping someone can help me ID the Tags on the Firewall/Engine and Door. Unsure of what the I means in the door and on the block..

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1744616Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior.jpg
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	1744617Click image for larger version

Name:	59VJ62529.jpg
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1744618Click image for larger version

Name:	VCI5500.jpg
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	1744619Click image for larger version

Name:	Numbers.jpg
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	1744620Click image for larger version

Name:	TagFirewall.jpg
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1744621

Welcome aboard, Misha; that is one of the nicer 1959 Lark styles; a Regal V8 2-door hardtop. The original color was called Tahiti Coral.

The Body Tag 59V-J6 / 2329 is decoded thus:

59: 1959 model year car
    V: V8 engine
    J: Body Style 2-door hardtop (no "B" pillar)
    6: Regal Trim Level
    2329: Sequential Number of all 1959 bodies built in Hamilton assembly, not just "J" bodies as it would be if the car had been built in South Bend.

VC15500 is the engine's Serial Number. No other engine has that number. Decoded thus:

V: V8 engine, 259 cubic inch displacement
    C: Canadian production
    15500: Sequential Serial Number of all 1959 V8 engines for Hamilton production. The first one was VC14701.

535601: A generic casting number for V8 engine blocks of the era. Nothing important or particularly distinctive about that.

59VC1704 is the car's legal identifier; the Serial Number. Decoded thus:

59: 1959 model year automobile
    V: V8 engine, not necessarily a 259 when in a Serial Number, but a 259 in 1959 because that is the only V8 they made in 1959.
    C: Canadian Production
    1704: The sequential Serial Number of all 1959 model year V8 automobiles assembled in Hamilton. The first one was 59VC1001, so your car was the 704th 1959 V8 automobile assembled in Hamilton, all body styles, not just two-door hardtops.

The upper-case letter (or Roman Numeral) "I" means the numeral "1" when used in Studebaker identifiers.

Again, welcome aboard. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 09-01-2014, 06:29 AM. Reason: spelling error
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob,
      That was beautifully done. I even had tears in my eyes (not). Actually, you helped Langley Lark better than I ever could have. I also have a '59 Lark Regal VI Hardtop in Tahiti Coral.
      Rog
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Misha!

Just a FYI about this: "1959 Lark 2DR Regal". Normally, that would be taken to mean a 2 Door Sedan, however we know it is not since there were no Regal 2 Door Sedans. Studebaker built no top of line trim 2 door Sedans since 1957 Presidents.

Transversely, all '59-'61 Lark 2 Door Hardtops were Regal's, so that is a given. What is missing in this statement that would better describe your Car is "Hardtop".
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Misha!

Just a FYI about this: "1959 Lark 2DR Regal". Normally, that would be taken to mean a 2 Door Sedan, however we know it is not since there were no Regal 2 Door Sedans. Studebaker built no top of line trim 2 door Sedans since 1957 Presidents.

Transversely, all '59-'61 Lark 2 Door Hardtops were Regal's, so that is a given. What is missing in this statement that would better describe your Car is "Hardtop".
          Thank you, Rich. What you posted (re: hardtop) is what I was thinking when I read the post topic/title.
          I would have also given the information given by Bob P.
          Thanks guys for beating me to the draw and saving me a lot of slow "typing".

I also owned a 1959 Lark VIII Regal hardtop that came from the original lady owner with 27K miles. It is one of few cars that I would like to buy back. It is still owned by the guy that I sold it to who has no intention of parting with it.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Another one of those- posts asking for info/help, somebody puts a lot of time and effort crafting a quality response (no charge), then not so much as a thank you from the OP in almost two months. Lovely.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Welcome to the Forum- glad to have another Canadian amongst us! Your car is awesome- and very well equipped. Please don't let the negative posters ( like the one above me in this thread) discourage you. Our members, for the most part, are the best!
              Last edited by fargoguy; 10-28-2014, 11:58 AM.
              Evan Davis
              Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

I wan to see more pics of this car

Comment

Welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of help here.
                  ~Matt Connor
                  '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Hasn't responded in almost a year, doubt you'll hear back now.
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Haha! I need to pay closer attention!
                      ~Matt Connor
                      '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

I noticed but I was hoping he might get an email that someone commented on his thread.

Comment

Still great the amount of knowledge on this site and willingness to share it, thanks everyone for info you furnish!
                          Randy Wilkin
                          1946 M5 Streetrod
                          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Working...
                          X