'64 Gran Turismo worklog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '64 Gran Turismo worklog

I thought I'd start a thread on the progress of work on my GT as I move to get it roadworthy again after many years in storage. I recently installed the rebuilt calipers all new brake lines and hoses.

sigpic
    '89 Ford Festiva
    '90 Ford F250 4x4
    '14 Kia Rio
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

Looks like a good place to start. After I bought my '54 from a 30 year storage I made sure I could get the engine to run (it did), then a complete brake job was the first part of the plan.

Good luck on your project!

Dave Bonn
    '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

We'll look forward to your progress, pictures are always great. As Dave said, good choice to get it stopping first.
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Well its been a while since the last update. Finally got back to working on it. The rear spring bushing were completely worn out so I addressed that. Of coarse that meant the spring needed to be completely torn down and blasted etch primed and painted. As much as I'd really love to drive it, I can never seem to do the minimum required.

sigpic
        '89 Ford Festiva
        '90 Ford F250 4x4
        '14 Kia Rio

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
          Well its been a while since the last update. Finally got back to working on it. The rear spring bushing were completely worn out so I addressed that. Of coarse that meant the spring needed to be completely torn down and blasted etch primed and painted. As much as I'd really love to drive it, I can never seem to do the minimum required.
          It's always nice to see another 1964 Hawk get back on the road. Brakes are number one on my list. It just helps stopping. Resist taking anything else apart, it's Spring, so start driving it. Nice job BTW.

Allen
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Looks like what we've been doing on my '64 GT. I had the disc booster rebuilt along with everything else. Still have a slight leak at the copper washers w/DOT 5. I had a local shop do my leaf springs including bushings-sets up nicely w/HD coils and spacers for A/C. Good luck with your rebuild. I still need more body work done before the dash goes back in the car. I'll bet your GT will be on the road before mine!
            Rob in PA.

Comment

Well I re-installed those leaf springs today finally. Been a busy summer so not a lot done on the Hawk. Now is the time for rear shock absorbers. What are you GT owners using? I didn't see alot available with a quick check of my normal goto places for regular maintenance items.
              sigpic
              '89 Ford Festiva
              '90 Ford F250 4x4
              '14 Kia Rio

Comment

Try any of our vendors, any of them will have rear shocks. Phil Harris/Fairborn Studebaker, Myers Studebaker, Dave T-Bow...... and all the rest depending on your part of the country and who you like to deal with. I have stock replacements in my rear and Koni's in the front on my Hawk. If your replacing the front shocks, the biggest improvement in handling will be when you install the heavy duty front sway bar. Something you should not overlook.

Anyway it looks like time slipped away on you and driving your Hawk this year. It fell apart for me as well, been busy with the summer making repairs around the house, working and driving our Lark convertible, where I only insured my Hawk a few days ago. It never fails to amaze me how much I like driving my Hawk after getting behind the wheel.

Good luck

Allen
                Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 09-01-2014, 06:41 PM.
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Glad to see you are working on the Stude. Don't forget the Festivas.

Comment

Since we're talking 64 Hawks here, I'll tell that I've finally reached the point of installing the heads back on the freshened short block for 64V-1212. It'll be on an engine stand for awhile whilst I finish going thru the Powershift tranny. I would not have taken the trans apart if it weren't for the fact that the type A fluid had turned to plastic since 1971. I need to finish up on that before I can marry it to the motor and reinsert it twixt the Hawk's front fenders. Brakes redone, PS refreshed, she's ready to have her heart reinstalled.
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Where did 2 1/2 years go. Sadly I've been out of the loop. Moved to from Indiana to the great state of Ohio. Got all set up in a shop much better equipped for work on the Hawk. Work has resumed in the last few days. I found a big hole in my trunk!
                      sigpic
                      '89 Ford Festiva
                      '90 Ford F250 4x4
                      '14 Kia Rio

Comment

Go for it David!
                        1964 GT Hawk
                        PSMCDR 2014
                        PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I've got a trunk floor again.
                          sigpic
                          '89 Ford Festiva
                          '90 Ford F250 4x4
                          '14 Kia Rio

Comment

I a copy of my production order. Can anyone tell me what the original interior color was based on the code given?
                            sigpic
                            '89 Ford Festiva
                            '90 Ford F250 4x4
                            '14 Kia Rio

Comment

According to my '64 Paint & Upholstery book BV indicates blue vinyl.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                              MELBOURNE.

Comment

Working...
                              X