another new guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another new guy

Hello all, new to the forum and new to Studebakers. I guess the bullet nose Studebakers we're always "Studebaker" to me. My Dad was always talking about the one his parents had and how much he always looked for a reason to drive it. He usually had a Chevy with the "hot water 6" and the v-8 in that Studebaker always impressed him. I went to look at a 51 Land Cruiser on a whim and it must've talked to me because I had to have it. I'll have lots of questions and "Norman" (that's another story haha) hasn't been cooperating so far. I've only had him about a month and have a long way to go.

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find this a very friendly place with a wealth of knowledge. Your questions will be more than welcome - just feed the regulars with photos.

On a personal note: its great to see another bullet nose in the mix.
    Cheers
    DT Holder - Bakersfield CA, USA
    1950 Commander ("Resto-Mod" in progress)

Comment

Yes, welcome to the forum. Be sure to join the Studebaker Drivers Club as well as your local chapter. Another good resource.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Welcome to the Ozark Trails' Studebaker Drivers Club territory. Our Christmas party will be at the Golden Corral in Joplin on Saturday, December 10th at 1:00pm. We would love for you to join us and fill us in on your bullet nose.
        Charles (Charlie D.) Musgrove, club newsletter editor.

Comment

• 51 land cruiser
          51 land cruiser commented
          Editing a comment
          I fully intended to attend the Dec. meeting, I remembered reading your meetings were held the 2nd Sunday of each month and completely missed that it was on Saturday this month and didn't even catch it until this morning. They say as we get older 3 things start to go hearing, eyesight and I can't remember the 3rd thing...

Appreciate the welcome, there will be more photos to follow, he is definitely going to be a driver. Hoping to make it to the party, may be leaving Norman at home if he don't straighten up. Thanks again

Comment

Wow! Nice looking Land Cruiser! Hopefully I’ll get mine on the road next year, although I’m holding off painting until spring and finishing mechanical stuff now. Click image for larger version

Name:	92ABBAB5-7C3C-4811-990A-F0A5DF0C47BE.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1968698

Comment

Thanks, looks like you're going to have a beautiful show piece, Norman is definitely in the driver class but I sure do like the look, I've had some issues right off the bat with mechanical issues and am trying to get the time to do some diagnostic work. I did pull the doors and apply new weatherstripping the 1st week. 70+ year old weatherstripping would make a good punch. The weatherstrip came with the car and the po was overwhelmed by the idea of it.

Comment

A couple more photos, including the most expensive Chinese vise grips I ever bought, at least they came with a Studebaker attached haha hope the po has another pair...

Comment

• StudeRich
                StudeRich commented
                Editing a comment
                Goes to show-ya, there is More than One way to hold an Exhaust Pipe to the Manifold Flange!

Who needs: Studs, Brass Nuts, Washers and Gaskets! Lol!

Ha yeah and the funny part is the stud threads were fine just no nut... Seems a nut would've been the cheaper fix

Comment

The list of work done I got with my 51

Comment

As commented above I completely got the date wrong for an opportunity to meet with the local chapter.. So I will ask here and hope my inability to read a calendar won't be held against me. Can anyone recommend a machine shop in my area that is capable and willing to do a set of heads for my 232. Appreciate any response and curious if any other parts of the forum world is having issue finding a competent shop?

Comment

While waiting on parts I decided to repair my wheel, I used a 2 part epoxy and filled in where all the plastic had fallen off the wheel. I could paint it and make it all one color but kind of like being able to see the repairs. Reminds me how much time I put in to it when there was probably an easier way.

Comment

The valve lash specs in the 51 shop manual are WRONG. There was an issue with early camshafts and by the time the factory engineers fixed that, the shop manual was already printed. Use the valve lash specs from the 53/54 shop manual.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

• 51 land cruiser
                        51 land cruiser commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I appreciate that Roy, will save me from making more issues for myself once I get everything back together.
                    Working...
                    X