• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a really clean car.
    "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Craig- I purchased my fender covers from Studebaker International.
      Bob
      Bob
      Welland Ontario
      60 Lark Convertible
      64 Daytona
      sigpic
      "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Making slow progress on StudiJudi -
        1. Pulled radiator, repaired lower tank seam, new hoses/clamps
        2. Bought installed new end cap for Fram air cleaner, NOS from SI, needs silver paint
        3. replaced ceramic terminal block on radiator shroud,
        4. spritzed blue paint on some of the engine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220422_EngineBay1.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1941411 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220422_EngineBay2.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1941412

Comment

Working on brakes today, found front cylinders were frozen, ordered replacements along with shoes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220425_BrakeWork1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	1941841 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220425_BrakeWork3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	1941842 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220425_BrakeWork4.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1941888

Installed puller for rear drums, not having luck moving either left/right.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220425_BrakeWork2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.7 KB ID:	1941843
          Last edited by Craig; 04-27-2022, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig View Post
            Installed puller for rear drums, not having luck moving either left/right.
            What procedure are you using to remove those rear hubs? Everything looks good - might not be giving it enough - many times it seems like something is going to break when it finally breaks free.

Comment

Pull axle castle nut, reinstall castle nut castle first until flush with axle, install correct puller, tighten puller until real tight, install radial hammer blow (as pictured) and give it a couple whacks, let it sit over night.
              whack puller central couple times, heat with MAP gas until smoke comes out of drum.

MAP may be too slow to heat . have not tried rosebud oxacetylene.
              Last edited by Craig; 04-28-2022, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Minor progress
                Got Fram air filter end cap rattle can painted silver
                New Fram decal on filter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220422_EngineBay3jpg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.1 KB ID:	1942209

Front brakes in progress, awaiting parts from multi sources.
                Concerned about hill holder, maybe take off unit today.
                Backing plates cleaned and 2k painted.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220425_BrakeWork5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.3 KB ID:	1942210

Gas tank removal may be in near future.
                Found existing trunk floor cover for gas sending unit was a fiber/tar component and had to be scrapped off.
                Looks like I scratched up the paint a bit with my impatience.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220427_GasTank1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.1 KB ID:	1942211
                Last edited by Craig; 04-29-2022, 12:42 PM.

Comment

which fasteners 1-5 do I need to remove to get the turn signal section out to get to the shift linkage?
                  Thanks

edit - I find none of these fasteners hold the turn signal section place.
                  edit - I find 2 and 3 , 7/16" nuts need to be removed and the bolts fall back into the shift section to be retrieved.

What is the method of removal of turn sig section to allow shift linkage at upper column to be accessed?

My guess is I need the four wires at the lower column to be marked and disconnected and pulled up thru the column along with a pull wire to allow 4 wire reinstall.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220429_ShiftRepair1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.4 KB ID:	1942229

Looking to replace these shift pieces

Click image for larger version  Name:	ShiftLinkage2a.jpg Views:	25 Size:	60.0 KB ID:	1942234
                  Last edited by Craig; 05-02-2022, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig View Post
                    Pull axle castle nut, reinstall castle nut castle first until flush with axle, install correct puller, tighten puller until real tight, install radial hammer blow (as pictured) and give it a couple whacks, let it sit over night.
                    whack puller central couple times, heat with MAP gas until smoke comes out of drum.

MAP may be too slow to heat . have not tried rosebud oxacetylene.
                    That sounds like what is needed. Just keep tightening it up and smacking it on the end - it will come off

Comment

​​Rear brake drums finally came off, the right took excessive impact torque and MAP heat, the left just impact on the puller center till pop.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220430_LeftRearBrake1.jpg Views:	13 Size:	50.5 KB ID:	1942412 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220430_LeftRearBrake2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.2 KB ID:	1942462 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220430_LeftRearBrake3.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1942497 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220430_RightRearBrake1.jpg Views:	13 Size:	52.0 KB ID:	1942413 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220430_RightRearBrake2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.8 KB ID:	1942463 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220430_RightRearBrake3.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1942498
                      Last edited by Craig; 05-01-2022, 10:15 AM.

Comment

After pulling the turn indicator section 532878 off the column and pulled all the six wires thru, I was able to remove the rotating shift portion (support, lever 534092p) and examine the shift tube 534094.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ShiftLinkage3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	1942677
                        It appears worn as well.
                        What is the procedure to replace this long tube 534094?

Last edited by Craig; 05-02-2022, 04:45 PM.

Comment

'55 Shop manual, transmission section, page 15.

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-02 191452.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1942688
                          3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

If my desire is to replace the control tube and upper pieces , shift lever and support, can I leave the jacket and lower levers as is ?

Click image for larger version  Name:	ShiftLinkage4.jpg Views:	80 Size:	27.7 KB ID:	1942719

Will the lower levers, spring, retainer, spacer stay in place well enough to allow this?

Edit - I found the lower pieces stayed in place allowing the replacement of the the shift tube. Shift tube, in my case, had to be "blued" to allow tracing the high areas to be sanded down.
                            The new shift tube was about 0.003" larger in diameter at the bottom end and would not move freely.
                            Last edited by Craig; 05-15-2022, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Where is a picture of axle puller HM-931?

I want to replace the axle seals while down this far.

Thank you

Edit - found this great 2017 answer from Paul -

There are three (3) different seals on the rear axle; the following assumes you are talking about the inner axle seals.

For the axle puller, a simple slide hammer can be used.....you may need to whip up an adapter using some scrap pipe and a couple of nuts. another alternate, after the hub/drum is loose on the taper, is to put the hub nut back on the axle a couple of turns and use the hub/drum as a 'slide hammer'. Inner seal remover - a normal seal remover can be used, or even a 'hook shaped piece on the end of a slide hammer; I've even dirt-balled it with a really big screwdriver and a hammer. Not sure what the bearing cup replacer does, probably to install the new seals. You can use a really big socket, or a large diameter dowel, or even a PVC plumbing fitting that is slightly smaller in diameter than the OD of the seal to drive them in - just make sure you drive them in evenly. When you reinstall the axle, you will need to tap in the bearing race, but a small ballpeen hammer can be used for this, just tap around in a circle until it's in against the roller bearing. For all of these items, as you can see, you can improvise.

Don't forget that you will need a proper rear hub/drum puller to get the hub/drum off without damage. You don't want to use too much improvising on the hub/drum removal, or you risk damaging the drum.

You should clean/inspect/repack the axle bearings while they are out, unless that has been done recently. Also, consider checking/adjusting the axle end play as described in the Shop Manual while you are reassembling everything.
                              Last edited by r1lark; 07-25-2017, 06:06 AM. Reason: clarity
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC
                              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Name:	20220503_RightAxle1.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1942814 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220503_RightAxle2.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1942815
                              Last edited by Craig; 05-04-2022, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Rear axle seals installed, installing rear axles.
                                Was able to tap the outer races in using a small brass hammer and a lot of taps.
                                On the left side I am planning to use a sealant between brake back plate and axle and also between reinforcing plate and back plate. Maybe latest issue of Three bond or Hylomar.
                                There is a thick fiber gasket to use on the reinforcing plate/felt seal cup joint.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220508_LeftRear1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.8 KB ID:	1943265
                                Last edited by Craig; 05-08-2022, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X