No announcement yet.

1955 Studebaker Commander 4dr Ultra Vista Regal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any one have a photo shoot of an original Willard found in a 55 Regal?
    HDW-1-100

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring55cropb.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1933781

Here is a photo of a 50's period Willard found in a Model A.
    Willard HDD-1.

Click image for larger version  Name:	WillardHDD-1a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.6 KB ID:	1933779

Comment

It would look like the Model A, a Group 1, 6 Volt Willard very close to Square shape.

Within a Group Size, Battery Mfg's Model Codes like HDW 1-100 or Heavy Duty HD-1 refer to Warranty Length, Number of Plates, and different CA & CCA Ratings, NOT Size.

Interesting, the Chart for battery Cable lengths fails to recognize that the President shown is a SEDAN and the Commander is a Coupe or Hardtop, because Comm. & Pres. in the SAME Body Type are the same.

Of course "Packard" refers to Packard Cable Co. not Packard Automobiles.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 02-28-2022, 05:37 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Found a catalog photo, 1956, of a new 12 volt Willard with HDW-2SM-60 markings.
        It shows the offset cell ports seen often in period Studebaker literature.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Willard12VHDW2SM60.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.4 KB ID:	1933904
        Last edited by Craig; 03-01-2022, 02:55 PM.

Comment

That appears to be the same as A Group 24 12 Volt for a Studebaker.
          I would think if you bought that '55 you would not need a 12 Volt.

There are New Repros of Willard's today, these look like Old Photos from the Day.
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Not mine yet, but pretty close, only days away.
            ​​master cyl replace, recore underseat heater, new battery replace is underway.
            Very original, paint correct color respray 20 years ago, interior not touched, manual radio, heater, 3spd w/overdrive.
            Seat foam is crumbling out each time you sit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220311_55UnderRepair.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.4 KB ID:	1936050 Click image for larger version

Name:	1955UltraVistaAD1.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1936056
            Last edited by Craig; 03-16-2022, 05:38 PM.

Comment

After all that teasing, this is the picture I was waiting for. BEAUTIFUL!

Comment

The only difference between the ad and the real car is the color of the B pillar. Very nice car!
                Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

engine bay looks "patina original"

Which relay is this this on the firewall?

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_95169.jpg Views:	89 Size:	80.4 KB ID:	1936573

Name:	20220321_RearPanels1133809.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1938522
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	20220311_Trunk1.jpg Views:	80 Size:	60.1 KB ID:	1936574

Name:	parkinschswv1946as.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1938523
                  Last edited by Craig; 04-04-2022, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Location & shape of an OD relay. Especially if that’s a glass fuse at its lower corner toward the coil.

Comment

You will see that the Relay is (or Should be) connected to the Overdrive Kickdown Switch, so Overdrive Relay.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Purchased the Commander. Made a great attempt to drive it home 15 miles. Did not make it, called AAA, rollback in 15 minutes, carted home. Engine stopped running on the road like it ran out of gas, added gas, no fire, limited resources, rollback worked best.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220408_123741a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.3 KB ID:	1939479
                        New underseat heater core or hoses seemed to be leaking.
                        Ran battery low with restarts.
                        Was able to shift thru all 3 gears, did hit 60 mph on back roads, OD handle was pulled out.
                        Last edited by Craig; 04-11-2022, 03:26 AM.

Comment

First step at troubleshooting "no run" issue.
                          Remove new Die Hard battery, remove die hard stickers, install Willard sticker and caps bought from eBay from man in Belgium, charge battery, reinstall.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220410_Willard.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.8 KB ID:	1939562
                          Step two- Pull plug #4, attach it back to spark lead, hold plug against intake manifold, ask wife to turn engine over for a couple of seconds and let me check for spark.

Wife hits starter and the engine roars instantly to life at fast idle with number 4 cylinder hitting me in the face with compression puffs and shotgun like noise!
                          I yell "STOP STOP" and wife hits the brakes. I then yell "OFF OFF" and key is turned off. We have a hilarious laugh.
                          Reinstall plug, engine starts again and runs like it never had an issue. As the engine heats up, blip the throttle, engine settles into slower idle speed. Check for leaks, check charging, check oil pressure, gas tank level, check heat gage...........all seems perfect.

Still idling check lights , wipers (new 12" blades) , turn signals, brake lights , dash lights, cigarette lighter light, interior light, defroster motor, Heater motor...........Antifreeze steam rolls out from under front seat! Turn engine off.

Noted issues - no instrument lights, no low beam right side, no brake lights, no front right turn signal , new heater core seems leaking, main radiator core seems to be leaking.

Name:	20220411_RadiatorOut2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1939733

Next step
                          Last edited by Craig; 04-12-2022, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a few small things to get fixed. My advice is: next time have the wife hold the spark plug, and you turn the key. Sounds like it will be a great car.
                            Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

HAVING FUN, Thats what it's all about

Comment

Interior is very spacious.

Who sells Studebaker engine bay fender covers?

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220412_SeatsOut.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.8 KB ID:	1939863

Comment

Working...
                                X