New Hawk GT in Szczecin, Poland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hawk GT in Szczecin, Poland

Hello, my name is Rafal and I am "made in 1969". Thanks for receiving me in your community. Yesterday evening I received my first car with real US origin I mean Hawk GT. This nice black hawk is not a perfect one (in case of its today look and technical conditions) but is driving and working perfectly. Its No is 63V 2I637. Few years ago my collogue bought it on auction in USA and imported it to Poland. When it was waiting for its shipment to Poland somebody took screw driver and made a nice mesh inside - so few items are missing inside and outside but as for almost 60 years old car it looks really great. There are many places which are requiring a welding and steel replacement but generally frame and mechanic are perfect. It will be restored but not immediately. I am now working with other car so Studebaker must rest a bit to be taken into whole process of restoration. It is not my first project so I know what does it meat to make a solid restoration. In my life I restored only a few cars but a nice vessel from 1938 too. So I know a bit but concerning Studebakers let say I am a complete virgin :-) I hope I will learn a lot from all of you concerning tech matters and respect for this proud brand and all their products. I have already "consumed" two nice thick books about Studebaker's history. Let me present some photos from yesterday evening - made just on arrival home :-) Yes, yes we have a deep winter - when Hawk arrived we had -16 Celsius degrees. Tomorrow will be ca 0 and than I will start the engine to hear the music. By for now :-)
    Rafal
    Hawk GT 1963 project

Congratulations and welcome!
    I recommend you get the service manual and parts book to help you out
    https://www.studebakermuseum.org/sto...ervice-manuals

Comment

Welcome! Keep us informed of progress.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Welcome Rafal,

You are proof that we are an International group. Enjoy your journey and share it with us but most of all enjoy a car that will be a stand out, especially in Poland.

We have your back and don't be afraid to ask for help. I have owned off and on since 1968 and I am still learning things I did not know. My latest journey for repair is listed under tech column titled Bah Humbug. Phil Harris, a great resource for parts and technical help and parts is listed under Studebaker Vendors. There are many more as well.

Again welcome.

Bob Miles
        Hair is turning gray and turning loose but still feel 16 when I get behind the wheel.

Comment

Welcome Rafal,
          You are in the best forum on earth.
          Whatever your questions, you will be answered by the best, most knowledgeable honest Studebaker experts on earth.
          Keep us posted and we LOVE pics so keep them coming of your restoration.
          I also have a 1963 GT Hawk.
          cheers,
          Bill

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
            Congratulations and welcome!
            I recommend you get the service manual and parts book to help you out
            https://www.studebakermuseum.org/sto...ervice-manuals
            Hello Craig, thanks for welcome to you and to all of you who made comments at my first post here. ! I have already bought a full set of manuals and book on www.classicmanuals.net and it was the first www where I found shop manual (in EU we are calling it "service manual") Here is a link: http://www.classicmanuals.net/minise...hp?item=cd11dl

I have quite a nice collection of old cars from years 1963 (Hawk is the oldest one) till 1990 (MB 560 SEC and cargo van WV LT28) what I was building last 25 years. I have never sold any of my cars. Most of them have running engines but need to be deeply restored. I used to buy all manuals (only download versions in pdf) and various books first before I am even buying any car. Usually than I am after deep internet researches about car maker, their produced cars and models - I am hunting for the best top models and only important ones. Yes they are sometimes rusty and not working but in original state relevant it its age. Only what I care is how car looks inside in driver's and passenger's space. I prefer it more like to admire a nice painted car for much higher price need the same restoration like rusty ones. On the market in EU there are plenty of cars "looking perfect" but in most cases only paint is keeping whole car in one piece :-) Than I am buying particular and selected car and after arriving before I even starting to do anything I am reading first shop manuals and all books what I have already collected. All of it is creating a special link with a car and respect for producer and whole his huge team of people who created it long before any production had been started.

My Hawk arrived on Monday and maybe it is strange - I still have not sit inside and I have not looked under its bonnet. I have many photos from precious owner and I know how many things is to be restored and repaired. Car has already a historical car status and special report confirming this fact made by independent surveyor . It is required to avoid a huge tax to be paid in Poland related to capacity of car engine - this tax is obligatory for all cars with engines over 2 l as far as I remember and is growing accordingly to engine capacity. .That is why a new muscle cars from USA are so expensive in Poland. After restoration my Hawk will be inserted to national register of historical cars (in Poland car over 30 years and not produced any more last 15 years) and will pass a very deeply technical inspection giving me a right to drive it in EU and on the end to receive not standard white but nice yellow registering plates proudly announcing that it is a historical one.

Now is 6:25 am in Poland, in USA is midnight. Today I will place my Hawk to his final place being inside of old but dry brick building next to its new neighbour Daimler Double Six from 1986 - top model of Jaguar in 1986 , Than I will make a final inspection and I will start its engine. Engine was running at the place of previous owner who is permanently restoring old Mustangs in Poland. My Hawk was in his hands several years but he has no time to restore it between all his Mustangs. He made a special new gas tank to run engine without taking gas from original gas tank to avid to take into fuel system a garbage usually being inside all old gas tans in every old car.

During next days I will still deeply study its shop manuals and I will try to unlock its trunk. Last owner in USA who was driving it and selling to some traders I guess locked its trunk in such a way that there is a broken key inside a lock. Generally;y only a main lock is working and all other ones are stropped by corrosion I guess. It will take a couple of days to make them all working with WD40 and grease. In case of trunk additionally I must remove broken key piece and than restart a lock. It is possible that only this piece blocked inside a key hole is only one to made a new key to open again a trunk lock. I have two old keys but they are the same. I am deeply curious what is inside. Maybe spare wheel, maybe some docs or car books? We will see - so car has its secret to be discovered :-) In my next post I will present how my Hawk looks using a photos made by expert presenting all weak points and parts.

Bye for now
            Attached Files
            Rafal
            Hawk GT 1963 project

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
              Welcome Rafal,
              You are in the best forum on earth.
              Whatever your questions, you will be answered by the best, most knowledgeable honest Studebaker experts on earth.
              Keep us posted and we LOVE pics so keep them coming of your restoration.
              I also have a 1963 GT Hawk.
              cheers,
              Bill
              Hello Bill - yes I know it :-) That is why I so happy to join all of you. I promise I will keep all of you updated with my progress. Nice that you have 1963 too :-) I read somewhere that today less like 900 Hawks are driving on Earth. Is it true? I hope you know it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hB1tEM8_C8

Cheers

Rafal
              Hawk GT 1963 project
              Last edited by Zahus; 12-28-2021, 10:01 PM.
              Rafal
              Hawk GT 1963 project

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                Welcome Rafal,

You are proof that we are an International group. Enjoy your journey and share it with us but most of all enjoy a car that will be a stand out, especially in Poland.

We have your back and don't be afraid to ask for help. I have owned off and on since 1968 and I am still learning things I did not know. My latest journey for repair is listed under tech column titled Bah Humbug. Phil Harris, a great resource for parts and technical help and parts is listed under Studebaker Vendors. There are many more as well.

Again welcome.

Bob Miles
                Hair is turning gray and turning loose but still feel 16 when I get behind the wheel.
                Hello Bob, yes it is true that today internet is gathering a people from whole World. Between 2009 and 2015 I was a chief of restoration group which imported from UK to Poland a wreck of THPV Bembridge. We bought her really one week before going to breakers. In February 2009 I was towing her to my home town Szczecin in Poland where she was rebuild and restored to her almost initial look from 1938. Restoration took 6 years and we done it in Poland having a great help, support and assistance of almost 300 people from UK helping us to get bact almost whole equipment what she lost during years. Even her two motor pilot tender boats came back from UK to Poland. It was a huge projects to came back from wreck state finally to a floating beauty. She is today only one see going vessel which took part in two famous WWII operations Dunkirk 1940 and Normandy 1944. Here is how she looks today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRko0I3FrY8 (towing to the city centre for The Tall Ships Racing 2015) (more on YT with "bembridge szczecin") and here is movie showing her history, how she looked when we bought her in Gillingham (white vessel with blue hull) towing her during winter from UK to Poland, restoration and her today look) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5ETDt-4n0&t=487s

I guess I will spent now weeks to trace what was pub;lished and to all problems solved here on forum. I love to learn from more experienced guys like you :-)

Cheers

Rafal
                Hawk GT 1963 project
                Last edited by Zahus; 12-28-2021, 10:02 PM.
                Rafal
                Hawk GT 1963 project

Comment

Cool to see another Studebaker in Europe! I'm in Sweden, we have quite a few Studebakers here & loads-&-loads of other more comon US cars, but maby you knew already..?
                  I lived in Holland for many years & they are pretty big on spare parts, if you need & can drive a bit it might be worth it, in that case check out "Studebaker Packard Club NL".
                  & if you're curious about swedish Studebaker people there's "Svenska Studebaker Klubben SE".

Good luck!
                  /Nox

Comment

• Zahus
                    Zahus commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice to hear you Nox :-) I know many good car clubs in NL. Old-timers looks to a national hobby in Netherlands :-). Lucky you that you have "a few" Studebakers - it looks than my Hawk is only one in Poland what is mean I am alone. Yesterday I started an engine - what the sound ! Of course I recorded it :-). I have never seen such simple equipped engine bay in any car with so perfect access to everything. Definitively I will look and even contact Svenska Studebaker Klubben SE Cheers Rafal

Let me show how in reality looks my Hawk. Few places on its body needs a deep works and no electric element is working - no horns, no lighting and even any lock. From yesterday My Hawk is dry workshop and after New Year celebration I will deeply look everywhere. Yesterday I removed without any problem the end of broken key from trunk's lock. WD40 made a good job within last two days. Lock barrel is turning but I have no other key. I deeply grease whole lock and I will try to place back a broken piece to turn it and open. I do not want to destroy anything. I must take off a rear couch and than I will try to find a place where I can place a thin camera wire in order to see a lock from inside. Than I will think what to do. It is not the first such action what I made with success so I deeply believe that in this case will be success too :-) So here is my Hawk - part I
                  Rafal
                  Hawk GT 1963 project

Comment

And part II. As you see there are many elements missing but everything is possible to buy not only in USA. I traced eBay and really you can buy everything. Only one problem is that very often a shipping costs are much higher as price for a spare part. But I have many friend who are importing cars from USA to Poland so I will ask them to gather everything in USA and than place to the trunk of any imported car to Poland. I am not on hurry so slowly I will proceed ahead :-) Cheers and Happy New Year Rafal
                    Rafal
                    Hawk GT 1963 project

Comment

Welcome Rafal! I also am working on a GT, a 62. I was able to remove the rear seat and crawl through the trunk and release the lock. If you are small enough, it's a tight fit and I didn't have that much in the trunk. Happy New Year.
                      "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

• Zahus
                        Zahus commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hello Roland! Today for a moment I will remove a rear seat and I will try ! Thanks for your advice :-)

• Zahus
                        Zahus commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ok, its done - there are two big holes in steel construction of rear passenger wall. I came inside with light and I have already opened it. Unfortunately trunk is empty - even there is a lack of spare wheel and no carpets.

Hello Rafal. Thanks so much for sharing your story and latest addition to your collection. Is your Studebaker a rare find in your country? Look forward to your updates…Mike
                      Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                      Fort Worth, TX

Comment

• Zahus
                        Zahus commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hello Mike - yes indeed it is the first one in Poland :-)

Hi Rafal, I've sent you a PM.
                      "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

• Zahus
                        Zahus commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hello Roland, I've just answered - yes of course :-)

And part III. Now my Hawk inside. As you see there are many elements missing inside too. Unfortunately I realised that my trunk is empty - I have opened it already. Live is hard :-) but I love this car and one day my Great Black Hawk with red interior will land on the streets of my City Szczecin :-) Tomorrow I will show you my engine bay and movie how the engine is working :-) Cheers Rafal
                      Rafal
                      Hawk GT 1963 project

Comment

Working...
                      X