Spotted a nice 50 Commander today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotted a nice 50 Commander today

Driving home today and spotted this 1950 beige Commander at a service station in Farmington Hills, Mi. Talked to Mike, the new owner, who stated he couldn't get the brake drums off and was paying for inspection and adjustment, left rear was hanging up. I offered to pull the drums and inspect his brakes, but he declined. Too Bad. Really sharp car with a big 6, he said everything worked and he had just won a trophy at a local car show.

I am finding that a lot of shops now days do not have some of the common tools we used to have to work on these cars. I had to provide my own drum puller the last time I had my brakes done.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Nice looking car, especially the interior.

I hope the shop does not destroy the rear drums.

The new car owner probably did not recognize the wisdom and experience of a seasoned Studebaker owner offering him help.

As an example:

I was installing a radio in a friend's 48 Champion convertible in his driveway. He had some "professional" mechanics doing the brakes. They were using a drum puller instead of a hub puller. The conversation went something like this.
      -me: those guys are using the wrong tool and will wreck the drums
      -my friend: Oh, no, no, that won't happen
      -me: After these guys destroy the drums, and you find replacement drums/hubs, if you want the job done right, call me.
      -my friend: Oh, no, no, that won't happen. Everything will be fine

About a month later, my friend called me. He had replacement drums in hand. I went to his house and did the brake job correctly. I cannot imagine how the "professionals" would have dealt with the self adjuster system. He drove that car all over California and northern Nevada for several years before selling it.

Many folks seem to think that all professional mechanics are always better than any amateur/home mechanics.

Sadly, it's just not so.
      Last edited by RadioRoy; 07-14-2021, 05:34 PM.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I gave him my phone number. He said the shop's "drum " puller didn't fit the bolt pattern and they were waiting for the tool truck to arrive. Hopefully he call and arrange time to come over, look at my car, compare stories and get his brakes working properly. He said his brake hung up after he used the parking brake, it should be an easy fix and free!!

Comment

Follow the shop manual on parking brake adjustment and maybe the left rear drum may not need to be pulled.

Bob Miles
          Adjusted my 56 with the manual.

Comment

Great effort on your part Jerry to assist a new Studebaker owner…Mike
            Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
            Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

That is a super sharp 50. The interior is spot on.
              1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

Young(under 50) mechanics generate lots of sales for rear drums and sometimes I get sold out on certain ones. They just do not have a clue about tapered axles.
                Last edited by TX Rebel; 07-25-2021, 04:55 AM.
                Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Working...
                X