Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0029.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1901477
    Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2596.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1901475 This arrived yesterday, from Litchfield CT. I has been there since its originaly purchase new in August of 1963. It was purchased from the original owners son. It is puportedly 1 of the 2 GT Hawks that were part of the Studebaker display at the NY International Auto Show in 1963. The build sheet states that fact on the last line.

It wears most of its original paint applied in South Bend in 1963. The roof and pinstripe on top along the SS trim were treated to special black accents. It runs real strong! It now has an Avanti 160 mph speedo and a Hurst shifter. The 14 wheels have to go. Looking for the original Daytons it would have had on it at the NY Auto Show. I am looking forward to the new journey with this special Hawk.

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2594.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	1901473

Name:	IMG_2561.PNG
Views:	535
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	1901476

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2597.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1901474

A real 1 of a kind , Enjoy it ! Ed

Comment

It is remarkable to still be able to find gems like that on the market. Super score, my friend. Have fun with it.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

That is awesome. Can you share more pictures such as interior, etc. Looks like a beauty.

Comment

Some REAL Serious HISTORY There! Good to know that this Very Special Car has survived in very good condition.

The Production Order for that Hawk should be WAY more interesting than the Window Sticker you posted, It should show all the 'Special" Items on it like: the Black 1/2 Roof, Wheels, Special Interior, Fuel Tank Drain Plug, Etc. Plus the; "Prepare for New York Auto Show" notation.

I don't know WHAT the tiny brown Doc you posted is, that one does not enlarge enough to read like others do.
          It's a: .PNG File, Try saving it as a .jpg
          Last edited by StudeRich; 07-02-2021, 03:26 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Name:	IMG_2505.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	1901627 There is no mention of the special paint, that I can see on the build sheet. Here is a better picture.
            Last edited by Sagandaga; 07-03-2021, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Here is a short video I found of the car recorded in 2019. It is showcasing the car and the original owners son sharing it's history.

https://wheels.rep-am.com/2019/06/sp...n-a-past-life/

Comment

Interesting paint details: the black 1" strip alongside the door stainless strip. Also, the space between rear quarter windows and roof is black, instead of red. And, of course, the 64 style forward roof paint, albeit paint versus vinyl, and without the 64 stainless divider strip. The PO addressed most of that in the video.

Comment

Wow, what a score!!!!!! That is a fantastic addition to ones collection. Nice job and have fun.
                  1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 63V-33867
                  1964 Studebaker Avanti R1 R-5364
                  1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
                  1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

Great find, thanks for sharing…Mike
                    Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                    Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

congrats and thank you so much for sharing. I have a 64 R1 Super Hawk full performace package. NO supercharger though. Good for you and a wonderful find. thanks for sharing.
                      Mark

Comment

This car was also shown in Automobile Quarterly, Fall, 1974 issue.

I'm glad that 63V25594 has now surfaced. The AQ photo caption states 'Chicago Auto Show', although the Production Order clearly states New York Auto Show, and not to be confused with 63V8227 currently owned by Steve Doerschlag.

"My Car Story" 1963 Motor Trend cover car @ 2017 MCACN - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

Lou Costabile's My Car Story: Steve Doerschlag's '63 Hawk - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

Craig

Comment

WOW, what a great historically significant find!
                          (Figured something was up when the prior video was posted earlier this week)
                          Looks like the original auto show paint would need nothing more than a gentle polish/wax.

Andy
                          62 GT

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            This car was also shown in Automobile Quarterly, Fall, 1974 issue.

I'm glad that 63V25594 has now surfaced. The AQ photo caption states 'Chicago Auto Show', although the Production Order clearly states New York Auto Show, and not to be confused with 63V8227 currently owned by Steve Doerschlag.

"My Car Story" 1963 Motor Trend cover car @ 2017 MCACN - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

Lou Costabile's My Car Story: Steve Doerschlag's '63 Hawk - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

Craig
                            Excellent observations, Craig. I'be been following this and wondered when the parallel would be drawn to Steve Doerschlag's nearly-identical 1963 Chicago Auto Show display Hawk.

Robert: Congrats on the find. 'So happy to hear the car survives; what a great provenance. You'll want to get a copy of the April 2014 Turning Wheels, with the complete story of Steve's Hawk, including the front cover photo. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                              I'be been following this and wondered when the parallel would be drawn to Steve Doerschlag's nearly-identical 1963 Chicago Auto Show display Hawk.
                              Thanks, Bob. I didn't believe AQ's 'Chicago Show Car' caption was correct for Robert's car as the 1963 Chicago Auto Show was held too early for a Package Car to be shown there. As per this thread, the 1st SuperHawks and SuperLarks had March 12 as a final ship date: The 1st Super Hawks & Super Larks - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

As stated, the color combinations between 63V8227 & 63V25594 are near-identical, inside and outside. And the other visual difference that stands out between the two cars is the deck-mount rear antenna, which 63V8227 does not have now, or in the period Chicago Auto Show photos.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X