Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashback
    replied
    You have done a lot of good work, to bring back another Hot Rod (my kinda car), Congratulations !

Leave a comment:

• Son O Lark
    replied
    Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    'Looking good, Barry; congratulations.

I, too, like the Speedster dash...was that one removed from your Dad's rusty '55 Speedster he ran at Newport Hill until it was too dangerous to do so? IIRC, he parted the car out...and the serial number plate and body tag have undoubtedly been reincarnated by now on a lesser '55 that magically become an authentic Speedster!

Yes, close-ups of your grille fabrication / arrangement would be appreciated; it looks like a good idea.

If you can get a close-up of the Possum Smasher graphic on the deck lid, I think everyone would enjoy seeing it.

Do I recognize the tailgate on which the Speedster dash is resting before installation?

'Hope you are doing well. BP
    The dash was from Searcy, Arkansas. Delivered to the Studebaker Drags in July, 2020. It was very used. Paint and vinyl overlay was used to freshen it up. The overlay does not have that cheap prism look. Pretty convincing machine turned look to it.

I have been teasing some here on the forum with this picture. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200331_194629.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	1899805
    Yes, you did recognize the tailgate of pickup. Thanks again for the hook-up.

I will dig up some photos of the grille fabrication. Looking back, I wish that more pics were taken during the build. It turned out better than I hoped for.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    'Looking good, Barry; congratulations.

I, too, like the Speedster dash...was that one removed from your Dad's rusty '55 Speedster he ran at Newport Hill until it was too dangerous to do so? IIRC, he parted the car out...and the serial number plate and body tag have undoubtedly been reincarnated by now on a lesser '55 that magically become an authentic Speedster!

Yes, close-ups of your grille fabrication / arrangement would be appreciated; it looks like a good idea.

If you can get a close-up of the Possum Smasher graphic on the deck lid, I think everyone would enjoy seeing it.

Do I recognize the tailgate on which the Speedster dash is resting before installation?

'Hope you are doing well. BP

Leave a comment:

• Son O Lark
    replied
    Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
    That dash looks great Barry. You are doing a fine job on the car.
    Thanks for you and your brother's help in getting it to Indiana. It sure looks a lot different. I was able to use the original speedometer and oil pressure gauge. It took a lot of time to finish but was well worth it.

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    That dash looks great Barry. You are doing a fine job on the car.

Leave a comment:

• Son O Lark
    replied
    Luckily the Possum Smasher was already a pieced together hot rod. There are no rules or "correct" parts for it. A linear actuator has been ordered for the trunk. It has no trunk latch and is held closed by gravity. No finger recesses along bottom seam to assist in opening. The solenoid will simply push it up four inches to allow a person to easily lift it.
    Last edited by Son O Lark; 06-22-2021, 07:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tsenecal
    replied
    I think that the mixture of parts turned out great. It's a one of one now, and must be a hoot to drive.

Leave a comment:

• Son O Lark
    replied
    I added a voltmeter and moved the gas gauge over to the cigarette lighter hole. Since I had no clock or radio, I made a cover plate for it. There is also a piece of stainless covering a crack that I could not stabilize and kept reappearing. Those Speedster dashboards are plastic, not fiberglass. I tried to get the warping out with little success. Very temperature sensitive.
    Last edited by Son O Lark; 06-18-2021, 05:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Son O Lark
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    I like that "Studebaker" Script added to the Speedster Dash. But I can't I.D. that as anything Stude. ever used.
    I think you or Dale Made that by adding a different "S" to it?

It is certainly Not the Front Fender Nameplate on '56 & '57 Hawks and '59 Larks.
    All but the "S" resembles the '53/'54 R/H Grille Bar Nameplate.
    Dash script is from 1948 Champion grille, fender scripts are from '53/'54 grille bars. No modifications made to scripts. I simply liked the looks and size of scripts. The S on the dash script is over a slight dent made when the hole was drilled and maybe altered it's look in the pic. Engine turning is actually a vinyl overlay. Click image for larger version  Name:	20210618_201302.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.2 KB ID:	1899677 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210618_201327.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.1 KB ID:	1899678 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210618_201243.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.3 KB ID:	1899679
    Last edited by Son O Lark; 06-18-2021, 04:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I like that "Studebaker" Script added to the Speedster Dash. But I can't I.D. that as anything Stude. ever used.
    I think you or Dale Made that by adding a different "S" to it?

It is certainly Not the Front Fender Nameplate on '56 & '57 Hawks and '59 Larks.
    All but the "S" resembles the '53/'54 R/H Grille Bar Nameplate.

Leave a comment:

• Son O Lark
    replied
    Originally posted by rockne10 View Post

Just try to not smash any possums. They are good to have around.
    Only Himalayan possums have been smashed. 😁😉
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210618-145403_Gallery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.2 KB ID:	1899618
    Last edited by Son O Lark; 06-18-2021, 11:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied

Just try to not smash any possums. They are good to have around.

Leave a comment:

• Son O Lark
    replied
    Originally posted by Bo Markham View Post
    Can you post some more detailed pictures of the grille arrangement you made up?

Bo
    Sure, give me a little bit of time to dig up the pics. It is an after market Ford truck grill that I got from Amazon. It was damaged, so the price was discounted. After looking at it, I realized that it could be cut up and use the already riveted on brackets. I cut it up using an angle grinder. If someone didn't know better, it looks like something Stude would have made. I searched and found some half oval turn signals from a Honda motorcycle. Brackets for those were very easy to fabricate.

Leave a comment:

• Buzzard
    replied
    Barry,
    Great to see you carrying on Dale's legacy.
    Keep the pics coming!
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Looks great Barry! Good to see this car in circulation again. I especially like the Speedster dash.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X