No announcement yet.

‘63 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good idea Mason, in one of Matt's Strings, I said just that; they look Great on the Right Car, but especially when properly placed, framing the Grille not cutting the headlights.

Another improvement you COULD make if you like, is getting the New NOS still available, 1962 to 1966 Narrower Guards like Matt's.

UPDATE: OH, Oh! looks like Matt may have taken them off, he probably saw my Post, my Family and his have known each other for quite a while, but he rarely sees things as I do!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Regal 2 door Sunroof3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	169.9 KB ID:	1909322 Click image for larger version  Name:	Regal 2 door Sunroof3a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.6 KB ID:	1909323
    He probably considered them "Gaudy" like those stupid Racing Mirrors!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-29-2021, 07:47 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

i like those mirrors, the period chrome in the same holes , look like a 60's presidential mercedes benz, and the girls can sit up in the hole in the roof and wave in a Stude parade

i did reread your comments about framing the grills and not cutting the light, after seeing some large guards, the slim ones are sleeeeeeek.

they came with the car the slim version bunperettes, and i took them off the very next day, sold 2 of them on ebay, before i realized i made a mistake, so 2 are on the fronts and nothing in the rears,

i might buy some back for that but they look like brush guards/ police pushing bars, if i look real hard, the front bumper is tweaked when i bought the cars, so it can never look it's best up front but presentable

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210824_153236.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.3 KB ID:	1909330

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210824_153149.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.3 KB ID:	1909331
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20210824_161307.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	1909332
      Last edited by mw2013; 08-29-2021, 09:17 PM.

Comment

RE the front bumper guards; I like the cleaner look without them, and I didn’t have the guts to mount guards on the freshly rechromed front bumper.

Name:	image_90648.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1911979
        Last edited by mbstude; 09-17-2021, 04:51 AM.

Comment

I like the cleaner look without as well.

Comment

Last edited by mbstude; 09-17-2021, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I agree on the look without the guards. I have new guards to go on my 53, BUT, like you, they are not there.

Comment

I’ve decided to put the Lark up for sale. I need the motivation to start working on my ‘58 President. I thought that having two nice Studebakers would be fun.. But I’m learning that I’m only productive with Studebakers if I only have one to focus on.
                Last edited by mbstude; 09-18-2021, 11:27 AM.

Comment

I took the Lark out and changed my mind about selling it. The damn thing drives too nice. The ‘58 will just have to keep waiting.

Finished up the installation of the NOS interior, too.

Name:	6C67FF9B-50AA-4E9A-95D2-04B292B9C771.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1912188

Click image for larger version  Name:	95E5A99E-66C6-4B9C-B7D4-574B3E8909D2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	175.0 KB ID:	1912187
                  Last edited by mbstude; 09-18-2021, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Good choice Matt! You will NEVER find another '63 Lark Regal 2 Door Sedan with an almost "Skytop" Sun Roof!

Your Battery must have been pretty Low on charge, because it is charging pretty High at 15-20 AMPS even at 72 MPH!

The Oil pressure runs very High just like my '63 Lark Six does, about 75 PSI.
                    I have been putting off servicing the Pressure Relief Valve due to it being almost impossible to get to on these OHV Sixes.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-18-2021, 05:09 PM.
                    StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Good choice Matt! You will NEVER find another '63 Lark Regal 2 Door Sedan with an almost "Skytop" Sun Roof!

Your Battery must have been pretty Low on charge, because it is charging pretty High at 15-20 AMPS even at 72 MPH!

The Oil pressure runs very High just like my '63 Lark Six does, about 75 PSI.
                      I have been putting off servicing the Pressure Relief Valve due to it being almost impossible to get to on these OHV Sixes.
                      I had the same realization, Rich. A low mile, rust free Lark that’s as nice as this one is.. I took it for granted because I’ve known about the car for so long. But another car like this one, and knowing exactly what went into it - not an easy thing to find.

I was still mad at the car for leaving me stranded right before we left for the meet in Indy. But a couple of weeks away from it helped.

The battery is new, but I did have the headlights, defroster, wipers, and air conditioning on when I took the photo. It does have a 40 amp Avanti alternator that seems to handle everything without issue, though.

I’d love to know why the OHV sixes have such high oil pressure. Servicing the pressure relief valve doesn’t change it, and I know of several other OHV’s that are the same way.
                      Last edited by mbstude; 09-19-2021, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Name:	E5916272-B068-40E3-B067-E5431816FCA3.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1912324 Matt, what was your reasoning for switching from electric fuel pump to a rebuilt mechanical? I ask because my ‘62 Lark has an electric fuel pump & I’m having awful vapor lock/cutoff at times. (That is when it’s roadworthy. I’m waiting, patiently, for a set of 9” rear drums. What started off as leaking rear wheel cylinders grew into a year long hibernation on jack stands…)

Comment

RE the mechanical vs electric fuel pump; Same reason why I prefer a set of points vs Pertronix. It’s a matter of what I’m comfortable with. Personal preference.

There isn’t much that can go wrong with an OEM mechanical pump. It’s just a diaphragm with a couple of check valves.

Electric pumps are generally better at preventing vapor lock, though. There may be something else going on with your ‘62.

Comment

Maybe it was just New Ignition Points or a Condensor from you know Where (or Do you), that killed it!
                            StudeRich

Comment

yeah keep it, hard to find a rust free nicer one, with your custom touches

as far as bumper guards, i felt the same way and it didn't even make it one night I had the car and ripped them off, sold 2 of the 4 .

suddenly i started to notice all cars of that era, Mercedes, jags, aston martins, sunbeams, triumphs, cortinas, virtually all had them, so now i like them, hence them being back on the front, albeit on a tweaked bumper, i have none for the rear, but the police interceptor, don't have them in the rear either
                              Last edited by mw2013; 09-19-2021, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                                /Cut/The battery is new, but I did have the headlights, defroster, wipers, and air conditioning on when I took the photo. It does have a 40 amp Avanti alternator that seems to handle everything without issue, though.
                                /Cut/
                                About that 40 AMP Avanti/Jet Thrust Alternator mentioned back on Post #40:

It should be remembered that Studebaker advertised the Super Lark and Super Hawk as having a 40 AMP Alt. which is true.

BUT, they didn't mention that unless you re-wire it & have the THREE Contact 4 Wire Avanti Regulator, you will NEVER get more than the 32 to 35 AMP's that the Standard Prestolite puts out!
                                StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                                X