Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they look racy

Comment

The car had some absolutely horrible bullet-shaped mirrors on it when my friend found the car 25 years ago. When he had it painted, he had the painter spray the mirrors to match. I (along with a lot of other guys) gave him a lot of crap for not leaving the mirrors off and having the holes filled in. Here’s one of photos I used in the ebay listing 6 years ago. I sincerely believe that the mirrors were responsible for the car not bringing a higher final bid.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0B96DEA3-1199-4F32-98FD-1B769E487880.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	93.6 KB ID:	1898872

When the car showed up here last week, I drove it into the shop, took off the mirrors, threw them in the dumpster, and installed the little chrome generic ones.

I made a fair amount of progress this weekend. The brakes hadn’t been touched in nearly 25 years, so I felt it best to freshen everything up. The brake booster died somewhere along the line, so I put on a rebuilt one. Also installed a new master cylinder, rubber lines, and wheel cylinders all around. While I was at it, I pulled the front backing plates off of a junk ‘62 Hawk, and installed those on the car along with NOS 11” drums. I went for a 10 mile test drive this evening and everything seems to be working just fine.

Now, once I figure out why the Overdrive isn’t working and get that taken care of, this thing will be ready to go just about anywhere.

I won’t be digging into the ‘58 President to get it on the road until later this year, so this car will make the drive to Indy in September.
      Last edited by mbstude; 06-13-2021, 07:19 PM.

Comment

you must have a well equipped shop to bang that stuff out without having to ask stupid questions like me lol, i just drove mine to the gym today. what size are your new tires?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_88372.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	1898892 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_88374.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	1898893

Comment

Firestone 215 / 75 R15

Comment

mirrors in the fenders are cool, they make the car look mean, or mean business

Comment

You have to admit Mason, that the Black Lark does "Stand out in a Crowd" of look alike 33% plastic boxes!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I’ve been plugging away at the car since it got here, and driving it regularly, at least when the rain subsides long enough.

Over the last few years, all of my cars have been projects.. I typically enjoy working on these things more than I do just driving them. When the project gets finished, I sell it and move on to the next one.

Never thought that a 6 banger Lark would be the one I like driving around the most… But that’s where I’ve ended up. Someone once told me that it’s more fun to drive an underpowered car all-out, than it is to drive a hot rod at half its potential. Seems true enough for me.

Along with the brake job, I’ve also replaced the front and rear springs and shocks, ditched the full-time electric fuel pump for a rebuilt mechanical pump, swapped the 3.73 rear end for a 4.10, adjusted the ill-fitting passenger side door, installed rechromed front and rear bumpers, replaced the clutch components (someone overgreased the pilot bushing and it contaminated the disc), and a few other odds and ends.

I have a few more things planned.. Some a bit more drastic than others.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2B82D745-A9FF-46AC-8914-A4B8B586EFBA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	120.9 KB ID:	1902144
                Last edited by mbstude; 07-07-2021, 03:14 AM.

Comment

I owned two Skytop hardtops ('61 & '63) for many years. I preferred riding in them with the top open more than my convertibles.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    I owned two Skytop hardtops ('61 & '63) for many years. I preferred riding in them with the top open more than my convertibles.
                    I’m not a fan of convertibles for a handful of reasons. But I’ve wanted a Lark Skytop since I was a kid.

I’ve somehow managed to always be at the wrong place at the wrong time on the rare occasions when a nice one has come up for sale.. And there aren’t a lot of nice ones out there to begin with.

So, I’m going to make one: https://www.sunroofsource.com

Comment

did the new springs lift the car at all , how bad were the old one? and what was wrong with the e-fuel pump? not correct?

Comment

“Never leave well enough alone.”

Name:	C7700C85-54B5-4C12-8A43-8D4352FE1BF8.jpeg
Views:	300
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1907542

Name:	CFCADACF-6ADF-47AD-9E4E-917B4DA1DD58.jpeg
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	1907540

Name:	348D7F86-2D17-46DF-B0A4-0986FE8C5371.jpeg
Views:	302
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	1907536

Name:	7629989D-B3F8-4541-A087-92746D101D75.jpeg
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	1907535

Name:	CE4C1144-B2C0-4FB5-992A-C66A4BC3F4D7.jpeg
Views:	305
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1907532

Name:	CDA9403C-7672-4E69-9A7F-89AE8E8E7B3C.jpeg
Views:	303
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	1907541

Name:	FAFC3944-2D75-43EF-B1DF-03F617D4DBEF.jpeg
Views:	295
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	1907537

Name:	8E28EBDE-51F1-400F-8908-3A535F8C5B18.jpeg
Views:	307
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	1907539

Name:	3CF045D5-86A9-4630-827D-D5105C0E8916.jpeg
Views:	304
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1907538

Name:	521917D5-4868-4FB3-8CD9-A7B64EB7D1CB.jpeg
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1907534

​​​​​​​
                        Attached Files

Comment

Matt, that’s a really neat car! I like your vision for it and the 6-cylinder is a badge of honor in my opinion. You also have courage cutting the roof out of it! Way to be. Question: where did you get the red interior paint and what brand and color is it?

Comment

Originally posted by OldJoe View Post
                            Matt, that’s a really neat car! I like your vision for it and the 6-cylinder is a badge of honor in my opinion. You also have courage cutting the roof out of it! Way to be. Question: where did you get the red interior paint and what brand and color is it?
                            Thank you. I figure even a 6 cylinder Lark can be interesting. I'm having fun with it.

Both the urethane paint for the metal trim and steering wheel, and the vinyl paint for the dash, were custom mixes that I "played around with" after the fact.

The urethane looked good in a sample but was pink when I sprayed it out. I had the paint store mix up a can of a deep "Crimson red" and I mixed it in with the pink until I got the color I wanted.

Same with the SEM vinyl paint. I took a piece of vinyl to two local paint stores and they both sent the vinyl off to be matched. One came back too light, the other too dark. I mixed them together.

Luckily I have enough leftover paint for both in case I ever have to do any touching up or repairs, but there's not an easy way to replicate it.

Comment

NICE DETAIL, makes all the difference!!

Comment

your bumperettes looks period correct, i had to throw my fronts back on

Comment

Working...
                                X