Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice looking ‘58! I drove a ‘57 President for several years, in the early 90’s, and it was very comfortable and had lots of power!

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      I don't want to assume that you know and/or remember to be very careful in what you use to clean that cloth (and how you clean it). I have seen more than one '57 - '58 interior damaged/ruined by a "car person" cleaning it.
      My plan was to pull the seats out and pressure wash them. Is that not a good idea?

Comment

Isn't that the way to do it, I do good luck

Comment

Started cleaning the car up a bit. Pulled the trunk mat out to clean it - this is what’s underneath.

That’s a piece of masking tape under the body bolt in the rear corner. It’s been stuck under that washer since the guy in South Bend put it there in 1957.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EDF13E79-B392-41ED-8569-54844766B493.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	79.0 KB ID:	1894773

Comment

nice score, they are a lot of work even in this condition, awesome ride, beast of a car

and the molestation begins
            Last edited by mw2013; 05-15-2021, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mw2013 View Post

and the molestation begins
              Not sure what that means. I’ll add AC because it’s too hot in Florida to go without it. Otherwise, some cars just need to be left alone. This is one of them.

Comment

Matt, would you consider installing seat belts, too?
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post

My plan was to pull the seats out and pressure wash them. Is that not a good idea?
                  Why pull the seats out?! Pressure washing is a great time saver for the rest of the interior too.
                  -Dwight

Comment

Sorry folks - why are we even talking about pressure washer where upholstery is concerned? When I first read Matt’s comment I thought he was being tongue-in-cheek.

Any period cloth or “coir” or foam will be instantly destroyed. If the bite of the washer fan doesn’t kill it, the long-term moisture and mildew will.

Confused here.

Comment

top of the line

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker_President

Comment

It was a joke. The fabrics of that era were way less durable than those today. Maybe that's why vinyls were so popular then. Today's fabrics wear like iron, but not then. Plus, it is 60+ years old now.
                        -Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
                          It was a joke. The fabrics of that era were way less durable than those today. Maybe that's why vinyls were so popular then. Today's fabrics wear like iron, but not then. Plus, it is 60+ years old now.
                          -Dwight
                          Warped humor, my friends. Warped humor.

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
                            Sorry folks - why are we even talking about pressure washer where upholstery is concerned? When I first read Matt’s comment I thought he was being tongue-in-cheek.

Any period cloth or “coir” or foam will be instantly destroyed. If the bite of the washer fan doesn’t kill it, the long-term moisture and mildew will.

Confused here.
                            Just a silly response to StudeGary after he assumed that I’m too dumb to know how to clean upholstery.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post

Just a silly response to StudeGary after he assumed that I’m too dumb to know how to clean upholstery.
                              That was not my assumption. I knew of car type people, even in the business, that used the incorrect chemicals and cleaners on the 1956-1958 upholstery cloth and greatly damaged it. It was as much a comment for all reading the Forum as to you directly. I think that you know that I would not refer to you as "dumb".
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                                I don't want to assume that you know and/or remember to be very careful in what you use to clean that cloth (and how you clean it).
                                Matthew,
                                I certainly didn't get the impression studegary was assuming anything of the sort.
                                I DID get the impression he was reminding us all the procedures for cleaning the old cloth upholstery was not the same then as it is now.
                                And I'm sure you would agree there are many new owners of these old cars, especially of your generation, who do not have the experience YOU do.
                                In fact, "how to clean upholstery" was one of the items included in the Owner's Manual when we bought these cars; and many recent owners have never seen or read an old Owner's Manual.

I know professional mechanics who don't know how to drive a three-on-the-tree.

We are all good here; are we not?
                                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                                '33 Rockne 10,
                                '51 Commander Starlight,
                                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Working...
                                X