This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘58 President

I just bought this from a good friend in Colorado, and then bribed another good friend who’s a sucker for road trips to go fetch it.

Who knew that 63 year old enamel paint could look so good? And, yes, the wide whitewalls are already on order.

I’ll be spending the summer going over the mechanicals and getting it into shape. I have every intention of driving it to Indianapolis this Fall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_87591.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1894088

Oh.. And this is why it’s worth it to buy a car from a dry climate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3040D7ED-5098-4565-9E24-2DADCDEE0693.jpeg
Views:	604
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1894089

Great work, Matt, but those windows could used a good cleaning!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      Great work, Matt, but those windows could used a good cleaning!!

Craig
      They appear to be fogged; like it was just brought from a cool dry storage, to a humid exterior.
      One might say Matt has found another keeper; but then, ... that would belie their knowledge of Matt.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

My buying this car has been in the works for the last year and a half. I typically tend to be more impulsive; with both buying and selling.

A lot of guys like Avantis, or Hawks, or ‘53 Starliners.. But this is the Stude that ticks all of the boxes for me.

As some of you will remember, the first car I bought with my own money was an unrestored ‘58 Commander when I was 18. I had more fun and put more miles on that car than any other Studebaker I’ve owned. I’m excited to have another one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B5E82427-FFB5-43A9-B926-8D0169EA96AC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	80.5 KB ID:	1894123

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
          As some of you will remember, the first car I bought with my own money was an unrestored ‘58 Commander when I was 18. I had more fun and put more miles on that car than any other Studebaker I’ve owned. I’m excited to have another one.
          Yes, Matt, you're moving UP in the world, from a Commander to a President! Good work!!

Next, you'll find yourself a fully loaded '58 Packard sedan for your retirement!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Next, you'll find yourself a fully loaded '58 Packard sedan for your retirement!

Craig[/B]
            I was offered a ‘58 Packard hardtop recently. But I’m trying to get away from major project cars. At least for now.

Comment

Matt, good eye. That is a very nice example. It looks like a comfortable ride. Enjoy!
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

There were four different 1957 President four door models, but only one for 1958 (Y6). I have owned both wheelbase models of 1957 four doors and drove both of them as everyday cars. The long (120.5") model was much better/nicer than the short wheelbase President. That long wheelbase 1958 should be a nice driving and riding car.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  There were four different 1957 President four door models, but only one for 1958 (Y6). I have owned both wheelbase models of 1957 four doors and drove both of them as everyday cars. The long (120.5") model was much better/nicer than the short wheelbase President. That long wheelbase 1958 should be a nice driving and riding car.
                  The Y Body Only, Rear Stabilizer Bar helps a bunch with the Handling !

Very Nice looking President, it appears to be Radio-less!
                  Quite unusual for a President, but you know what I always say:
                  "If you don't PAY for it, all you get is 5 Wheels with Blackwall Tires"!
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 05-11-2021, 03:28 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

It’s pretty bare bones for a President. No power brakes, power steering, radio, padded dash, etc.

But I don’t care about any of that. The car’s condition makes up for its lack of accessories.

There likely aren’t too many Studebakers around with two sets of original keys, both with the dealership fob still tied to them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A2204D96-60A8-45C6-BB4D-330AE31B741B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	114.0 KB ID:	1894227

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_87602.jpg Views:	4 Size:	122.1 KB ID:	1894225

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      My 51 Champion custom starlight came from the factory with five rims, but only four tires. Probably because of the Korean conflict?
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        Very Nice looking President, it appears to be Radio-less!
                        Quite unusual for a President, but you know what I always say:
                        True, Rich. I commented on the lack of a radio and no clock, either. Factory paint on the floors - ‘58 President - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

I always thought a clock was standard on Land Cruisers/Presidents/Lark Cruisers & Cruisers until I saw the photos of this President. It was bad enough the 1957 President gave up some of its 'luxury level' trim and standard equipment to make the Packards appear better equipped. It looks like the 1958 President lost even more what was previously standard on it!!

I have seen your fully loaded '58 President when I was last in Ferndale.
                        Power Antenna AC-2887 - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum Only 'extra' yours does not have over Matt's is two-tone paint.

Craig

Comment

Craig, I’d forgotten about that thread. The trade deal didn’t pan out, but luckily I was able to buy the ‘58 outright.

Comment

The interior is dirty, but that’s really the only bad thing about it. I’ve certainly owned worse.

The inspection sticker on the windshield expired in 1981. The mileage reading at the time of inspection is 300 miles lower than the current odometer reading. It hasn’t seen a lot of road time over the last 40 years.

Yet.. Everything works. The engine starts instantly. Lights work. Horns work. Heater works. Even the brakes work.

I’m going to pull the engine and freshen up everything mechanical, and add air conditioning.

I have every piece needed to convert it to a 3 speed with overdrive, and I’m leaning in that direction.

Otherwise, it’ll just be maintained and driven.

Click image for larger version  Name:	939CF3F7-E24A-4232-A368-DADD90543F7D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	139.9 KB ID:	1894239
                            Last edited by mbstude; 05-11-2021, 06:16 PM.

Comment

I don't want to assume that you know and/or remember to be very careful in what you use to clean that cloth (and how you clean it). I have seen more than one '57 - '58 interior damaged/ruined by a "car person" cleaning it.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X