1959 Lark F4 Deluxe - new brakes and wide whites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 Lark F4 Deluxe - new brakes and wide whites

Thought I would share a picture of my Tahiti Coral Lark, now with 5.90-15 bias whites and having just come back from a test run - with the brakes I’ve been sorted. Yes, I splurged on a good used grille trim and headlight rings to move it towards a “Regal”, but those are easy to convert back to “super-economy status”!

After pressing in the new lug studs some weeks back I had to wait on those copper washers for the master cylinder and then my ever-patient daughter to help me bleed the system properly. I was happy to take it slow and methodically - it stops really nicely now.

StudeRich was able to find me some complete rear 9” drum-hubs earlier this Spring, but I decided to leave installing those for now. While the PO did a terrible job separating the drum from the hub (to make his terrible shoe replacement easier I guess), the old ribbed shoes were reinstalled since they already mated to the ribbed drums. Just new cylinders at the rear and a full cleaning, lubing of adjusters, park brake system, etc. Proper drum and hub replacement saved for another day.

The Lark is looking GREAT Dave!!

Hope to see you at some NC Chapter meets this year.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
      The Lark is looking GREAT Dave!!

Hope to see you at some NC Chapter meets this year.
      Absolutely.

Comment

you don't like bumperettes?

Comment

Originally posted by mw2013 View Post
          I do, they just weren't fitted on my lowly Deluxe trim so I'm only doing a modest amount of dress-up.

Still has no mirrors, no Regal window garnish, no radio, has the '59-only hub caps and not wheel covers, etc.

Comment

Dave - Very nicely done. Tahiti Coral isn't one of my favorite colors, but it fits the car well. Nice to see someone get a nice Stude and make the effort to maintain it as-is, and not try to "improve" things. They don't all have to be hotrods.

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post

I do, they just weren't fitted on my lowly Deluxe trim so I'm only doing a modest amount of dress-up.

Still has no mirrors, no Regal window garnish, no radio, has the '59-only hub caps and not wheel covers, etc.
              Glad you got 'er done, sorta Dave. Looks Great!

I think the "Bare Bones Scotsman Look" is already lost with the: Roof Rack, Wide White Walls and especially that Nice Looking Chrome Regal Grille Moulding and Headlight Rims!
              Without that front end Chrome they always look like something is missing!

I think a little More "Gleam" wouldn't hurt.

There are no More Regal Window trims than what you have for 2 Door Sedans, and there were No Regal's.
              You already have the "extra cost" Rear Window and Windshield "Dress up Kit".
              Last edited by StudeRich; 05-07-2021, 09:31 AM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                There are no More Regal Window trims than what you have for 2 Door Sedans, and there were No Regal's.
                You already have the "extra cost" Rear Window and Windshield "Dress up Kit".
                Is the rear window dress up just the chrome around the rear window instead of exposed black rubber?

Comment

Originally posted by mw2013 View Post
                  I know you weren't asking me this................but I don't, I think most postwar bumper guards ruin the looks of the front of the car, except maybe for the small '53 C-K bumper guards.

Look at how nice the front of Dave's car looks without those whopper bumper guards!

Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Agreed, Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post

Is the rear window dress up just the chrome around the rear window instead of exposed black rubber?
                      Sure it is, but it is not Chrome, it's Stainless Steel and it locks into the Rubber Seal and includes the one on his Windshield.

Those Mouldings HAVE to be installed WITH the Windshield & Rear Glass, because they go into the rubber FIRST before the Glass is installed.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post

I know you weren't asking me this................but I don't, I think most postwar bumper guards ruin the looks of the front of the car, except maybe for the small '53 C-K bumper guards.

Look at how nice the front of Dave's car looks without those whopper bumper guards!
                        so post war is 1946-1966

Comment

My 1956 President Classic has the bumper guards. They did absolutely no good when the previous owner hit something and missed the "bumper guards" on impact and broke the upper and lower grille, grille, bumper bent and sprung the right fender. Our 59 Lark Deluxe had no bumper guards and looked clean in design. I got to know every inch of the car as a kid. Guess who's job it became to wax and clean after my dad showed me exterior car care.

I guess if you were to use your car to jump someone if you didn't have a set of cables, the bumper guard would be useful. On todays plastic cars you can't do that. I doubt very many Studebaker owners would press their cars into service to push a car out of the way when it was stalled.

Bob Miles

Comment

some compare it to brush guards on a city bound SUV, ( stude takes the prize on some outlandish guards) a little bling, the bumperettes are heavier gauge than the bumpers i used to have on my lark, when they take a hit, the bumper bears the brunt and contorts, dents and scratches the bumper

Comment

That is a sharp looking Lark. I have always been attracted to that Flamingo color. It just screams "Happy" car. Enjoy driving it. You'll get lots of thumbs up, I'm sure.
                              Ed Sallia
                              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
                              X