Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    It's a 289 that started out life in a Canadian Lark-type or Hawk, built March 4 1964. It's a standard-duty 289, not heavy duty. Unsure what the S308 means.

Leave a comment:

• jetboat
    replied
    Here are the motor # off the 63 E28 ,S308- PCC404, I assume it is a heavy duty 289. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210430_165736.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1892502

Leave a comment:

• jetboat
    replied
    We have talked,and I have the PO

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by jetboat View Post
    What I like is to keep as close to factory as I can. Originality is my preference. ROUGH means, cab corners,floors,sils,and windshield header is rusted. It is a 5-speed but this is my first truck so I am in the dark on something's. I believe it says E. 28 on the tag.
    That's an awesome truck! Zane L. in Salem has an 8E40.

I would purchase a copy of the Production Order from the SNM if you haven't already done so.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• jetboat
    replied
    I don't see a PTO on the 5-speed direct, now I am fighting the lug nuts on the right rear, I guess I need more heat.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    6.48 is the high ratio. The low one will be 8.48. Both ratios should be noted on the axle assembly itself. I believe all of the 5-speed transmissions had provision for a PTO.

One nice thing about working on these big trucks is you don't have to jack them up to work on the underside.

Leave a comment:

• jetboat
    replied
    Looks like the 5-speed OD trans. Has a power take-off on the lower rite rear of the housing Click image for larger version

Name:	16195619479127562524180434746259.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	1892009

Leave a comment:

• jetboat
    replied
    Yes, they both have the band brake, the 62 diff. Has 6.20 gears and the 63 5- speed direct shows 6.48 on the tag, now is 6.48 hi or low on the 2 speed. Thank you, I am going to start with the direct 5-speed and see how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    The Overdrive has the "Funky" Shift Pattern, has quite a bit of Noise in 4th. Gear and some in Neutral.
    Once you get used to the awkward shift Pattern it's not TOO bad, at least all 4 of the Forward gears that you actually USE are Syncro'd.

The "Direct" is way more "Conventional" and WAS the Original New Process Design.

The amount is O.D. is very slight, not as much as a 3 Speed. The drive-ability at speed will be all about what Axle Ratio you choose.
    The 2 speed will be Super LOW and Lower, both of your Axles will be in the 5's.

Do they BOTH have the Band Parking Brake or provisions for it? The one's from "T" Cabs do not.

Leave a comment:

• jetboat
    replied
    Ok, the 63 has a 5 speed direct, and I was given a 5 speed OD last week so what are the pros and cons to the two transmissions. The 63 has a 2 speed axle, and I have the single speed that was with the overdrive out of a 62.

Leave a comment:

• tsenecal
    replied
    That's a DEAL! And a cheap education. Hope you enjoy it.

Leave a comment:

• jetboat
    replied
    I think the 300 dollars I spent for it should give me that much fun, just learning about it.

Leave a comment:

• JayBird
    replied
    Don't worry you got 5 feet more for your money What a deal!

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    That would make it a 1 1/2 Ton, and Not a E40 2 Ton and or heavier GVW.

Leave a comment:

• jetboat
    replied
    What I like is to keep as close to factory as I can. Originality is my preference. ROUGH means, cab corners,floors,sils,and windshield header is rusted. It is a 5-speed but this is my first truck so I am in the dark on something's. I believe it says E. 28 on the tag.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X