Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62champ
    replied
    Production order came through today on the car.

Put together on December 30, 1954 and shipped on January 4th. Destination was Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania - swanky suburb on Philadelphia's west side. Colors were indeed Pima Red and Sonora Beige.

Came from the factory with white side wall tires, overdrive, climitizer, directional signals and wheel discs - that was it.

Leave a comment:

• Videoranger
    replied
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-Fi...3100/100185012
    This fine bronze wool works great on chrome and stainless trim and won't scratch like steel wool can. Use with Mothers chrome cleaner or your favorite. A nice resurrection just in time for Easter.

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    Took advantage of some beautiful spring weather and spent some time after work today with some chrome polish - old girl still has some shine left in her. But those side grills - wow - and C/K specific - doh . . .

Leave a comment:

• tsenecal
    replied
    Sounds like you found some bad news. It actually looks pretty good in the photos. Hope that you are able to bring it back to life. I had some of the pitted, pot metal trim restored for my Hawk. They drill each pit out, and silver solder the hole, then replate with copper, nickel, and chrome. Pretty labor intensive.

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    With the help of my brother, nephew, bothers friend and his son, got the car loaded up on the trailer and pointed north. Got a little excited getting the old dirt off, so the before photos are after the one side of the car was mostly done.

Emptied the trunk of everything except the spare, because as people always say, those things leaked when they were new.

Clearing of the dirt/dust revealed that although under cover, the cars outside surfaces have taken a beating. Every piece of pot metal is pitted to various degrees. Where the cream paint was thin, surface rust is starting to appear. Bumpers show some surface rust. Going to have to do a deep clean to see just how bad things have gotten.

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    As long as it has been in your Family, was it always Brown?
    I don't recall that being a Factory Color, so it must have been repainted a very long time ago.
    No - there was not kind of brown offered in '55 - not wild enough of a color! There is a little paint peel under the hood and on some of the wheels - think the bottom color was Pima Red.

As far as clean goes, going to get it on a trailer tomorrow and bring it back north to its old home. Before heading back, it is going to get a good wash down and leave that dust/dirt right where it belongs. Never like running water directly on these old machines, but the 1.5 hour drive back will give it a good time to dry everything out.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Nice '55 Hardtop Patrick, the Champions don't get much love, but that one should be faster than most and it's good looking under all that dirt.

As long as it has been in your Family, was it always Brown?
    I don't recall that being a Factory Color, so it must have been repainted a very long time ago.

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    And as of the end of February, this is what the interior is looking like. It was done when the car was restored back in the early 90s. It is not original and they eliminated all the small stainless trim that would have gone on the door and rear quarter panels as well as trying to get something to match the metallic brown lower paint.

And this is how the trunk looked before I sorted through everything inside.

I removed all the trash and car cover - retaining everything else and tossing in a couple things that I want to place back on the car. The original mesh floor covering, though not perfect, is still on the floor. Want to eventually get it out and carefully clean and replace.

The motor is stock except for the aluminum head. It has dual tail pipes, but the exhaust splits behind the muffler - I am entertaining the idea of getting a dual exhaust manifold and making it a true dual exhaust car.

I believe the car was originally Pima Red and Sonora Beige - production order will tell for sure.
    Last edited by 62champ; 03-11-2021, 04:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tsenecal
    replied
    At least it was under cover, and you said fairly dry there, so you might get lucky. I've seen some pretty rough looking cars shine up nice again. Keep us posted on the results!

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    My Aunt Doris passed in 2015 and Ernest in 2017. I know they had not seen the car in five or six years and had not driven it in over ten before their passing. While the car did not sit outside at any point, the environment was not the cleanest and dust has accumulated quite heavily. This area is not wet at all, so I am hopeful there is not rust to have to deal with.

This is where the car is currently on the outside:

I am not going to try and deal with any of the mechanical issues that need to be looked at to get fire in the pipes and the car stopping again. Once I get it up on a trailer, the first step will be getting it cleaned up for the first time in years and see how the paint has done. I know any chrome that could pit, has gotten pits in it, and other than cleaning and waxing, there is no going back on those parts.

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    I have gone through and looked at some old photos and found a few from back in the day when my Uncle Ernest and Aunt Doris were driving the car.

Snow in Texas (outside of the Panhandle) is unusual (ignore this winter - does not count). So what better thing to do when it snows than get your classic car out and snap a couple of photos.

These are from February 2, 1996, when the town of Hillsboro got a dusting.

My paternal family's home town was situated along a Santa Fe railway line in a geographic are of Texas known as Blackland Prairie - and it was a good place to grow cotton. In the 1990s, like every small town, the town of Buckholts decided to get more than 300 people (population) to show up for a weekend and started what was known as the Cotton Festival. As part of that, there was a parade through town @10 am on Saturday morning. The parade route was all of about six or seven blocks, but the best part is the parade vehicles parked on main street when things were all finished. This is from June of 1998, with Uncle Ernest behind the wheel.

Also that summer, the Texas chapters of the SDC were getting geared up for the International Meet to be held in the capital city of Austin. Various family members helped out in a number of ways, and the 55 was there all week. My Aunt and Uncle also had the car judged and walked away with a plaque for their efforts. Two weeks later, they pulled the car into the front yard of their house and took a whole roll of film of the car from different angles and included the memorabilia from the International.

I think a third party was with them on that day and decided it would be a shame to not have a photo of them with the car, so they grabbed their Polaroid camera and snapped this photo.

Next will get some photos of how the car currently sits and how things have changed since it was last driven, believed to be @2010.
    Last edited by 62champ; 03-03-2021, 04:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ddub
    replied
    Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
    These do look so much better without that gaudy hood ornament and fog lights, which the Speedster would look naked without.
    I agree and I have a Speedster.

I had a similar serial # problem on an Avanti. It had an extra digit in the title so 5 digits instead of 4. It was very simple, here at least, to get it corrected.

Leave a comment:

• 1inxs
    replied
    Great looking car and I love the history! What I appreciate about Studebaker owners is that they celebrate the birth, milestones and history behind their cars.

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    Originally posted by Silverplate View Post
    . . . and awesome bright chrome.
    Thanks Mike - a lot of people don't really understand how hot chrome can get in full sunlight until they have lived in Texas for a single summer...

Leave a comment:

• Silverplate
    replied
    Very nice looking color combination and awesome bright chrome. Real nice Studebaker...Mike

Leave a comment:

Working...
X