New to me: 1951 Studebaker 2R10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me: 1951 Studebaker 2R10

Just picked this one up on Thursday, 12/10/2020. It's my first...hopefully not my last. Let the honeymoon phase commence
    Attached Files

That air cleaner is fantastic.

More like an air strainer...

Comment

Good luck with it and have fun!
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Nice old truck, but looks like a project. Sometimes the work on a project can be as much fun as the driving. Good Luck with it, and keep us posted.

Comment

Good luck with your project. I really enjoy my 2R.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks everyone, yeah that beer can was a selling point for me. I'm really liking this truck so far. I've just been soaking hardware, taking a lot of pictures, and doing my research. Studebaker International is literally 5-7 minutes down the road from me. I'm waiting on a shop manual, and 12 volt conversion kit to arrive right now. Only basic work I've completed so far is rebuilding the carburetor other than that it's making record of sheet metal I need to go pick up. I'll update every now and then, I'm in no hurry.

Comment

I'm waiting on a shop manual, and 12 volt conversion kit to arrive right now.
              There is an alternator there so maybe it already has a "shade tree" conversion!

How old would that beer can be?? Its right side up and a steel can w/o a pull tab on it. When did they stop making beverage cans that needed a "church key" and had pull tabs? That would predate my memory...

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post

There is an alternator there so maybe it already has a "shade tree" conversion!

How old would that beer can be?? Its right side up and a steel can w/o a pull tab on it. When did they stop making beverage cans that needed a "church key" and had pull tabs? That would predate my memory...
                That's what I was thinking, might be missing a few things though because several bits of the wiring are cut out. The starter the guy gave with it, that he claimed was a rebuilt original, is NOT an original OR rebuilt-LOL I bought the vehicle anyway.

The brewing company was in production in Cincinnati from 1933-1957 so I believe this vehicle has set a LONG time with that breather intact. The can is worth something, but I'm definitely keeping it. Wife wants to make a shadow box of some type with bits and pieces of the project in it. Definitely plenty of bits and pieces

Comment

It cleaned up well. Stripped it down and soaked in some diesel then used an old tooth brush. I've attached some before and after photos.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nicely done. Looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
                      Nicely done. Looks great.
                      Thank you, I'm trying to do a little each day or so.

Comment

“The brewing company was in production in Cincinnati from 1933-1957.”
                        So it could be OEM!!

Comment

Originally posted by CEPCNC View Post
                          It cleaned up well. Stripped it down and soaked in some diesel then used an old tooth brush. I've attached some before and after photos.
                          The beauty of those old carbs is they are simple to rebuild. If the shaft is not loose in the body, a kit and good cleaning will put it right.
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

I'm having fun with this vehicle. I had a spare hour today and was working on the ignition. I noticed that the shifter handle is not OEM. Let's see if you notice it too...and yes, I'm keeping it
                            Attached Files

Comment

Just received the build sheet last night. A plethora of information. At least I know what the color scheme and gear ratio is for certain now...at least how it was made.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X