Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is That a '47-42 Studebaker 4door With The Wrap Around Rear Window?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is That a '47-42 Studebaker 4door With The Wrap Around Rear Window?

Did they make a 4door Studebaker with the wrap around rear window? I ask after being told that there might be some studebakers in a junkyard located in Lowpoint Illinois. So I looked up where Lowpoint was on google and this picture came up.
    (I couldn't find anything about a junkyard)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200926_204015.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.7 KB ID:	1858451
    On the far right I noticed what looks like a 47-52 4 door Studebaker with a wrap around rear window.

Lowpoint is only like 40 minutes away from me, so I could investigate further next week.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200926_204755.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.1 KB ID:	1858454
    Attached Files

I would think after looking at the pictures that that is a custom built job. It looks like it is now a limousine. I like the looks but would like to see better pictures closer up, when you get them.

Mark.

Comment

Don Gays old Garage was in Low Point. Perhaps an old project from years back?
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Obviously a stretched Custom made Limo of some kind. That would be an interesting concept though, a Coupe rear welded to a 4 Door.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, that is a Land Cruiser. This car is probably one of the ones he had in his small yard, where you see the car sitting. This picture looks like one taken after he passed away and the place was cleaned up and cleaned out. I'm not sure all the vehicles are still there? The building in the background, behind the car, is the local coop, if I remember correctly. The prominent building in the foreground is the old shop building. The door on the right next to the plate glass window lead into his office. He had parts in the large room behind the garage door, up stairs, in the middle, behind his office, in his office, and in just about every nuke and cranny there was in the building. The actual work shop was in the back of the building.

He was a truly remarkable Studebaker man, and I dearly miss being able to talk with him and visit with him and his lovely wife Nancy.

Bo
          Bo

Comment

Originally posted by jjester6000 View Post
            ... I looked up where Lowpoint was on google and this picture came up.

Click image for larger version Name:	20200926_204015.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.7 KB ID:	1858451
            Google street view images would be fairly recent. If that is/was a four door or Land Cruiser with an extended frame mated to a 5-passenger coupe it would be a most interesting vehicle to rescue and restore. Obviously not a factory product but, very cool nonetheless. Would be a one-of-a-kind attention getter.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              Google street view images would be fairly recent. If that is/was a four door or Land Cruiser with an extended frame mated to a 5-passenger coupe it would be a most interesting vehicle to rescue and restore. Obviously not a factory product but, very cool nonetheless. Would be a one-of-a-kind attention getter.
              To me, it is not obvious that it is not a factory product, even though that is probably the case. I think of the 1951 Commander stretch that the factory had a subcontractor build to fill an order to sell as new. That 1951 still exists.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Because it is a google earth shot and not too clear even when it is isolated, I think it is a Land Cruiser with a Starlight parked just in the right position next to it to give the appearance of a "special" 4 door. I cannot see clear the rear end/bumper. If there was a clear shot and there was the car parked next to the sedan, that would answer the question.

Jack if you get a chance to look up the car(s) next week, inquiring minds want to know.

Bob Miles

Comment

Would not such a vehicle be a very cool project?
                  Brad Johnson,
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If that’s what it is, then it’s new since Don died.
                    There was (because I worked pretty hard to pull what turned out to be a BAD gas tank for a friend) a dark sedan on that side of the garage; either normal Comm or LC.
                    I think what we are seeing is 2 different cars, mebbe with something square & dark between camera and cars?
                    To my eye the second car would be the right rear window of a ‘64 Lark-type, quartering away from us.
                    And yes, Don was one of the GREAT ones

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                      If that’s what it is, then it’s new since Don died.
                      There was (because I worked pretty hard to pull what turned out to be a BAD gas tank for a friend) a dark sedan on that side of the garage; either normal Comm or LC.
                      I think what we are seeing is 2 different cars, mebbe with something square & dark between camera and cars?
                      To my eye the second car would be the right rear window of a ‘64 Lark-type, quartering away from us.
                      And yes, Don was one of the GREAT ones
                      Any way I could buy parts from his yard? I need a starter, since the snout and armature are both broken on mine (just all of a sudden happened while trying to start it this morning).

I don't have much cash right now, so I'd rather buy a core to rob parts off of to fix it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jjester6000 View Post
                        I need a starter, since the snout and armature are both broken on mine (just all of a sudden happened while trying to start it this morning).
                        Armatures are available; and I had the same break in the snout of my Rockne starter. Got it welded and been fine now over thirty years.
                        A good welder with experience in cast iron would be able to save that.

Brad Johnson,
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Just to let you folks know, Don Gay’s brother Ralph, is still selling what remains of Don’s extensive inventory on eBay. I recently bought some brake shoe return springs from him. Some of his small items have prices that may seem high to us “cheapskates” but when he states “or best offer,” he really means it and will usually deal with reasonable and respectful Studebaker fans.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                            Just to let you folks know, Don Gay’s brother Ralph, is still selling what remains of Don’s extensive inventory on eBay. I recently bought some brake shoe return springs from him. Some of his small items have prices that may seem high to us “cheapskates” but when he states “or best offer,” he really means it and will usually deal with reasonable and respectful Studebaker fans.
                            Any way I could contact him directly? Since I live so close, I'd love to take a look at what he has.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                              Armatures are available; and I had the same break in the snout of my Rockne starter. Got it welded and been fine now over thirty years.
                              A good welder with experience in cast iron would be able to save that.
                              I found a snout on Ebay, but it looks a bit tall (I might be wrong)
                              Take a look at the photos for applications. This is a NOS item with box (tattered).

I'be heard that there are differences between automatic transmission starters (which I have) and manual transmission starters.

Comment

Working...
                              X