Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Lark Daytona V8 One owner car.

1964 Lark Daytona

Cool car, especially since it only had one previous owner. Were you able to speak to the original owner and hear any stories about the car? Does it currently run?
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Yes, he is 93 years old. Car dose run. The needs a lot of work. All original paint. Stored in garage and would occasionally start it.

Comment

Photos of Engine.

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum John!

Your Daytona Hardtop (64V-J8) has a lot of potential, I see it has the not so common, "Power Shift" floor shift Automatic Trans. and the Bucket Seat/Console Option.

You will want to check the Drivers side, Front, Top Corner of the Engine block for the Engine Serial Number. It will tell you if you have the 259 Standard V8 or the Optional 289 c.i.d. V8.

Scan to near the bottom of this SDC Website Page for a Picture of where to look and decipher the Engine I.D. Codes.
          On '64's they are Date Codes, but the starting Alpha: V=259 & P=289

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp

This Daytona is a "First Generation" Car built in 1963 in South Bend, IN before the switch to importing them from the Other Plant in Canada.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 09-14-2020, 03:54 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by NuCountry View Post
            Yes, he is 93 years old. Car dose run. The needs a lot of work. All original paint. Stored in garage and would occasionally start it.
            It is very rare these days to buy a Studebaker from a living original owner. Does he have any old photos of the car and any documentation from when he purchased the car? Did he mention if the building still remains from where he bought the car?
            Also, are you by chance a country music musician? Related to Gene Watson?
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

In the Engine Pic, it looks like someone was trying to set the timing or checking for spark with the #1 Spark Plug Wire removed.

UPDATE: Ok in later Pics I see all the Plugs are out maybe for Cyl. Oiling.

I also see that this is a 2 Barrel, Stromberg Model WW Carb. equipped Engine with no Power Steering or Power Brakes, or Power Disc Brakes.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 09-14-2020, 04:10 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post

It is very rare these days to buy a Studebaker from a living original owner. Does he have any old photos of the car and any documentation from when he purchased the car? Did he mention if the building still remains from where he bought the car?
                Also, are you by chance a country music musician? Related to Gene Watson?
                Yes, he Lives in Houston Texas. The owner of the car had buy another car to buy the 64. It was in the Show room at Dealership and didn't want to sale it .So he bought a 4 door car so the Dealer would sell him the 64. I have the original title. John Watson

Comment

Car was bought from dealership in Nashville Tennessee . The owner was in a nursing home when I bought the car from him about 1 1/5 years ago.

Comment

I am probably one of few original Studebaker owners. Our '64 Daytona Wagonaire has had very special life.

My wife and I loved our first Studebaker, a '61 Lark Cruiser. However, going overseas (Hawaii) for three years led us to buy a new Studebaker. We placed an order with our local Studebaker dealer in Olathe, Kansas. Working with him we really loaded just about every option for the '64 Daytona Wagonaire. The order was sent to Studebaker at South Bend in November. However, when Studebaker closed down in South Bend, they canceled our order and tried to get us to take a very similar car from unsold stock. Only thing we wouldn't take was a black interior and the third seat option. So in April we decided to try again and our dealer ordered our car from Hamilton (Ontario) in April, 1964. A number of the South Bend options weren't available from Hamilton, but our dealer arranged to have the options we wanted brought from the Kansas City Depot. The only things that we couldn't get from the factory was 289 engine with overdrive and all tinted glass. Our dealer had written a letter to Hamilton management advising them of my travel to the factory. I traveled by trains leaving Olathe, Kansas on May 4th arriving in Hamilton mid day May 5th. Several executives welcomed me and gave me a very nice tour. When everything was ready one of the executives volunteered to lead me out of Hamilton and gave me a very simple route to Detroit and advised how to deal with the customs people. Customs was already closed so I had to spend the night in Canada. Next morning- piece of cake getting across and going through Detroit. However, on a Detroit freeway I was behind a truck carrying a bulldozer. All of sudden a chunk of dirt or rock rolled off the trailer, bounced up in the air and hit my windshield leaving a chip in the windshield owning the car less than 12 hours. It's still there now. Rest of the drive- no problem.

I took the Wagonaire to my dealer who set up installing all the Studebaker options that I couldn't get from Hamilton. Way too many things to post about, but Wagonaire was and is a real trooper. Biggest problem was losing the original overdrive almost immediately then twice more in its life. It truly was and is a very hard worker traveling over most of the US. Current status is excellent interior, about 80 percent original paint (from traffic dings and such. Currently the odometer reads something over 123,000, but add about 5,000 more miles for broken speedometer cables and such.

These pictures were taken in April of this year. I drove it out of my extra garage so my friend could see the car. The only deviation is installing six-inch Magnum 500 steel wheels (due to continued loss of wheel covers due to narrow original steel wheels). I would drive it often except that my power rear window failed and won't move up or down and I haven't taken time to try to trace the problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Daytona Wagonaire 4-6-2020 001.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1857685Click image for larger version

Name:	Daytona Wagonaire 4-6-2020 001b.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1857682Click image for larger version

Name:	Daytona Wagonaire 4-6-2020 002.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1857683Click image for larger version

Name:	Daytona Wagonaire 4-6-2020 006.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1857686Click image for larger version

Name:	Daytona Wagonaire 4-6-2020 010c.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1857687
                    Attached Files
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                    X