Degreasing for transmission paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Degreasing for transmission paint

Same technique here on the Warner T-98 and R-10 O/D as I used on the engine, but a lot more hardened gunk to scrape off first. Scrape, baste in a large tub with mineral spirits, pressure wash (with the various ports plugged), pat dry, foaming oven cleaner, sit for 10min then pressure wash again, fully drying before paint.

Hard to believe from first pic that it could come to the clean of the second pic.

Bench-tested O/D governor with a power drill/ohmmeter and all is good. Solenoid as well. Had to replace the old wire that ran between the two as it had become far too brittle. Other than that, all looks good.

Build code B259-3, tells me it was born on February 25th, 1959, only four days before my engine block was cast.
    Last edited by NCDave51; 09-12-2020, 01:09 PM.

If you consider that last photo "ready for paint"...it isn't...use the Easy Off again. SOAK it and let it soak, but not dry out. Whatever is left, you'll be able to paint over. I'd suggest a metal etch primer, first.

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
      If you consider that last photo "ready for paint"...it isn't...use the Easy Off again. SOAK it and let it soak, but not dry out. Whatever is left, you'll be able to paint over. I'd suggest a metal etch primer, first.
      Thanks 345 DeSoto.

The surfactants in this foaming caustic will usually soften any paint if left on. I pressure wash it to make sure it gets out of the cast metal pores, let it dry overnight after towel drying it...any flash rust tells me it’s good to go.

Lots of good experiences with this method!

Comment

Why is it that we see a T-96, 4 Screw Top Cover Trans. for a 6 Cyl. Car?

I guess I thought you were working on a V8 Car by mistake?
        Anyway you have a Typo on the Model Number, not a T-98.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Why is it that we see a T-96, 4 Screw Top Cover Trans. for a 6 Cyl. Car?

I guess I thought you were working on a V8 Car by mistake?
          Anyway you have a Typo on the Model Number, not a T-98.
          You made me look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_80553.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1856413
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Typo indeed. Thx.