Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Progress pics: Our 1953 Commander Starlight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress pics: Our 1953 Commander Starlight.

At least all this time in quarantine has been good for making progress on our Studebaker! We've finally gotten the frame and suspension parts blasted, painted and have the rear-end together. Now we're beginning to focus on the front suspension which has me nervous as I read and re-read the manual making note of all the special tools which we don't have!

Back from blasting!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2102.jpeg
Views:	266
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1854229

Paint and clean up. New seals for the rear axle.

Name:	IMG_2133.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1854228

Test fitting the rear stabilizer bar.

Name:	IMG_2174.jpeg
Views:	265
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1854231

It's a rickshaw!

Name:	IMG_2292.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1854230

My press is nowhere near large enough to install the lower A arm bushings. I got impatient and decided to try to seat them with a socket and a hammer but this predictably deformed the flange of bushing a bit. They seem to be fully seated but I'm not happy about the result. What do you think? Should I pull these and try again? This is the first car I've worked on with this type of suspension so I'm grateful for experienced advice.

Name:	E48FBE5D-864A-4727-B353-BFB1BAC6330D.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1854227

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2299.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	205.3 KB ID:	1854210
    At any rate, I hope you enjoy the pictures. We're having fun!
    Last edited by dmercer; 09-03-2020, 04:47 AM.
    --
    Dan M.
    http://starlight53.wordpress.com

A Arms look great! Sorry but thats the only picture showing up. Would love to see the blasting pictures
    Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

Originally posted by what huh View Post
      A Arms look great! Sorry but thats the only picture showing up. Would love to see the blasting pictures
      Thanks -- I evidently snafu'd on the pictures. I think they should be fixed now!
      --
      Dan M.

Comment

All looking good now! Great progress
        Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

Dan, great to see another Studebaker will be getting back on the road. It looks like you are doing a fine job even with the dearth of tools recommend in the manual. You should find that there are plenty of modern tools that will do the job. Keep this thread going as we Forum members love to watch progress on rebuilds.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Do yourself a favor and get the spreader tool for installing the pins. I tried many different tools and finally bit the bullet and ordered it from SI. You are making great progress.

Comment

Nice work.
              Thanks for taking us with you on the restoration!
              DT Holder - Bakersfield CA, USA
              1950 Commander ("Resto-Mod" in progress)

Comment

Interesting to watch your build. I put the bushings in the freezer overnight and lightly heat the control arms to ease installation. Then I tape off the bushings and paint control arms. Just me

Comment

Thanks for the responses and advice! I'll order that spreader tool and continue posting as we progress. Flashback, I agree it would have been better to paint the arms *after* installing the bushings! :-)
                  --
                  Dan M.

Comment

Working...
                  X