My 1951 Studebaker Landcruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jclary View Post
    Now, I'm wondering if the transmission has been upgraded too?
    I would suspect it has. That's something Doug should check as well. Though the original DG was about as stout as any transmission could be. With the additional 45 horse power I would be more concerned with improving the 1951 brakes.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

One of the worst things done to these solid lifter engines is the temptation to keep cranking on the valve adjusters trying to get them as quiet as hydraulic lifter engines. A good way to burn both the valves and seats, besides lessened performance.

These tough old engines get you to your destination while playing you a little music when adjusted properly.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
        A good way to burn both the valves and seats, besides lessened performance.
        As well as the possibility of bending a push rod.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post

Not being smart, but , I am sure you know it's a solid lifter engine? Right

O by the way. I said I was a detail person and your engine compartment was detailed nice. But, would you please cut the tail off that wire tie that bundles the plug wires on the drivers side right in front of the coil. LOL
          Too be completely honest I did not know that about the 289. I appreciate you informing me though. Makes me a little more relieved.

and absolutely, I will cut the tail off haha! I noticed that as well!

Comment

Originally posted by 63avanti. View Post
            Too be completely honest I did not know that about the 289.
            Solid lifters should always make noise when they are cold, and doesn't hurt when they are warm either.
            If they don't, you already have a problem.

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              Solid lifters should always make noise when they are cold, and doesn't hurt when they are warm either.
              If they don't, you already have a problem.
              Sounds good! And yes it made noise both cold and after warming up.

Comment

Comment

About the sound of the engine...I've heard it called ticking, clicking, rattling, clatter, and chatter. The main thing in my mind is that it is consistent, with no random outstanding noises. I've heard of noisy fuel pump levers causing a faint knock as they operate, but I have not been lucky enough for any forward engine knock to be that harmless. But, a properly adjusted solid lifter valve train chatter should enable you to still distinguish more serious engine noises from the normal once you become familiar with the vehicle.

For now, as you begin to familiarize yourself with the car, and its operation, I hope you can relax enough to enjoy it. Remember, no matter what make, cars of this era require much more tinkering than anything made these days. Make sure to get the manuals, read and refer to them often. Even if you don't do the mechanic work yourself, the more you learn, the more you will be able to evaluate and choose a competent mechanic to do the work and discuss the work with him confidently.

For this car, the more you learn about the modifications, and obtain the proper manuals for those components, the better you will be prepared to accurately maintain and service them. So far, while your car maintains its original elegant appearance...it has some modifications that can provide suitable performance to the promise of that elegant appearance. Win-Win
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I am going to disagree on the engine ID. Even though it is dressed up to look like a later engine, I believe the block to be a 1955 President 259 cid V8. 1956 289s started with engine number P22001, later than this block.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I agree with Gary on the engine identification.

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10,
                      '51 Commander Starlight,
                      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

That's a very nice condition '51 Land Cruiser!

Being that it has a '55 President 259 Engine, the DG250M may be included giving you a Low Gear Start.
                        That makes a lot of sense in a '51, as it would already be setup for a DG200 Trans. and they are externally identical.

With Dual Exhausts and a WCFB 4 Barrel Carb. and likely a 3.54 Ratio Rear, that LC should really get going!

It looks like someone left your Rear Glass Stainless Trim off of the Rubber Seal, maybe it is included in the car.
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 07-29-2020, 10:07 PM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          I am going to disagree on the engine ID. Even though it is dressed up to look like a later engine, I believe the block to be a 1955 President 259 cid V8. 1956 289s started with engine number P22001, later than this block.
                          Somewhere in my aging memory, I believe I have read that before...but...apparently had forgotten. I have an unrestored '55 President Coupe in my barn. I probably need to revisit the engine number on it?

For those of us who have had both...vehicles with 289s and 259s...either one in good mechanical condition is a win. My GT 289 and my Lark 259 were great running vehicles with no need of performance apologies to anyone in normal driving. In fact, if I were offered a choice between a running but tired 289 or a fresh 259...I'd grab the 259 and have no regrets.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I’m good with it being the 259. I have a spare 259 at a friends house as well so it might actually work out better this way if something ever happens to the current motor.

Comment

Working...
                            X