My 1951 Studebaker Landcruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1951 Studebaker Landcruiser

I Finally found a 1951 studebaker land cruiser with the 232 v8 and automatic trans.

The car does need paint work and everything rechromed. Lots of chips, paint bubbling and peel. It’s a nice 10 footer in my opinion. The body and underside seem very solid though. Minor surface rust in areas. (If and when I do paint work it will be done in the same color)

overall I am very happy with the car and it’s one I intend to keep the rest of my life.
    Last edited by 63avanti.; 07-29-2020, 03:00 AM.

Really Nice car, Good combination. I would drive and enjoy AND, I would also post us some pictures of engine compartment and inside trunk..

Comment

Well...despite its flaws and scars...it sure looks like someone loved it enough to keep it right side up. Those seat covers look like the original pattern. The bent up stainless rocker trim was probably from some kid not accustomed to anything but "unibodied" cars when attempting to put the car on a lift at a tire store or service center.

I do most of my own work, but if I take my vehicle to a tire store or garage for any type of lifting service...I will not let them touch the car if I can't go into the shop area with the car. More than once, I have had to stop someone from attempting to put the lift contacts out on the edge of the car instead of the frame. In addition, you have to remind them about the left side lug nuts.

Looks like you have found a great subject for your project. Best wishes for your long term enjoyment.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
        Really Nice car, Good combination. I would drive and enjoy AND, I would also post us some pictures of engine compartment and inside trunk..
        Here’s a few shots. Trunk appears solid.

Comment

Wow that is in great shape. Congratulations!

Mark

Comment

Details, details, details. I love detail work. The engine compartment (while not original) is really detailed NICE You have a nice car there

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
              The engine compartment (while not original) is really detailed NICE .
              Appears to have had a heart transplant. Later V-8.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10,
              '51 Commander Starlight,
              '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                Appears to have had a heart transplant. Later V-8.
                Would this still be the 232 or being later the 259? I know it was portrayed to me as the 232 but to be honest I don’t know how to tell the difference at this point.

Comment

It could be a 232 with an electric fuel pump. Normally, the fuel pump on a 232 is located on the oil filler tube on top of the engine. I don't know what is involved in converting the 232 to a timing cover-mounted pump. Several years ago, I adapted a later year aluminum timing cover with a modified chevron type crankshaft seal to the front of my 232. That cover fit the engine but due to the opening for the fuel pump, I had to block off the fuel pump opening and change the water pump manifold to clear the timing cover.

If the eccentric on the camshaft for operating the fuel pump stays in the same place for later engines, then I could see where the timing cover-mounted fuel pump would fit the earlier engine (as long as it lines up from that position). Probably the best way to know for sure is to find your engine number and post it.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by 63avanti. View Post

Would this still be the 232 or being later the 259? I know it was portrayed to me as the 232 but to be honest I don’t know how to tell the difference at this point.
                    To me, it looks like a 1957 - early 1962 engine. The engine number will tell what the block started out as.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Comment

Wow! Congratulations...a 289V8 (designated by the P), for the 20781... I will leave it to the numbers guys to give us the details. So, if the engine is in good condition, in my opinion as the owner of an all original 232 powered '51 Land Cruiser...you are ahead of the game. Now, I'm wondering if the transmission has been upgraded too?
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Looks like a 56 289 engine. Good for you. I am wondering about your transmission too !!

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                            Wow! Congratulations...a 289V8 (designated by the P), for the 20781... I will leave it to the numbers guys to give us the details. So, if the engine is in good condition, in my opinion as the owner of an all original 232 powered '51 Land Cruiser...you are ahead of the game. Now, I'm wondering if the transmission has been upgraded too?

that’s cool! The motor does have a pretty loud ticking. Not sure if exhaust or internal. Plan to look into it before driving more. I took it down to the gas station today about 3 miles round trip. Runs well. Just the tick.

Comment

Originally posted by 63avanti. View Post

that’s cool! The motor does have a pretty loud ticking. Not sure if exhaust or internal. Plan to look into it before driving more. I took it down to the gas station today about 3 miles round trip. Runs well. Just the tick.
                              Not being smart, but , I am sure you know it's a solid lifter engine? Right

O by the way. I said I was a detail person and your engine compartment was detailed nice. But, would you please cut the tail off that wire tie that bundles the plug wires on the drivers side right in front of the coil. LOL
                              Last edited by Flashback; 07-29-2020, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X