The “Larkus Maximus”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The “Larkus Maximus”

I usually “hang out” in the “tech talk” forum. Today I did a lot more looking around and I feel inspired to share my studebaker story.

Here is my daily driver lark, got it back in high school. (Graduated in 2009) when I first got it up and running it was half in primer and half in a late 80’s GM maroon. It started off with a 2barrel carb and single exhaust. It’s a 259. Later it got dual exhaust with 30” glass packs. My senior year the rear end developed a wheel seal leak, so. . . It got a twin traction rear with 3.73 gears, the paint was finished (single stage) and I was able to get my hands on a WCFB.

Shortly after high school I went to serve a church mission in Florida. The car sat until the summer of 2011 when a few months after that (because there were some engine leaks) it recieved an engine rebuild gasket kit and since I was there anyway. . . An R2 cam. Shortly after that electric fuel pumps replaced the mechanical one (it was really difficult to drive in these hot desert summers. Also somewhere along the way I built a homemade flamethrower setup as a way to compromise with myself that I didn’t own a truck.

I don’t have any pictures of my high school days but I do have a couple from before “the accident”.

-see post #2-

In the winter of 2015 in some crazy snowstorm on a bridge that was under construction this happened.​
    ​​
    -see post #3-

It took me a lot longer than I thought it would between my long hours at work, and trying to be there for my wife and children but I was able to get it roadworthy again. In the spring of 2019 paint work started and a few (maybe 3 months) it was back on the road by summer.

I figured since it was getting repainted anyway. . .​

-see post #4-

I thought now would be a good time to change out the standard steel wheels for a set of avanti wheels in case I wanted to add disc brakes someday. While it sat from ‘15-‘19 the carb developed what I suspect is an internal leak (today’s dumpy gas) so now it has an AFB from an “old dodge truck” I think it’s probably a 625cfm. That’s how it sits today.
    Last edited by thehotrodder; 07-05-2020, 03:21 PM.

Before “the accident”

Comment

“The accident”

Comment

How the “Larkus Maximus” is today

Comment

Great work and great story!

OH...and thank you for learning how to post pictures so that we can use the arrow keys to toggle through them without having to go through a bunch of extra clicks to view them.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Good looking Lark! I especially like what you did with the wheels.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              Great work and great story!

OH...and thank you for learning how to post pictures so that we can use the arrow keys to toggle through them without having to go through a bunch of extra clicks to view them.
              I still haven't figured that one out.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Nice work on the rebuild after the accident...really like the scallops on the roof! cheers, junior
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Harken's back to an age I'm quite familiar with. Extremely well done.

Bob

Comment

Thanks guys. I’ll probably post more studebakers in the future. Got a few, and car show season is trash.

Comment

Working...
                    X