Tahiti Coral - new addition in NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tahiti Coral - new addition in NC

Always intrigued by the use of 59-60 Lark sheet metal stamping to create the sheet metal of my 62 Champ, I set out to find a two-door sedan.

Finding this one on Hemmings.com, it finally came into NC this evening by carrier out of middle GA. (If you need a good carrier in this very tight market, PM me).

It’s a plain Lark VI, originally sold through Schneider’s Motors in McCook, NE (decal visible dead center of bumper), still wearing its Tahiti Coral paint. It has been garaged all its life and was still in the original owner family until sold thru this private finder (Peachtree Classics). It has just under 60,000 miles.

Plan simply is to polish back to shine and tend to the usuals: hydraulic brakes, parking brake and a full lube and go lightly from there. From what I can see there is zero perforation - just light surface rust on the normal surfaces.

I see the little Six has a BIG Plus... a 3 Speed Manual WITH Overdrive! THAT makes it a winner.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Question on opening the Lark hood correctly - I remember seeing somewhere either for the Lark or Hawk (not sure) that you pull towards you when just opening or just about to close? Seems like there's a spring action fore-and-aft when the hood is nearly horizontal.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thx.

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
        Question on opening the Lark hood correctly - I remember seeing somewhere either for the Lark or Hawk (not sure) that you pull towards you when just opening or just about to close? Seems like there's a spring action fore-and-aft when the hood is nearly horizontal.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thx.
        Pulling forward is for C/K models, including all Hawks, plus early sedans. For your Lark, lubrication is the most important part, assuming proper adjustment. 1959 - 1960 Larks had a hood held up by a prop rod. Starting in 1961 the hoods were spring supported.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The Champ Trucks and the '59 to '60 Larks do like to be pulled toward you when lifting, just not a much as the Awkward lifting, pulling Hawk Hoods.

But as Gary said, with some Lube and the proper assist Springs in place, they are not that bad.

Still waiting for Pics of that Cool little Tahiti Coral 2 Door OUT of the Garage, as in Side View.
          StudeRich

Comment

Will be pulling it out of my nearby storage locker to bring it home and lightly cut-polish the original paint, so I’ll try and post a pic or two this coming week.

A little test area with Turtle Wax paste cleaner came up nicely by hand.

Comment

Just home early this morning - first drive for me ever in this Lark. Did these sixes all start so readily and idle so quietly?!

100% original paint, interior. Hope to only do brakes, fluids, adjust clutch and enjoy it.

Comment

Like any flathead, they are relatively quiet (the valve train and other moving parts are encased in cast iron).
                They are also slow, but you do not buy one of these for performance.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

David, mighty nice looking basic Lark. I like the Lark's stable mate too. You have the perfect Studebaker match up. Congratulations!
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Mighty nice car! Don't go overboard with the buffing wheel and burn through the paint.

I used to use something called dark magic that brought old paint back to life without removing any of it, Great stuff.

My 51 Champion starts almost before you can get your foot off the starter button.

If the clutch does not want to stay adjusted, look for broken pins or split collars on the rotating shaft going to the bell housing.
                    Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-27-2020, 08:48 AM.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

That is about as "Basic" as it gets.
                      No; Radio, Lighter, Clock, Padded Dash, Deluxe Steering Wheel, Tinted Glass and of course a Regal Interior was not available in a 2 Door Sedan, so with a Climatizer you're good to Go!

The only more needed, and really Great Option would be an Overdrive, as it probably doesn't have one.

Looks like a Total Time Capsule!
                      StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        That is about as "Basic" as it gets.
                        No; Radio, Lighter, Clock, Padded Dash, Deluxe Steering Wheel, Tinted Glass and of course a Regal Interior was not available in a 2 Door Sedan, so with a Climatizer you're good to Go!

The only more needed, and really Great Option would be an Overdrive, as it probably doesn't have one.

Looks like a Total Time Capsule!
                        Amazingly, it does have the overdrive - or at least the handle and cable are there.... I don’t see a relay so as I’ve come to understand, the later B-W systems changed the solenoid and governor circuits to dispense with the hot control power across a relay? Not sure.

Haven’t had the time to work on it nor drive it -I’ve just stored it for now. Enjoying the Champ immensely and will switch over to the Lark come fall-winter.

First thing to really address: the drivers door “pops” against the left fender when first opened. Slight adjustment to the aft should do the trick. These doors have a pretty tight tolerance at the front edge?!

Comment

What it may be is the Front Fenders do not have any, enough or thick enough Rubber Shims between them and the Body to give good Door Clearance.

I would not want to guess why that is; Fenders have been off in it's past, poor Factory Fit, or deteriorated Rubber. Hopefully not bending Frame, it is only 14 Ga.
                          StudeRich

Comment

Drove the '62 Champ to my nearby storage locker and brought the '59 F4 home to slowly begin the needed repairs to what is now a 60,005 mile survivor.

New brake lines just arrived from InlineTube, rotor/points/coil/plugs/cables from RockAuto, hoses, rear cyls and front cyl rebuild kits and shoes from the same and the somewhat elusive distributor cap for the 6-cyl Delco-Remy unit from Stude-Intl.

Long clutch pedal freeplay makes me wonder if anyone ever tried adjusting the slack - I'll find out soon enough! I'm sure others out there enjoy the disassembly, cleaning and renewal almost as enjoyable as driving a Studebaker. Maybe even more.

Other than repairing the door armrest cap upholsteries (the brown plastic bases are just fine), the interior will remain untouched.

Enjoy your Studebakers!

Comment

Keep at least the coil as a spare.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X