My First Studebaker - Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Studebaker - Photo

I was going through 60 years of old photos and ran across this one of my first Studebaker. It started as my dad's '55 Commander. He had done extensive work on the engine. He worked at Valley Ring & Rebore in Van Nuys California and so had access to some of the best engine builders in the area. He had the engine bored to 304.5 and it was blue printed, balanced and equipped with an R1 cam that he had obtained from the Granatelli brothers in LA. It was also equipped with Janz racing pistons. The intake and exhaust manifolds were ported and polished and a Holly 4 bbl added. The DG 250M transmission was beefed up and the differential was a 3:31. He had it painted with gold lacquer. It was converted to 12 volt and a Hawk dash was installed. This was a road ripping terror in the San Fernando Valley for a time.
    After dad got it all set up he found a '57 Golden Hawk and turned the keys to the '55 over to me. I was dumbfounded. I added the chrome wheels. The car became well known on Van Nuys Blvd cruise nights (Every Saturday). I happen to be another one of the guys who wishes he had his first car back.
    Here is the photo:
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
    I happen to be another one of the guys who wishes he had his first car back.
    Here is the photo:
    No kidding....I'd want that one back too! Were the wheels made by Superior Industries? I love the old personal 'back-in -the-day' photos...we need more of those. cheers, junior
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Junior, yes, I believe those were Superior Industries wheels. I thought they looked great on that car.
      B-T-W, I have a good memory of that car racing a 396 Chevelle and beating it by half a car length. The owner of the Chevelle was not happy and accused me of having a Hemi under the hood. After he saw the Studebaker engine he seemed genuinely impressed and handed over the five bucks we had raced for. He also told all his friends not to tangle with the gold Studebaker and it became harder to line up a money race after that. I probably should have sand bagged it and let him win, but I honestly expected him to beat me. Who knew.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

What a nice looking 60s era hopped up Studebaker! Enjoyed the neat story, and bet you have lots more stories to tell about that car. Wonder if it has survived?

Comment

Thanks for sharing the story about the car, and the photo. Very interesting. Bet the 396 found it interesting too!

Mike
          Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Working...
          X