• Show
Clear All

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200703_150148~2.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1844166 Today I fabricobbled a hanger for the fuel filter by the carburator. Used a piece of 18 ga. sheet metal 5/8" X 12" coated with shrink wrap. Turned out nicer than what I usually do.
    Next is running the 1/4" return line all the way back to the gas tank filler tube.
    At this rate Buttercup should be ready for the road by about 2025.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
    Pretty sure Jerry will be happy with this pump too, no matter what he chooses for a motor or carb.
    Yes, I think it's going to be a great choice. Thanks for the info that led me to it. Since I'm running a lowly 259 with a Quadajet, I don't think I'll ever have a problem with not getting enough fuel to the carb. That 12 to 15 lb. pressure scares me though. So I'm going to run a pressure regulator on the fire wall, then a flex hose going to the fuel filter with the return line, then a hard line with a fuel gauge going to the carb. Pictures later.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    That sounds like an impressive pump.
    That's the one I run on the 56J, mounted on the gravel shield in front of the radiator. Recently while cleaning the glass filter, in-line between the tank and pump, I blew all the gas back into the tank so the line would be dry while cleaning the filter. Once done and everything was reconnected, I turned the fuel pump on and, in a few seconds, it brought gas gushing into the filter. With its strong siphoning, I believe it would work even if mounted on the roof of the car. It also has plenty of capacity for a return line, but I have an inline restrictor that reduces the 1/4" line to .030". With this setup, the return line pushes gas about 1" across the filler neck, where it dumps back into the tank, about 4"-6" below the gas cap.

With the above setup, the WCFB has been happy under all driving conditions for almost 2000 miles now. As was the Demon carb before it, and several others. Pretty sure Jerry will be happy with this pump too, no matter what he chooses for a motor or carb.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    That sounds like an impressive pump.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied

In parallel, you could increase the flow by running them both. In series, you are limited to one pump (that may be plenty) with possibly a restriction of the second non-running pump.
    I am not familiar with these pumps. What is the mechanism giving the pumping action that still allows free flow when not pumping?
    I do not know how it's built on the inside. But here is the description.

Facet Cube 12V Fuel Pump, 1/8 NPT, 12-15 psi, 96" lift

Click for a larger picture of Facet Cube 12V Fuel Pump, 1/8 NPT, 12-15 psi, 96" lift
    Brand: Facet-Purolator

Solid-state Facet cube-style fuel pumps have low power requirements (about 1 amp at 12 volts) and operate without troublesome seals or diaphragms. Facet pumps are compatible with gasoline, alcohol blends (up to and including E85), diesel, biodiesel, and fuel additives.

This model is rated for maximum fuel delivery of 50 gallons per hour at free-flow. Maximum pressure 12 to 15 psi. Typical flow 30 GPH at 5 psi or 20 GPH at 8 psi. 1/8 NPT female ports.

This pump has an internal one-way (anti-drainback) check valve to prevent fuel from draining backwards through the pump. It does not have a positive shut-off (anti-siphon) valve, so fuel can flow through the pump when turned off. The huge 96 inch dry lift capability is greater than any other cube-style pump Facet offers. The positive and negative wires have a 2-pin Amp connector installed from the factory.
    Last edited by Jerry Forrester; 06-06-2020, 01:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post

Why? Fuel flows through these pumps with no restriction when they aren't running.
    In parallel, you could increase the flow by running them both. In series, you are limited to one pump (that may be plenty) with possibly a restriction of the second non-running pump.
    I am not familiar with these pumps. What is the mechanism giving the pumping action that still allows free flow when not pumping?

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied

Wouldn't two in parallel be better?
    Why? Fuel flows through these pumps with no restriction when they aren't running.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post

Thanks Gary.
    I figured if one is good then two would be better.
    I have a three position switch (on-off-on) on the dash to control them. I'll run only one and if (or when) it quits I can simply flip the switch and keep going.
    Wouldn't two in parallel be better?

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    It looks like a neat installation. Why two in series?
    Thanks Gary.
    I figured if one is good then two would be better.
    I have a three position switch (on-off-on) on the dash to control them. I'll run only one and if (or when) it quits I can simply flip the switch and keep going.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    It looks like a neat installation. Why two in series?

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    started a topic Buttercup gets fuel pumps.

Buttercup gets fuel pumps.

Almost. Haven't mounted them onto the frame yet. They'll go onto the outside of the passenger side frame rail. Just below the door. Since I'm not running a mechanical fuel pump, I saw no reason to put them on the driver's side. Besides, the parking brake cables are there.

That's a piece of conveyor belt I mounted the pumps on. Then the Z brackets will be mounted to the frame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200605_161844.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1839589Click image for larger version

Name:	20200605_161904.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1839590

Attached Files
Working...
X