No announcement yet.

New Member 51 Champion Regal Business Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know if you will do any drag racing - unless it is neighborhood kids on their bikes... To my knowledge, I don't think Studebaker ever had a three speed transmission where 1st was synchronized...you learn pretty quick when you can slid it in as you are coming to a stop.

OD should engage 30 to 35 mph. On your car, an easy way to know when the solenoid engages is the amp gauge needle will jump when it kicks in. Depending on the road conditions, you can let off and go into OD or push it a little further in straight third and engage it higher up on the speedometer.

Very first thing I was taught when I started driving a Studebaker was to always put the gear selector in reverse when the car is parked. I came home late one night in a '50 Champion and did not put it all the way into reverse when I pulled into the driveway. My father woke me up at 4 am when he was headed to work and told me I need to come outside - the car had rolled out of the driveway , jumped the curb across the street and was sitting 3/4 of the way in the neighbors yard. Needless to say, I did not fall back to sleep after pulling it back into the driveway - emergency brake is always a good idea too!

Comment

I've never had a car with over drive and I'm 72, first car was a 61 Ford. Can you just leave the overdrive handle pulled out, or only pull it out in third gear?? I removed the cable and soaked it overnight in solvent to free it up. The lever on the trans seems to be ok, the solenoid is rusty on the outside and still has original wiring, I'll worry about that later.
      Now I'm confused about the thermostat. It didn't have a thermostat, it had a rawhide string wrapped around the sleeve which was still in place. My new kit from SI has the round gasket and with that in the housing, the sleeve extends past the surface of the housing flange so I'm afraid it won't seal to the head. Should I leave that gasket out??

Comment

Originally posted by studegolfer View Post
        I've never had a car with over drive and I'm 72, first car was a 61 Ford. Can you just leave the overdrive handle pulled out, or only pull it out in third gear?? I removed the cable and soaked it overnight in solvent to free it up. The lever on the trans seems to be ok, the solenoid is rusty on the outside and still has original wiring, I'll worry about that later.
        If you are doing a lot of in-town driving below 40 mph, you can leave the handle pulled out which locks OD out and gives you engine braking like a regular standard transmission. With the handle pushed in, OD will be available if needed. One thing that alarms people is when it is pushed in, the car will freewheel when OD is not engaged - feels like it is rolling in neutral.

Not a bad idea to take off and clean all those electrical connections - 6 volt systems like a good, clean contact point.

Comment

Thanks Champ!! Useful Info. looks like your Champ is same as my Champion, Mahi Blue, gotta be fun.

Comment

Gah! More disinformation about overdrive. Why is it such a mystery?

Unless you are going down a steep hill, just leave the handle pushed IN. The overdrive is automatic. It will go in and out as required, when it is necessary. Just leave the handle pushed in, drive the car, and forget about it.

And put it in reverse when you park.

It's really that simple guys.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
            X