Name:	IMG_2982.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1832751Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2983.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1832752

I joined the local Studebaker club in 2017 after attending a few shows with my father and his 39 Commander Special, the bug bit and I have finally bought or actually, I swapped a motorcycle for a 1955 commander coupe.
    The car was delivered in February 2019 on a truck with lots of boxes. The plan is a complete body off restoration, a big leap from restoring classic bikes.
    To date I have rebuilt the motor (259), stripped and re-painted the chassis, replaced the shocks and suspension rubbers/bushings and although I plan to stay with the original drum brake system (for now) I have ordered a duel master cylinder kit.
    All the chrome and stainless trim was delivered with the car, however, the centre grill piece has a 25 mm hole which will need repairing before re-chroming, the radio is the only thing missing.
    The cars original colour was Saginaw Green but will be painted in a light green with a cream roof.
    There is still a long way to go but I am pleased the last of the black chassis paint is on!
    Cheers
    Stu

First of all, congratulations. I notice that your car has LHD, so I'm wondering if any 1955's came with RHD?

Comment

Great work. Glad to see that you are changing to the dual master while leaving drum brakes on. I did that with my 60 Lark convert and the change gives me all the stopping power that I need. The Turner kit is good and complete . Keep us posted on your progress.
      Bob
      Bob
      Welland Ontario
      60 Lark Convertible
      64 Daytona
      sigpic
      "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Hello Stu,
        A lot of similarities there, I also was into restoring English bikes mainly BSA's, my car was at about the same stage as yours on purchase,
        I'm interested in the dual master cylinder kit, are you able to give me some info on that, I know Alan Hyde is still operating down there,
        did you purchase it from him?

regards, Cus
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys for your comments, the car came with parts books and shop manual, I also got a copy of Chuck Lampman's book "Some thoughts restoring a Studebaker" which has been a big help along with searching this forum of course

Yeti i am not sure how many 55 RHD's there are here, i don't see many Speedsters at shows. and haven't seen any Commanders, I suppose there might be a register somewhere?

Bob and Cus, one of the first things i read on this forum was get the brakes sorted, the guy i bought it from (traded a restored military 39 Norton 16H) gave me new brake shoes with the deal so i thought i'd go that route and switch to disk fronts down the track if required.

Alan is still supplying parts at i think very reasonable prices. I have ordered a duel M/C kit from Nathan Kramer (NSW i think), both Alan and Nathan are members (Alan a founding member) of the Australian Studebaker Club which is the best resource of all, lots of very knowledgeable heads and everyone more than happy to help a newcomer!!!
          Cheers
          Stu

Comment

I am relatively new to Studebaker's although not new to "old cars". Joined SDC in 99. I was not aware that any one other than Jim Turner (he lives in Indianna) provided kits to convert the original master to a double pump system. He provides the hardware and proportioning valves to convert the single stage master in stock location under the floor to a double pump system, with recommendations to what master you should use, depending on weather you are going disc or staying with drums on all 4. Most people in my part of the world have gone with disc brakes. Any one I know is as happy as I am with the conversions to "modern brakes" in stock position. Just did not know there was another source.
            Bob
            Bob
            Welland Ontario
            60 Lark Convertible
            64 Daytona
            sigpic
            "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Nathan had a kit on display at our national meet in Toowoomba last year, it has all the hardware and the M/C included. There are a lot of passionate Stude people over (down) here which makes getting parts a little easier. I have no issue buying parts from the USA, its the postage that's the killer!
              Cheers
              Stu

Comment

Originally posted by yeti View Post
                First of all, congratulations. I notice that your car has LHD, so I'm wondering if any 1955's came with RHD?
                I don't believe any C & K model was available in RHD prior to the 1957 model year.

Chris.

Comment

Working...
                X