Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fargoguy
    replied
    Welcome aboard! I have some parts- may have a head gasket for you- i'm in Prince Albert, just north of you- email me at evan.d@skyvelocity.ca- Nice truck- we have a 54 with the Champ six and overdrive- rear end gear ratio is one thing to consider as well. Ours has pretty short gears- 60 mph is pushing it. Evan

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    Champions are fine engines. I had a 52 coupe with overdrive and drove it all over. The only big issue is climbing steep hills.
    I agree with the guys who suggest keeping the truck mostly stock if you are going to use it on weekends and trips around town occasionally. My truck was converted to a Studebaker V-8 when I got it, but the chassis is stock. I have driven it a few hundred miles several times and its road manners are fine. It will not ride like a new truck, but it sure gets more attention.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4632.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	1834023

Leave a comment:

• my2R5
    replied
    Vicstude, welcome to the forum. I too have a '51 Canadian built truck, last four digits 5514, so only 99 trucks before yours came off the line.

Leave a comment:

• Buzzard
    replied
    Victor,
    I have two of those 170 cid motors and they are superb. One is in a '48 Starlight Coupe (professionally rebuilt) and one in a Weasel. They were very robust and overbuilt and with little maintenance, will perform well for a long time. Do the five speed conversion I mentioned and it will perform like a Champ (pun intended).
    Luck,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    No, the 245 s the Commander 6. Yours is the smaller 169.6 ci Champion 6. Most of the vendors on the Stude Vendors list would be able to get the parts, and some will have them in stock.

Leave a comment:

• Vicstude
    replied
    Thanks Skip. So its a 245 ci inline six and StudeRich may be able to sell me all the parts it would take to seal it back up?

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    It's a Canadian-built Champion 6 originally installed in a 1953 2R5 truck -- very likely the original engine. I think all parts are still available, most or all from StudeRich.

Leave a comment:

• Vicstude
    replied
    Skip, that stamp number may have an incomplete T then the rest is HIR5637. StudeRich my guess is that it was honed not bored. Those marks on the cylinder walls is from a little oil I placed on the pistons while turning it over. There is no ring wear on the walls. The crank/cam probably never came out when it was rebuilt and very dirty. Old oil deposits everywhere. Where can I buy a complete seal kit? How would I clean out this block at home and once it's cleaned I'd like to paint it. Is there a better rattle can product for this purpose?

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Looks like it's "never ran condition" is verified!

From what I can see of the Bore, it sure doesn't look like it was Honed or Bored does it?
    Looks a bit Glazed, or is that a shadow.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Not sure of the engine number. Is it T-IR5637? (In Stude-speak the I is a 1 (one)). Is there a digit in front of the T?.

Leave a comment:

• Vicstude
    replied
    I opened the engine and took pictures. With the casting numbers can anyone identify what it is and thoughts on the engine itself. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7004.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	1833280Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7006.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1833281Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7007.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	1833282Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7008.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1833283

Leave a comment:

• Vicstude
    replied
    Thanks again for everyones response. I'm still on the fence but I have opened up the fh6 to see what it looked like after sitting for years after a rebuild. With the head off I'd say new pistons and valves were installed. The front cylinder walls had a light dusting of rust as the rest were clean and dry. I'll drop the pan and see whats up there. I'll get a few more pictures up soon.

Leave a comment:

• frankenworks
    replied
    Nice looking truck, Manitoba seems to be very kind to vintage metal, Ontario not so much!
    here is my 2 cents, I would keep the truck as original as you can and still be a safe driver, brakes and more power ok.
    my truck had already been modified with a Camaro front clip and rear diff, so I kept the body original and modernized the rest.
    My truck was also built in Hamilton in 1951.
    Good luck, have fun they are great looking trucks
    paul

Leave a comment:

• jetboat
    replied
    Very nice truck.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    I think we all agree that it's your truck, so you should follow your passion and modify it if that's what turns you on. Even with a rebuilt engine, it will seem underpowered by today's standards -- but the OD will help it to keep up with traffic. And also be aware of the limitations of the 1950s brakes.

Should you decide that the Champion 6 doesn't give you enough power, the truck can easily be converted to V8 power by transplanting any Stude V8 in there. Thousands have been so modified over the years. Such a job is straightforward, if you have a V8 parts truck, with or without its engine. All the small bits (motor mounts, shift and clutch linkage, etc) will be there. And several companies make disc brake conversions that work very well with the original frame. There are also kits to adapt the Ford Aerostar front suspension to the existing frame, which would give you disc brakes and R&P steering without a full frame transplant. Lots of options.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X