New guy here from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy here from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Hi just wanting to introduce myself to the group. First off I just bought a 53 2R5 and It was in a barn for the last 30 years. The truck is in very good shape and all there. The engine was rebuilt 30 years ago but was never run. I am torn between keeping it original or placing it on a suitable donor truck ie Dodge Dakota frame/engine. The engine is the flathead 6 cylinder. Your thoughts please.

It's just my opinion, but if the truck is pretty complete, and in good shape, I'd keep it original, sounds like a diamond in the rough. Maintenance would be fairly basic over the life of the pickup, versus trying to match a new frame, new engine, new transmission, brakes...… etc. Though parts for the Dakota much easier to get. If you do go the Dakota route, somebody would probably dearly love to have that frame and running gear for a project. My Champ pickup has a Jeep front end..... its a cobbled mess. Wish it had been original when I got it. So, my point is, if you're going to keep the pickup long term, do what you like, but if in a few years, you move on from it, I doubt anyone will take it back to original once with the Dakota frame, so it would be a Dakota frame Studebaker probably for life. Anyway, just my thoughts.
    Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

They are only original once and resto-mods have limited resale appeal. If you plan on keeping it and putting lots of miles on it, then the Dakota route will make it a more comfortable cruising machine. Your truck, your money, your choice. And by the way , WELCOME to the "Studebaker world" as I see this is your firs post.
      Bob
      Bob
      Welland Ontario
      60 Lark Convertible
      64 Daytona
      sigpic
      "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Every year we lose a few more original Studebaker cars and trucks to either a wreck, natural disaster, or modification. I watched my brother cut up and heavily modify a few over the years and it made me sad, even though I know he was just following his passion. I agree with Mike and Bob above. If it the truck were too far gone to save any other way then save what you can and modify the rest. If the truck is all there in it's original state and can be put back on the road without doing anything other than maintenance or a restoration then I would leave it original. They are lovely machines and are a joy to drive just as they are.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

My vote is to keep it original as well. It is likely that you have modern vehicles for trips and daily drives. The original truck could be used for these purposes, it just won’t be as “refined”. Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Welcome, I don't get on here much but, it's your passion so follow it,I at one time was going to hot rod my 54 3R6 but could not change it, they have a story to tell and I found that the people really like there story. I own 2 original family studebakers.

Comment

Welcome Victor!
              Already in four hours you have received multiple ideas and suggestions. As Eddie, Bob and Tom stated, seeing as the engine has been rebuilt, you are already part way there. Use your Brand X for the more long distance drives (everything in Saskatchewan is a long distance, or at least seems like it) and use this one for local shows and special events. (PS: I have been to Martensville).
              FWIW, I winter in Arizona and hang out with like minded hot rodders and this year my best pal's grandson inherited a 1934 suicide door Dodge pick up built by the Graham corporation for Dodge. It is very original and rust free. And it too is powered by a flathead 6 cylinder and although a little lower in power than what we are now used to, it runs and drives remarkably well for it's age.
              Seeing as these original trucks were designed to be work trucks on the farms, and combined with the stiff gearing makes for less than pleasurable driving in this day and age. We made an adaptor and slipped in a late model Chevrolet S10 five speed which changed everything. The improved gearing makes it so driveable compared to original (not to mention fully synchronized) and can do highway speeds with no issues. The big bonus is you can hardly tell what we did. I am sure a conversion could be done with yours with little money outlay as I think we paid only $150.00 for a good used transmission. We were also able to simply adapt disc brakes on the front and swap in a Ford Explorer rear disc brake axle for cheap as well. Again much better gearing and driveability. Just some thoughts for you to ponder.
              Good luck with your new ride and don't forget to post some pics as you progress.
              Cheers,
              Bill
              Last edited by Buzzard; 04-28-2020, 09:01 AM. Reason: missed the "R"

Comment

Friend of mine restored a '56 Transtar to all original, except the paint color.
                Drove it for several years, on tours, in parades, club activities, and to his wedding.
                A couple years later he decided to drop the body on to a full size Dodge 4x4 with a Cummins 5.9.
                He had to shorten the Dodge frame and move the radiator in to the bed; but he made it work. Then sold his entire original rolling chassis for more than he had paid for the Dodge. Sold some parts off the Dodge body as well.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	P9040012.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	1832810

Just saying, you always have the option of doing both!
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

First OFF, you need to find out WHAT you have!

All 1949 to 1953 "R" Series Pickups have "Flathead Sixes", so that says nothing.
                  Did you check the Serial Number Plate on the Left side of the Cab to be sure it IS a 2R5?
                  A 2R-6 or 2R-11 would be a Commander "245" Flathead Six. Also is it a 3 Speed Manual, 3 Speed Overdrive or 4 Speed granny Low Floorshift?
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Listen to Rich. He knows "stock" Studebakers if you decide to restore it stock.
                    Bob
                    Bob
                    Welland Ontario
                    60 Lark Convertible
                    64 Daytona
                    sigpic
                    "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome and I appreciate your opinions. I have already purchased a 2003 Dakota R/T for this project but I could resell it easily if I get cold feet with the swap. I did check the badge plate and it is a 2R5-12 model with a serial number HR5-5613 and is a Canadian built unit. It has the six cylinder with a 3 speed tranny column shift and over drive. I plan to drive it around town and to shows and the farthest would be 250 klm to our cabin once and a while. A few pictures of her.

Comment

I think we all agree that it's your truck, so you should follow your passion and modify it if that's what turns you on. Even with a rebuilt engine, it will seem underpowered by today's standards -- but the OD will help it to keep up with traffic. And also be aware of the limitations of the 1950s brakes.

Should you decide that the Champion 6 doesn't give you enough power, the truck can easily be converted to V8 power by transplanting any Stude V8 in there. Thousands have been so modified over the years. Such a job is straightforward, if you have a V8 parts truck, with or without its engine. All the small bits (motor mounts, shift and clutch linkage, etc) will be there. And several companies make disc brake conversions that work very well with the original frame. There are also kits to adapt the Ford Aerostar front suspension to the existing frame, which would give you disc brakes and R&P steering without a full frame transplant. Lots of options.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Very nice truck.

Comment

Nice looking truck, Manitoba seems to be very kind to vintage metal, Ontario not so much!
                            here is my 2 cents, I would keep the truck as original as you can and still be a safe driver, brakes and more power ok.
                            my truck had already been modified with a Camaro front clip and rear diff, so I kept the body original and modernized the rest.
                            My truck was also built in Hamilton in 1951.
                            Good luck, have fun they are great looking trucks
                            paul

Comment

Thanks again for everyones response. I'm still on the fence but I have opened up the fh6 to see what it looked like after sitting for years after a rebuild. With the head off I'd say new pistons and valves were installed. The front cylinder walls had a light dusting of rust as the rest were clean and dry. I'll drop the pan and see whats up there. I'll get a few more pictures up soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X