Off to work again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off to work again...

Fine spring weather here in the mid-Atlantic, save for a few recent storms and gusts. With windkill and lots of stay-at-home yardwork seeing us remove 40 year old lilac, azalea and wax myrtle, it didn’t take long to get a good volume of green waste. Off to our green facility with two trips in the Champ.

Add to this was another quarantine project to build our first fire pit...and so some good split hardwood was needed, which we sourced today. This 1/2 face-cord could definitely be felt as we pulled up hill, but other than running a little hotter than normal, my ‘62 (with ‘64 Lark GT 289) handled it with aplomb!

As fun as it is to haul with, the Champ brings even more fun as people ask what it is, why I am using it for hauling scrap and wood, etc. With a thick blanket down first and then a heavy tarp, nothing gets thru to the bed surface so it comes home clean as a whistle.

Enjoy your spring in your Studebaker!
    Attached Files

Very fun seeing the Champ helping out. How did the pickup ride with the load of wood? Looks like the pickup stayed pretty level, not sure how heavy that wood is.
    Thanks for sharing the photos and story. Hope to have ours doing something similar some day.

Mike
    Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

One of the POs (jackb?) installed the HD rear springs when this Champ was fitted for towing another Studebaker around to shows in the Midwest. It sat a bit lower than level with the 1/2 cord( unladen sits above level) - but with it being 80% red oak and the balance mixed HWs like maple, I was definitely having to stay away from 4th gear. It knew it was pulling something dense.

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
        One of the POs (jackb?) installed the HD rear springs when this Champ was fitted for towing another Studebaker around to shows in the Midwest.
        I bet red oak is heavy. Our Champ was originally ordered with HD springs, but long story short, I don't have all the springs to make it HD again right now. Good to learn about what the Champs can do.

Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
          /Cut/I was definitely having to stay away from 4th gear. It knew it was pulling something dense.
          Really? I would think a 289 Hawk Engine with Truck Rear Gears and a 4 Speed would NOT need to basically go into 2nd Gear (3rd. in a 4 Speed) unless you have Car 3.07 Rear Gears or live on a steep hill!

Maybe that was only on that Hill?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yep, probably the 800 or so pounds with the 3.31 (43:13) rear end combined to challenge the truck!

Comment

Working...
            X