1960 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Hawk

Couple months ago I wrote that we had been offered a '60 Hawk from a friend. Very sad to report, he passed away few weeks ago. The car has a Studebaker Drivers Club decal and license plate frame, so he might very well have been a member at one time. Maybe someone will recognize the car? It was last registered in 1991.

His intent I think was to see that the car went to a good home. We're going to do our best to work on the car, in his honor.

It appears the car has sat for about 20 years in a field.

Click image for larger version

Name:	12352.jpeg
Views:	301
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	1830062Click image for larger version

Name:	12354.jpeg
Views:	236
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	1830063Click image for larger version

Name:	12358.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	1830064Click image for larger version

Name:	12364.jpeg
Views:	228
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	1830065

We hired some friends to pick the car up for us. And they did a fantastic job..... though with 4 flat tires, non of which would hold air, they had to struggle a bit. According to them, we're still friends!

Name:	12369.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	1830066
    Car loaded up, ready for the travel to its new home.

Name:	12380.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1830067Click image for larger version

Name:	12372.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	1830068
    Delivered!
    So what we know about the car. The 289 was replaced with a 259 at some point. Two barrel carb. Automatic. Some rust behind the front wheels. Rocker panels look ok on the exterior. The interior is not good. The upholstery is brittle and cracking. Carpet is shot. Have not looked at the floor boards. The car seems intact. It missing some little chrome accents, and chrome around the wheel fenders. Fourth hubcap was inside the car.

Though it's our car, this is going to be my wife's car. She said I could have the Champ now! So it will be fun to see what she would like to do with it. Though she is like me, and really wants to honor Frank, as we still consider it his.
    Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

You guys don’t just like to dip your toes in the pool, you like to jump in head first!

It is a shame that car had to sit out - looks like it was really decent in the recent past. When you pull the carpets out, try not to get overwhelmed by how much work their might need to be on the floors - it is a 60 year old vehicle, so repairs are a given.

The Champ is a good learning curve, so your skills can be finely tuned when you work on the Hawk. Good luck, pace yourself, and make sure we get plenty of updates along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
      The Champ is a good learning curve, so your skills can be finely tuned when you work on the Hawk. Good luck, pace yourself, and make sure we get plenty of updates along the way.
      Yeah, we weren't really looking for a another project. Hopefully the pool isn't very deep!

Our plan is to see if we can get it running with minimal work, and just work on cleaning it up, light restoration. Full restoration will be after we get the Champ going.
      Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Congrats on your "new" Hawk. It is really too bad that it had to sit outside for so long, but you two seem to have the energy to get it cleaned up, and back in running order. I think Frank must have seen this as well, and hoped that you could give it a new lease on life. Hopefully the mechanical side isn't too bad, brakes, steering, fuel system, and floorboards. After that is sorted out, lots of cleaning to be done. I have a 60 Hawk, that was in similar condition, now restored and driving. It is the photo in my avatar. Good Luck with it!

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
          Congrats on your "new" Hawk.
          Thanks. Hopefully some day it will look close to something as good as yours!

Any advise as to problem areas we should look for?
          Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

I spent four years on a frame off resto, so it's all like new. Nothing too complicated, except that there was lots of rust repair. I replaced the floor pans, back of both fenders, and both of the trunk corners. Hopefully when you get it cleaned up and inspected, it will not need as much repair. It seems like it was a pretty nice car when it got parked. It will be a fun project for you both, and you will have a his and hers Studebaker. Good Luck, and keep us updated.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
              I spent four years on a frame off resto, so it's all like new. Nothing too complicated, except that there was lots of rust repair. I replaced the floor pans, back of both fenders, and both of the trunk corners. Hopefully when you get it cleaned up and inspected, it will not need as much repair. It seems like it was a pretty nice car when it got parked. It will be a fun project for you both, and you will have a his and hers Studebaker. Good Luck, and keep us updated.
              Thanks, we'll post photos as we go along.
              Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Working...
              X