Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just joined forum

Good Day All.

Just joined forum, was a SDC member in the 1970s,1980s and 1990s. No longer have a Studebaker but below are some cars I previously owned when I was active in the hobby. Also had a 1950 Champ 4 door (daily driver), a 1950 Starlight coupe, and 1954 Conestoga Wagon. My Power Hawk was in the film 'Dirty Dancing.'

Career and life got in the way until I hit 57 when I was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer; after 6 years of operations, chemo and dialysis. Apparently it is not my time to go yet because even through the doctors at Wake Forest and Duke all told me I had a 5% chance of living more than 6 months I have come out on the other side.

And while I still have plenty of Studebaker models and literature, my primary hobby is now philately since lifting stamps is a lot easier than turning wrenches and lifting engine blocks.

During my career I was VP of Engineering at a technology company and the negative medical prognosis has focused my attention at getting my affairs in order. Back in 1987 and 1988 I attended many auto meets including the 88 national in South Bend. I had a video cam at the time and recorded a lot of footage.

If folks think it is worthwhile, I can digitize this to MP4 format and upload them to YouTube as a form of archiving. Is this worth the time of should I just toss these old VHS tapes?

Regards
    Don Denman
    stampsmarter.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	cars1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1820801

Hey Don, welcome back to the forum! My daughter’s family lives in Asheville and I grew up in Tryon and Columbus. That area is certainly God’s country.

Comment

I'd say to archive as much as you possibly can. Too much knowledge, info and data has been lost because it wasn't properly prioritized.
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Don, good to hear from you! I remember you well, and remember your cars also

Congratulations on beating the cancer. I look forward to seeing youagain at some NC SDC meets maybe.

Paul Warta
        ​​​​​​​Kernersville NC
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Getting tapes digitized is pretty cheap nowadays- please have it done, always good to have more legacy footage. :-)

Comment

Hi Paul!
            It has been a while...hope this post finds you and yours healthy and happy.

Hi creegster,
            I already have the device and software to convert the VHS tapes. As the family 'archivist' I have been digitizing all the old records, documents, photos, and videos. I have even digitized all the old family Super8 and 8mm films. (I was a but a young kid, but have the footage of my visits to the 1964 NY Worlds fair. )

The 1988 National meet tape is an hour long so that would be around a 4GB conversation. It is 'doable' but I do not want to invest the time and effort if there is not much interest.

Hi 64V-K7,
            I concur, one of the greatest sins is how much knowledge and experience we take to our graves with us.
            Regards,
            Don

Comment

Welcome to the SDC Forum! It is great that you survived Stage 4 cancer.

I won a First Place at that 1988 SDC Convention with an Avanti. That was when there was only one First per class. (That Avanti won a Senior First the next year in Las Vegas.)

I made a few trips to that World's Fair. When I saw the Charger II show car, I knew that all that they had to do was lop off some of the rear and they could sell it. When the factory rep's. learned that I drove my 1965 Sport Fury to the Fair, they spent some time with me. I pestered the Dodge dealers around here, ordered a new 1966 Charger and took delivery of the first one in this area. I drove it for nine years/150K miles.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
                Back in 1987 and 1988 I attended many auto meets including the 88 national in South Bend. I had a video cam at the time and recorded a lot of footage.

If folks think it is worthwhile, I can digitize this to MP4 format and upload them to YouTube as a form of archiving. Is this worth the time of should I just toss these old VHS tapes?
                Absolutely, its worthwhile!!

It will be great memories for me as I was there at the 1988 meet! (I posted a couple of photos I took of that meet here:
                https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....tures-ii/page2

Craig

Comment

I concur with digitizing your video footage. I am sure there will be a lot of interest in viewing this now historical footage. Remember, once it is gone, it's gone. Please preserve this precious video.
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Don,
                    Firstly welcome back to our new 21 st century Studebaker Forum.
                    Secondly a hearty CONGRATULATIONS at putting the big "C" to rest. You are truly a CHAMPION (pun intended).
                    Thirdly, a big thanks for putting the benefit of all others on this forum first in order to save this very rare archival footage. Trust me, the conservation of your old footage will not be wasted here and it will be hugely appreciated.
                    Do not be a stranger here as your contributions will be treasured.
                    Cheers,
                    Bill

Comment

Prime examples:

No idea what happened to this former Forum poster, but he did leave us with some good photos of past meets,
                      https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....-of-south-bend

As did Leonard Shepard: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....71-pics/page3=

Craig

Comment

Concerning the Link in Post #11:

I see that it has not been very long since JL Jacobson Posted on 08/14/19.

Hey James we miss you, Please come back!

I could not find a James in Santa Monica, only a Gene & Jan in El Monte, CA in my 2018 SDC Roster.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback.

The old VHS Video has been digitized and posted to YouTube.

Date: August 1988 (boy was it a hot drive even with the 'dual 55' air conditioner)

Content: South Bend buildings including interior Studebaker Admin, Tippecanoe, Studebaker Museum, Stude autocross, Stude Meet

Warning... I narrated this as a family vacation kind of thing, feel free to turn off sound. In 1988, VHS camcorder technology was new and I was certainly not good with using it. The video quality is significantly inferior to todays technology and the cam had no stabilization features.

Don
                          Last edited by Ephemeral; 02-13-2020, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Thanks. The video brings back memories. It ends with a good shot of my Avanti. I have seen videos of the new museum, but I do not remember videos of the previous museum.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That is some awesome History right there!

I guess we sometimes forget just HOW much Technology has improved over the years.
                              But It did get a bit horizontally stretched in the conversion.

But I just think about ALL those beautiful restored cars especially the really old pre-War and older ones, that they certainly do NOT have room at the New SNM if they still even have many of them.

And where did all those People and their Cars GO since 1988!
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X