No announcement yet.

The Project Continues 58 J Body Hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow that is so cool...for some reason I assumed the car was totally stock. Will you mount the coils on the engine, or remote? Can't wait to see the engine in Packard dress! cheers, junior
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Right now the plan is to remotely mount the coils and either make or use a faux distributor kit

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ignition Coil 7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.7 KB ID:	1867795Click image for larger version  Name:	Ignition Coil 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.2 KB ID:	1867796

Click image for larger version  Name:	Lokar Kit.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.2 KB ID:	1867794
      Last edited by JayBird; 11-29-2020, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Picked up some fenders from an SDC member, got some NOS parts from SI and sent them out for repairs

Comment

More repairs to a common rust area

Comment

Fenders blasted, major repairs made, 2 coats epoxy primer and inside coated with bedliner

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1876515Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	169.2 KB ID:	1876509Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	132.6 KB ID:	1876514
              Originally posted by JayBird View Post
              The intent is to keep the body stock and upgrade the mechanicals. So will be a GM crate. Hoping to give it the retro look something similar to this but with the stock air cleaner and going to have the oil filter and breather/fill tube added in the front along with a set of Packard valve covers!

Click image for larger version  Name:	LS3 Retro Look 1.jpg Views:	143 Size:	86.3 KB ID:	1867729 .
              Great minds think alike! Here's my mock up of a fake R1 engine that I'm doing for my 63 Wagonaire. This is using a foam block for now (to test fit in the car) but it will eventually be a 5.3 all-aluminum LS engine (LM4). The Studebaker valve covers are just acting as coil covers. They are mounted on Holley 241-298 valve cover adapter plates for Chevy small block valve covers. The Stude covers fit perfectly, but I needed to make some plates with studs to mount the covers using the original 2 bolt holes.
              Last edited by scott.rodgers; 01-23-2021, 07:30 AM.
              Scott Rodgers
              Los Angeles
              SDC Member since 1989
              \'60 Lark HT
              \'63 Wagonaire
              \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Sometimes it feels like a revolving parts depot. Parts going out and parts coming in. Trim going out, chrome coming in, more parts going out for a shiny new coat of chrome and some NOS parts found on Facebook coming in.

Comment

I don't think that Chevabaker Engine is going to fool anyone. Why not put the "Packard Super 289" Decals on it.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I'm saving those stickers for all the 289 Mustang's.

Comment

Hanging out with the PACK!

Name:	packard 64 (1).jpg
Views:	383
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1880221
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looks like you think "HIGHER" of the Stude. than most of the others.

Comment

When just one set of 58 Packard fenders are not enough....These are the original fenders and a set of 58 Studebaker HT sedan fenders. Although they are very similar there are some differences. First the area at the front lower corner on the Packard is recessed to accommodate the fiberglass air dam, second and even less noticeable the front extension on the inside where it meets the hood is straight and does not extend as far. If you look carefully at the Studebaker hood it has a curve to it where as the Packard is straight. Anyway these were in progress when I came across the other pair that I got from an SDC member. Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender collage.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	1882560
                          Attached Files

Comment

I've got a fever for some more 58 Packard parts. I attended Dave's invitation only garage swap meet and well I just couldn't resist.

Comment

After spending years cruising swap meets Dave was reluctant to let go of his parts cash! It's okay Dave take a deep breath and just let go. I promise I'll put the parts to good use or take good care of them and store them for another 10-20 year then pass them along to the next owner.

Name:	20210322_110312.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1886955

Comment

Fitting Fenders and trimming the aprons. Next up the radiator core support.

Name:	packard 67.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1889090

Comment

Working...
                                X