The Project Continues 58 J Body Hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Project Continues 58 J Body Hardtop

The 58 Packard J Body Hardtop project continues part 2. See part 1 here > https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....project-begins

Created a short video covering the work to date that is highlighted in my previous post "The Project Begins" . This is a quicker way to get up to speed on this project and all in one place! I'll continue to post here for now.
    Last edited by JayBird; 08-16-2020, 03:00 PM.

Great progress! It's always interesting to follow other peoples builds. Looks like the rust repairs are wrapped up, and you can get on to the fun stuff.

Comment

Did it originally have cloth and vinyl seats or the rare, optional, all vinyl interior?
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I owned one that was full of filler but looked good,but had all vinyl red & black interior,diid nor realize at the time how rare it was.

Comment

The project one had the cloth/vinyl however the other "parts" car has the all vinyl (red/black) Click image for larger version

Name:	Pack 01.jpg
Views:	1789
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1819253Click image for larger version

Name:	133147664.jpg
Views:	1772
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1819252
          Attached Files

Comment

There used to be two red & white '58 Packard hardtops in this area, mine with the red/black all vinyl interior and a friend's (car previously owned by the mother of the owners of Knight's Garage, Wappingers Falls, NY - Studebaker dealer to the end) with cloth/vinyl interior. The two similar and rare (two of 675) cars were often at the same meets/shows/events.
            Last edited by studegary; 02-01-2020, 01:22 PM. Reason: moved '
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

That's on the bucket list. When the project is finished I'd like to find as many surviving 58 Packard HT's as possible and get a photo of my car with each.

Comment

Originally posted by JayBird View Post
                The project one had the cloth/vinyl however the other "parts" car has the all vinyl (red/black) Click image for larger version  Name:	Pack 01.jpg Views:	41 Size:	42.3 KB ID:	1819253
                Does the project car have a signal seeking radio, sometimes called by the GM name of a wonderbar radio?
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

There were only a handful of '57/'58 Packards Built WITHOUT a Premium Push button, Signal Seeking Delco (Wonderbar) Radio!

On the '58 Stude. and Packard HARDTOPS, about the same, probably under 20 built without a Twin Traction Differential!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I think both cars have TT and the wonderbar radio. Its on my list to get the build sheets from the Studebaker Museum

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      There were only a handful of '57/'58 Packards Built WITHOUT a Premium Push button, Signal Seeking Delco (Wonderbar) Radio!

On the '58 Stude. and Packard HARDTOPS, about the same, probably under 20 built without a Twin Traction Differential!
                      I find this to be surprising. Perhaps it was a regional thing. In this area, all of the 1958 Packards that I knew of (not just hardtops) had the regular push button radio from the factory. At least one (that I know of) was changed over later to the signal seeking style.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

My car has a regular push button radio and no Twin Traction, both correct as per the build sheet

Comment

Do you suppose Gary that the Zone Offices had something to say about what options were on the Cars the Dealers Ordered?

It IS possible that they "Approved/Suggested/Adjusted" the Dealer Orders especially the "For Stock" Cars, not Custom Ordered by a Buyer.

I DO know that some Cars were actually Ordered by the Zone, how many would be in their "Pool Stock" is anyone's guess.

That IS weird that here on the Coast we never see a Packard "without", and East of the Rockies or where you are, you do!
                          Have you noticed the LARGE number of eBay "J" Body (Sedan) Hardtops that have the TT Emblem?
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            There were two distinct types of signal seeking radios in the SP lineup in 57-58.

Most of the Studebaker-bodied Packards that I have seen in junkyards had the Packard style signal seeking radio (similar to the 55 Chevrolet, with electrically operated chrome push buttons, red pointers above the buttons and a little door that drops down to set the buttons). Maybe the ones I saw were all 57 models. The 58 Packard in the OP's photo looks like the Studebaker radio with white mechanical push buttons like the standard Studebaker radio. It looks like it has the "wonderbar" above the dial.
                            Last edited by RadioRoy; 02-05-2020, 07:19 AM.
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Making some more progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X