Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Lark Custom Project

[Edit: I corrected the title.]

Aside from a post in the introductions section, this is my first post. The subject car is my second Lark - the first one was a '64 that I drove between 1969 and 1973. I've been meaning to write a good introduction to this project, with glossy 8x10s and everything. I'll get to it, I promise. But first ....

After getting the six-cylinder engine running in the "new" '63, it turned out to be a bad smoker. I tore it down and sent it to a machine shop that gave me bad news after pressure-testing the head. I've since learned they are notorious for cracking, although some previous owner had a valve job done not long ago (in miles, that is - might have been 30 years ago). That shop might have done something clumsy hardening the exhaust valve seats or something. My shop thinks it's junk, but someone has already told me that repair is sometimes possible and reasonable given that the situation may be desperate.

But is it? So far, I've only found one replacement head available, NOS (!), for big money. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Curt Austin, Adirondacks, NY

Click image for larger version  Name:	studebakerEngineRemoval.jpg Views:	10 Size:	83.4 KB ID:	1808077
    Last edited by Adk46; 10-26-2019, 06:13 AM. Reason: Got the model name wrong.
    1963 Lark sedan 6-Cyl Automatic

I've never seen a '63 Cruiser that had the L A R K letters on the fenders, and besides they all came with 289s, not sixes.
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
      I've never seen a '63 Cruiser that had the L A R K letters on the fenders, and besides they all came with 289s, not sixes.
      I agree. The car pictured is not a Cruiser model.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Keep your eyes open - not to long ago, someone posted online ( not sure where) that they pulled a running OHV6 from a vehicle to put in a V8 and had it for sale for $200. Good luck.

Comment

Oops, I had the model name wrong - a brochure for optional equipment was in the glove box - that is, the "vanity" - that said Cruiser, but I knew better from the WSM. I guess the full name is "Lark VI 4 Dr. Sedan-Custom". That's based on a plate on the right side of the firewall that says "63S-Yb" which I'm taking to mean "63S-Y6". But S/Ns are supposed to be on the driver's door jamb. There is indeed a plate there that someone tried to scratch out. Looking closely, my best guess is that it says "63S-2I252" [two - eye - two - five - two]. A mystery! Maybe there's a "C" stuck in there for a Canadian body, and the "eye" is meant to be a "one" - 63SC-1252, but I don't think so. Since these two plates are attached to the same front body structure, it would be quite a Frankenstein repair job. Of the two, the firewall plate seems more genuine, covered in the original paint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	studebakerSNb.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1808133
          On door jamb

Name:	studebakerSNa.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1808134
          On upper firewall in engine compartment, right side.

Name:	models1963.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1808135

Comment

For your amusement, some photos. The sensitive may wish to avert their eyes for some of them.

Working on old cars has become a bad habit in my retirement, which started with the Porsche 928 in the background. I built a proper work space a few years ago. Not shown are the smallest and the biggest: a '59 Bugeye Sprite and a '78 Mercedes Unimog. The earlier photo of engine removal was taken in the Unimog shed, under a trolley hoist I installed for replacing its "double clutch".

Name:	studebakerOnLift.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1808143

A small victory while cleaning out the fuel system: I resurrected the fuel sender unit using stuff every Porsche 928 owner must have to deal with its troublesome electrics. This is the only victory with this car so far, but that's OK.

Name:	studebakerSender.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1808144

The rust bucket got pretty full. Replacement floor panels are on hand. Welding equipment purchased. Metal working and welding skills in development. Courage building? Not yet.

Name:	studebakerRustBucket.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1808145

Odometer says "64XXX". What does this grime say? Oh - this photo shows a bit of automotive archeology: what I suppose must be the original horn, disconnected. There is another mounted on top of the radiator support on the right side.

Name:	studebakerTransGrime.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	1808146

When I got the engine running (and smoking), I ran the transmission though the gears to see if it worked at all (on the lift). But something seemed horribly wrong - it seemed to go from P to N to D to L to R. The indicator panel was missing, but surely an automatic transmission isn't supposed to do that, is it? I googled, found a photo of a Studebaker with "PRNDL". Damn. But eventually learned "PNDLR" is correct. Whew.

Comment

Keep working on the courage building, and it looks like you will get plenty of practice on the metal working and welding skills. Keep asking questions, reading. and looking things up, and you will soon be familiar with your car. Good Luck with it!

Comment

This was posted in the general discussion forum. "
                I have a 64 OHV 6 with 59k miles on it. I've not taken the time to fire it but guy I got it from did and ran good with the exception of RBS carb. Will sell for $200.00. If interested I'll get it fired up and see how it does. I have a pallet to ship it on. It has non overdrive trans on it that will go with it. I do
                " It's out of a champ pickup. Might be what you need.

Comment

Thanks for that reference. I've PM'ed the fellow. The thread that it's in is for a pickup that might be a far better project...

Comment

The I "eye" on the S/N plate is a 1 (one). That is the way that Studebaker did it. I wonder if the first part of the plate is scratched out because it said 63V instead of 63S. On a 1963, the S/N plate should be spot welded on, not held on with screws.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

PM sent
                      Kim

Comment

Interesting project Curt - I'll be following!
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Hello Curt- Check your private messages, I tried to send you one but the new system is so difficult I don’t know if it went through to you or not. I may have a solution for your engine issues.
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                          X