No announcement yet.

New project for me 51 pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plumbing done for the vintage air, I decided to go through the fender for all the hoses, battery and cables will happen today, battery under the back of the cab, I will put remote posts under the hood for the just in case!
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by frankenworks View Post
      Started yesterday to get rid of the leaf springs and install the 4 link with coilovers
      i have to finish the welds but it is in!
      I had a knowledgeable friend guide me through the steps after I showed him my numbers and what I wanted.
      This is great to see. I am in the middle of a restomod as well so your posts have been very useful, thanks!

What size wheel/tire do you have on there? Any clearance issue with the fenders?

Is that a welder series 4-Link? It's hard to tell from the pictures but do you have the bracket mounted on the inside of the frame? Not the outside?

Comment

15x8 rear 15x7 front, just enough room, i will check sizes for you tomorrow.Wheels and tires were on the truck when I bought, they are new but 15 years old!
        The 4 link is a ridetech with their shock mount kit, very good quality and great price.
        Mount is on the inside, made for some advance planning for shock mounts related to exhaust room.

Comment

Slowly coming together,i got the back glass in, the half the windshield... managed to crack the passenger side.
          Pretty happy so far, waiting on a few parts for the doors, they will arrive mid week so I can get the glass and seals in.
          New axle bearings and seals in, pinion removed ready to install new gears and posi unt.
          I had a friend come in today to help with the last little bit or wiring and go over and show me my mistakes.
          The filler neck will be installed in the left rear fender at the back, that will be a bit scary as i will be cutting a hole in a painted fender, tape and lots of water will help keep the paint from getting hot and coming off.
          Should have really done it before it was painted.... hindsight is 20/20.
          Hope to hear it run for the first time by the end of the week
          Attached Files

Comment

It’s been a couple of weeks so time to get caught up!
            First , the truck started right up and sounded great, but no communication from the pedal to the throttle body.
            Plugged in the scan tool and checked the codes, after a lot of frustration it came down to the harness at one plug wired wrong, wires upside down!
            Changed the position of the wires in the plug and voila throttle response.
            I celebrated by opening up the cutouts!
            Next up was to check all the lights, I am using a led taillight from a 67camaro, nice and bright and they look good in behind the housing from classic enterprises.
            i managed to get the other half of the windshield in by myself without any damage.
            lots of stress using a hole saw in a freshly painted fender, lots of water did the trick.
            The filler neck and cap are from a 53 Chevy pickup.
            i put the seats in yesterday, then removed them to put in hushmat and test fit the carpet.
            I am getting worn down, time to take a few days off before tackling the door glass and the finishing touches
            Attached Files
            Last edited by frankenworks; 07-12-2020, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Wondering where you got the lower box valance from and if your going to replace the rear fender to box gaskets?

Comment

looking great, and in such a short amount of time! I like the look of the seats...what are they out of? cheers, junior
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

The seats are recaros, they are about 25 years old, they were fit to a truck then taken out and never used.
                  The quote for the bench to be redone was the same price as the buckets.
                  Vic, not sure what you mean by fender to box gaskets, I just put Welting in from another Studebaker pickup.
                  the lower valence came from classic enterprises
                  the 4 link is a ride tech weld in
                  paul
                  Last edited by frankenworks; 07-13-2020, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Rear diff finished up on Saturday, rear discs on
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looking great!

If the salt flats discs aren’t just for show, be aware how they essentially cancel the ventilation that is so critical for dust removal and cooling for disc brakes?

Comment

Learn something new everyday!
                        thanks
                        paul

Comment

Truck is heading to the alignment shop Tuesday morning.
                          Some parts needed to finish the door windows arrived today, maybe I can get the glass in by the end of next week.
                          Last edited by frankenworks; 07-26-2020, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Do you really need glass to go for a drive. It is July and this is Canada!!!! Not to mention Covid. Where should we meet ? I am dying to see your build. I can wait till you correct the faults, but Vineland, next week looks good for me. How about You?
                            Bob
                            Bob
                            Welland Ontario
                            60 Lark Convertible
                            64 Daytona
                            sigpic
                            "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Going to have to wait before a drive, I need tires and there isn’t to be had for another two weeks!
                              I checked every warehouse and suppliers in the states.
                              none, the earliest they can ship is august 5.
                              i put vintage air in for a reason, so I can enjoy nice long drives on hot summer days!

Comment

Paul,
                                I too am in Canada and I spent my life in the tire industry. So I am curious as to what sizes are you finding so difficult to procure?
                                It seems that surely there must be something somewhere that should work well. Maybe I can be of assistance.
                                You have a very nice ride.
                                Cheers,
                                Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X