Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1961 Studebaker Champ, restoration

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Actually I don’t think shipping on the leaf springs was all that bad. I bought a pair form Dave Tebow on the east c AST and had them shipped to LA. He just wrapped them together with duct tape and put a mailing and put a mailing label on them. Went by fedex or ups as I remember, about 3 years ago. Definitely less than $50.

    Mark

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by ChampCouple View Post
      Taking photos would be a good. I thought the service manual would show about everything. No photo of the gas tank or how its mounted in the manual. Thankfully its not complicated, but some photos would have been good backup.



      Thanks
      Suggest you purchase the 62-64 truck parts book, which has exploded views of nearly every component part of your truck. They're available in both print and CD from many vendors, and originals come up for sale on ebay all the time.

      https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...er+truck+-fits
      Skip Lackie

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Bullet View Post
        Actually I don’t think shipping on the leaf springs was all that bad.
        Thanks, shipping leaf springs seems cheaper than I thought it would be.

        - - - Updated - - -

        Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
        Suggest you purchase the 62-64 truck parts book, which has exploded views of nearly every component part of your truck.
        That sounds like a very good idea, thanks!
        Mike and Dawn

        '61 Champ

        Comment


        • #19
          This past weekend, I wire brushed and undercoated the rear leaf springs, for the '62 frame.

          70027020_2378059208943889_398182930498715648_n.jpg

          Upper one has been wire brushed. One thing I did notice, the springs had some rust that caused flakes, for lack of a better word. The wire brush would not remove the flakes, but barely touching the stone wheel to them, knocked them off. So, where it looked like it had some flakiness to them, that's what I did. I tried an angle grinder, with a grinding disc, and worked ok too.

          The big news, I thought the '62 frame had the leaf spring brackets on the axle oriented wrong, on the bottom instead of on top. As I was comparing them to the '61. But, 62Champ noted that the '62 axle is correct, and looked like someone welded leaf spring brackets to the top of the axle, to raise the truck from the ground, to match the 4wd front end. So, very happy the '62 axle should work.

          I did ask my dad about the '61 axle, and said someone had noted the spring brackets look to have been ground off, then welded back on top of the axle. He told me "I don't remember doing that", then a long pause "but I might have"!
          Mike and Dawn

          '61 Champ

          Comment


          • #20
            I think the hardest part by far will be trying to remember which Bolts, Nuts, Washers go where. Good drawings Photos or marked ziplock bags will help.

            You will find that the Studebaker Parts Catalog is your best Tool for assembly sequence, identifying parts correctly and ordering New Parts that will be needed. The Shop Manual is good for Specifications, adjustments etc. but not assembly.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner



            Comment

            Working...
            X