V max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V max

After reading an article on how beefed up the V8 engines were with forged steel crankshaft & rods, gears instead of a timing chain & solid lifters, I decided I was babying Ruby my 63 GT Hawk with a 289 & a 4 Bbl Edlebrock carb.
    Cruising home on Friday evening from a car meet I was doing 70 & about 1/4 mile from my exit I decided to open her up. I hit 105 and it was still pulling strong but I had to back off (quite honestly - I was glad to)
    I wonder what the published top speed was and who has opened theirs up. I am aware of the Granatelli Bonneviile record runs but I'm talking street cars.
    Not looking for a lecture here

You are a brave man! I get Barney up to 75 on the freeway and I am white knuckling the wheel! Of course that may be partly because the steering box needs adjusting, but it’s mostly the way it lifts up off the pavement when I get ove that speed ..

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I routinely drove my 1957 President Classic (also a 289, 4 bbl) at the end of the speedometer (about 125 indicated) I figured this had to be well above 100 actual. I have run other Studebaker V8s over 100. I found the valve train to be the limiting factor (float).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Been to 135 in my brothers R2 Avanti, and there was more left. It does get a little "hairy" in that range though. Bill

Comment

with a horse & buggy suspension, I guess it would

Comment

Don't all Stude V8s have solid lifters?

Comment

Originally posted by Chartrain View Post
              Don't all Stude V8s have solid lifters?
              Yes. If you are referring to my post, the valve train weak point is the springs don't keep up with the RPMs, not a lifter issue.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Hope you have addressed the issue of the hood flying open at speed...!
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

So...as I was glancing over today's thread titles, (from the "what's new" view) I saw this one and wondered why anyone would post a thread about the overpowered/overbuilt obscenely powerful Yamaha Vmax motorcycle in the "Members Pictures Forum?"

It is a bike built around a huge v-twin engine and certainly not a machine for inexperienced or timid rider! So, I'm not familiar with the term V MAX related to how fast you are willing to risk while driving your Studebaker?

I suppose as in "you learn something new everyday," I have to conclude that V MAX must have been an expression of "risk" that had eluded my attempt to expand my vocabulary...until now.

As to the term "white knuckle," or at what speed causes anxiety...for me, it has very little to do with how rapid I am moving but how competent is the main mechanic...since I can only visit him face to face within the confines of my doubts, or while looking in a mirror.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John C. - I do not believe that Vmax is an expression of "risk", but rather is just "shorthand" for maximum velocity.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      John C. - I do not believe that Vmax is an expression of "risk", but rather is just "shorthand" for maximum velocity.
                      Well...I don't see that Risk & Maximum Velocity are unrelated...in fact...somewhere during last night...I had a dream of maximum velocity in (of all things) a 1955 Studebaker Speedster (which I have never driven & don't own) and had it at Maximum Velocity, when I suddenly rounded a curve and found myself on loose gravel, out of control, and spinning toward a huge rock wall!!! Just before impact...I woke up! (WHEW!)

I think it was my brain's way of telling my sleeping body to get my smothering head out of the pillow, turn over, and take a breath!

Like breaking the glass to get to a fire extinguisher, or the melting fuse link on a sprinkler head...our unconscious sleeping bodies must have their automatic safety features to take over when we risk exceeding our ViableMAXimum ability to stay alive while not breathing.

Curious...how these conversations wander off topic...GUILTY
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I recall a German slogan, "It's not how fast you go, it's how well you go fast". Even the hopped up Stude V8s that will go fast, do not go fast well. LOL

IIRC about top speed on any 259/289 I ever drove was around 105-110, no matter the gearing. Th motor just runs out of power to push the cr through the wind any faster.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                          I recall a German slogan, "It's not how fast you go, it's how well you go fast". Even the hopped up Stude V8s that will go fast, do not go fast well. LOL

IIRC about top speed on any 259/289 I ever drove was around 105-110, no matter the gearing. Th motor just runs out of power to push the cr through the wind any faster.
                          That German statement...how true. Case in point...way back when I was a car salesperson our lot took a BMW 635CSI on trade. I took the car out for a spin, headed out on my favorite strip of straight highway to see what it would do. Stopped in the middle of the road, mashed the gas pedal through the floor and waited. Well the acceleration was rather lame, and the transmission (automatic) had lazy shifts. Not what I had expected at all. Anyways I let the car gather some speed, and although the acceleration was ho-hum, the car kept accelerating. I started getting the sense of speed, the road stripes on my left we passing me by rather quickly...looked at the speedo and I was doing 130 mph. Holy smokes! Didn't feel anything at all...the car was settled, and all was calm in the cabin. Felt like it could run that speed all day long. The only other time my V max had been in that neighbourhood was in a '71 454 'Vette and things were much more busy behind the steering wheel. The fastest I have ever had one of my personal cars was my Datsun at 125mph...that was a thrill in itself as it felt more like 200 mph...lol V max for my Stude has been a blinding 95 mph...not do to lack of power, but more to do with common sense and the loss of desire to finding the absolute top end...jeez, I must be getting old. cheers, junior
                          sigpic
                          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Speed is a relative thing.
                            I had Ruby up past 110 this weekend and it was still pulling but I was starting to become "uncomfortable"
                            I've had a new car that I drove to 145 mph right off the showroom floor and been over 150 at one of those Nascar driving experiences. That drive actually felt slow as on a 1 1/2 mile banked oval there's nothing such a flying fence pickets whizzing by to convene the sense of speed.

Comment

Working...
                            X