No announcement yet.

The saturday night special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back glass was as expected. A bugger bear to install. Just didn't seem to want to go in at all. Finally got it in. It bumped in after several days of sitting in sun and bumping. Glad I'm finished (almost ) with it. ( clean up) Gonna move to some more interior work and door glasses as soon as possible. Also got the top of quarter stainless polished and on

​​​​​​​

Comment

Have been at work a little in afternoons and night since going back to work. Slow but going. My wife has been giving me a hand Almost finished installing window channeling, replacing vent glass weatherstrips and installing them, new whisker strips as well as door glasses in both doors. Have finished upholstery on rear panels, and have them almost finished installing. Rear Quarter windows are in, and one outside rear view mirror installed Looking more and more like a real car again. I had predicted i would drive by the 4th of July. My back yard hot rod just might make it a little earlier.. I better get the YOM tag refurbished and on!!

Comment

Wow! What a beauty.

Comment

looking mighty fine Tex. those wheels are puuuuurfect!
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Thanks Dewayne. It's hard to mess up a 53 coupe, even for me , LOL Yep, junior, once the wheels were on, I realized i had done at least one thing right in my imagination. They look just as I had hoped. My wife has been helping me for the last few days. we been working toward getting the car ready to put the carpet in when it arrives. Here' a few shots of the upholstery progress. I have been pleased with our work. Remember, it's a back yard hot rod. I am a detail person and even though I am not as good as i once was, I'm still trying. One thing that I always look at is serial number plate condition. I am pleased with this one. There have been several of these ( ) along the way, But all in all it's gonna be a pretty nice 10 footer. I am starting to look forward to enjoying some crusin' .

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
              Remember, it's a back yard hot rod.
              That's bull carp.
              I've had a few 'back yard hot rods' they're were never that nice.
              Is that a water transfer decal on your serial number plate? I tried one of those on Frosty when I built him but with me being a fumble fingered oaf, I screwed it up and never got it right. Maybe you can do this one for me on Buttercup.
              You know, give you an excuse to make a road trip in the '53 when it's done. I'll buy lunch.
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Thanks, Jerry. No, that is not a water transfer. It is the original (unmolested) number plate ! Maybe, if I ever retire I won't be too old to make a road trip your way LOL. I am getting close on doing some local touring.

Comment

My dads second Studebaker was a -59 Lark wagon, red & red & that interior changed my way of looking at interiors; it was like a different world! So when I saw Josephine with red interior I was hooked, aint nothing better, but yours is ofcourse way nicer cus it's new...
                  sigpic

Josephine
                  Champion V8
                  4d sedan

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1840352Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1840353Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1840354Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1840355 Finished upholstery and most all interior, including the carpet ! A few items left inside, including sun visors, steering wheel and collar , and the windshield moldings. Then a good clean up on the inside and move to a few items outside. Then i have an appointment in one week to get front end alignment. Moving closer to the finished product and then the first stop on the Saturday Night Special's tour . Here's a few progress shots

Comment

This looks great! I ordered an interior for my 1962 Lark and 1957 Golden Hawk last September, still waiting for the material to finish them and the vehicles are sitting in my building sans interiors waiting for the delivery! I also have a 1958 Golden hawk and I really would like to do a new interior faster than ten months or a year. Can I ask where you got your material? My two interiors are on order from Southeast Studebaker, but the 1958 Golden Hawk interior is not on order as yet with anybody. I've thought of putting an interior from a wrecked vehicle, a Blazer or Silverado maybe, into the car but I'd really like to keep it Studebaker original. Any suggestions about suppliers or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Thank You, I appreciate the kind words The vinyl material for the seats, door panels, package tray and kick panels came from a local upholstery supply house.(The Colonial Shop in Montgomery , Alabama) I bought the hardboard sheets and cut out the panels. Then my wife and I built them back to make them have the same pattern the original. A friend and i worked together to do the seats to the same pattern as the original. The headliner and carpet came from automotive interiors in Belchertown, Ma. I installed them. If you aren't looking to restore to original, then most of your local upholstery shops can do the whole job for you, better than what i did. Or, you can do it yourself, then if you ain't happy who gonna call

Comment

With exception of a couple smalls I am finished inside. It's ready to drive anyway. It was off to the alignment shop yesterday, to get front end aligned. I been doin'um in my shop but it so hard now and takes so long I broke down and Paid the $74.50 to get a local shop do it for me.

Name:	IMG_0728.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	1841624
                          This is a local shop that has been around a long time. Does good work and is fair and honest,

Name:	IMG_0726.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1841625
                          Gotem on the rack, discussed the settings desired and he went to work. I'm hoping everything is good to go ??????

Name:	IMG_0725.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	1841626
                          You can notice in the second picture I still have the license plate , and license plate lights to finish, Also the 55 rear panel is in need of a little tweeking and painting before I get it on. You can see I don't have center caps on also. Still a few things to be done but if the front end aligns right I will be ready for a cruise in this weekend

Name:	IMG_0724.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1841627

All finished. alignment went great I'm ready to drive some Now off the rack, Go home get him cleaned up and license plate on. Be ready to ride while I finish a few things.

Comment

Flashback, this looks absolutely spectacular ! I really like the clean hood and deck, that should be the dictionary picture beside the word "smooth". One question..... am I seeing wrenches hanging from the cable across the front bumper area ? Good for you on getting this done, if we were still in AL., I'd want to head down and meet ya' and see the car . ( We lived in Rogersville before moving here. )

Comment

Thanks j.byrd ... LOL ,,The wrenches are an allusion. He has them hanging on a cable on the alignment rack. I am starting the final stages on the Saturday night special. A number of things to finish. Taking a little breather and doing small stuff first. LOL In the last few days I replaced the under dash courtesy light switch, and got it working correctly. Got my YOM tag cleaned and painted, put in new rubber bumpers, and installed my Studebaker tag cover. I know, its for the front and you can't see it good. So, I took yall a picture before I put it on

Name:	IMG_0559.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	1843505

Name:	IMG_0780.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1843506

Name:	IMG_0783.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1843507

Left tag light is being replaced

Name:	IMG_0786.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1843508
                              Last edited by Flashback; 06-29-2020, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                                Thanks j.byrd ... LOL ,,The wrenches are an allusion. He has them hanging on a cable on the alignment rack.
                                Why did he do dat?
                                Jerry Forrester
                                Forrester's Chrome
                                Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
                                X